What's new
What's new

When the Tailstock & Follower Rest are Heavier than a SB 13"

texasgeartrain

Titanium
Had a trip to the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Took a few pics I thought you guys might find amusing.

A lathe from Niles-Bement-Pond Co, Pond Works. And a South Bend 13" for scale :D:

13.jpg

Some other angles of pics. The headstock is in that red shed. The face plate a little hard to see due to lighting, but I'm figuring 6' to 8' in diameter:

14.jpg 15.jpg

I'll be posting more about the trip and some machines there in this thread:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...vy-yard-manual-heavy-iron-400364/#post3900155

Wow! awesome pics. Will definitely pop over to your thread. Look at that follow rest! Makes the 13 look like a toy!

you know you have a serious lathe when you have to build a house to contain the chips... thanks for the pic's, a history lesson of sorts when we were the manufacturing powerhouse of the world. Jim

I've had the privilege to run a old Niles boring lathe that would swing 5 foot over the flat ways the machine had. And this was a small one. The largest Niles lathe I've ever seen was one that would swing 12 foot over the ways. It had four flat ways on the bed. Front two ways the carriage rode on, the back two ways the headstock, tailstock, steadies were mounted on from what I remember. I don't ever recall seeing a follower rest, not even a catalog picture of one. And a classic picture at that, with a South Bend Lathe nested next to the Niles. That is cool! Ken

Back