What's new
What's new

Where does all the scrap go? How much those scrappers making?

We generate several tons of brass scrap (shavings and drops) every month, and those go back to the mill (Mueller Brass). They generally send their own rig to pick it up and we load up a full truckload at a time.
Usually this arrangement credits the scrap to the new material invoices. It is at a premium price because the mill knows the material chemistry.

A 350 ton steel converter is 60t every 20 minutes
Arc is full charge weight an hour ( bout 100-150t)
Extruders, 100% scrap mostly unless aerospace 60/40 virgin scrap
A plant can eat 50,000 tons of scrap in under 2 weeks
Simms used to supply “ frag” to the steelplant, great big tipper loads 24 hours a day, we had a scrapyard ( was my second home!) till a bale of tinplate scrap rolled and killed one of the operators, no pedestrians allowed after
Then the Metal recovery plant landed on my lap, we had weighbridges but often heaps were surveyed by actual surveyors to check the tonnage due to missing tonnage, full truck comes in, gets a tipping note and leaves without actually tipping, they had to go through another weighbridge on the way out after, they were always looking at ways to rip us off!
On top of that we had to fit and maintain gamma detectors for trucks to go through ( a certain rebar accidental contamination caused that) we did find radioactive scrap once, probably an old radiotherapy machine, worst part it was in frag, it had been shredded.
Tha main theft area was Ali, nearly all steel is AK or aluminium killed, thousands of tons get used in steelmaking, a week, lots of money there, wherever there’s money there’s someone trying to steal.
Mark

Are you going to say that you have seen this? Pics or it didn't happen.
Nothing on that magnitude, but I've found a ball bearing in chunks of generic steel from McMaster Carr. Hit something that machined differently and looked different in one spot so we threw it on the lapper then etched it. Cut down a bit, repeated, etc. I suppose it might not have been a 1/4" or so ball bearing, but it was spherical, harder, and etched differently.

One yard here was notorious for violence,as was the owner ,an ex boxing champion ...........there was a family of irish scrappies ,we called em the Munsters ,due to the resemblance ,tried to cheat the yard using a water tank in their truck.............There was always a turnover of weighbridge staff ,who tried to cheat the tally ,one way or another ...........Back in the day ,scrappies always had big bundles of cash ,and there was armed robberies ,bashings ,and worst of all......The Income Tax ..........someone'd say ,what happend to old Hoppy.....Tax Got Him.

Nothing on that magnitude, but I've found a ball bearing in chunks of generic steel from McMaster Carr. Hit something that machined differently and looked different in one spot so we threw it on the lapper then etched it. Cut down a bit, repeated, etc. I suppose it might not have been a 1/4" or so ball bearing, but it was spherical, harder, and etched differently.
If it’s continuous cast steel, like billot finding “ metallic inclusions” isn’t that rare, when the caster starts it starts pouring metal on a claw shaped thing called a ‘ dummy bar’ it’s attached to a withdrawal chain, like a flat link chain on steroids , about 10” square on a billot caster.
The initial pour can weld to the dummy bar so a few buckets of chills are tipped into the mould, this stops the welding and allows the chain to be detached.
The chills often contain nuts and bolts, punchings but I’ve found ball bearings in there too, they can be embedded in the steel where not wanted, even fall in the mould off the mould table after casting starts.
Mark

Big time scrap isnt for the faint hearted .....back in 2012 ,the price fell from $400 a ton to near zero overnight ,and more recently ,China banned scrap imports for while ,and that crashed the price overnight ...........Big pockets used the cheap periods to build up stocks ,but some yards here went broke .........At the moment prices in Oz pesos seem high due to the weakness of the currency............often the price will soar for a day or so when a ship is loading ,and there is unfilled cargo capacity ,then the yards will often contact people with collections of junk with a big price for one or two days only.

Scrap yards commodity metals - steel, and aluminum that got wet go to straight to mills (Nucor and Big River for steel, Alcoa for aluminum. Cans go to bell).
The very bizarre world starts with exotics. There are networks of gypsie gatherers - not the same (sometimes) as the curb scrappers- that get intel if you buy mid amounts of a particular metal. Bronze goes to the Caribbean and d1 heads to North Africa.
My friend has a scrap yard and he is terminal for broker that does d1. It is a refined infrastructure that is run mostly underground, all cash, yet has legal documentation, taxes, and fingerprints for everyone involved. He doesn’t pay the d1 gypsies, they get paid by the broker, he gets a cut for fingerprinting and holding material for 30 days (legal requirements).
Aluminum that has not gotten wet goes in the titanium storage barn. Different gypsies come and take it away.
Some people might be doing ok- the yard owners are not rolling in the money.
I spent 25 years in the scrap business and can't make sense of most of your post. What do you me4an by "scrapper"? Scrap dealer? Guy with a pickup gathering where and what he can find? What is d1? Why would bronze go to the Caribbean? Do you understand how brokers work at all? WTF difference would it make if aluminum got wet and how much would be that had not gotten wet? Why would it go to "the titanium storage barn"? And what do you mean by "gypsies"?

I must be outta the loop. Why the hate toward Steven Van Zandt?

He's an idiot at large. First, he's a grown-ass man who dresses like gypsy...WTF?

Second, he spends a great deal of time standing on stage railing against 'plastic'. That's right, in his pea brain he's decided the enemy is plastic, because plastic is produced by the Evil Oil Companies.

Bear in mind, as he's ranting, he's holding a guitar that uses plastic and speaking through a mic that's plastic. He also seems unfazed by the simple fact that the lives of hundreds of children each month are saved by - that's right - oil and plastic. Not to mention adults, too.

He's a thorough idiot.

It's a "family" business, if you are not in the family, your odds of getting into the top tier are slim to none, probably closer to none.

Our local yard (sold to Sims 15 yrs ago as the old guys all died off now) was a family owned yard, with their name as the business name. It was the most Jewish name that you could ever think of. But an older fella that I worked with when I was starting out had told me that they had actually changed their name when they got into the business.

Not sure if the story is true or not, but .... they got purty wealthy....

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

WTF difference would it make if aluminum got wet and how much would be that had not gotten wet? Why would it go to "the titanium storage barn"? And what do you mean by "gypsies"?
I do know that, if wet aluminum goes in the melting furnace, there can be a violent explosion that blows molten aluminum onto people and damages equipment. Hence there will be a scrap drier in line with the furnace feed, and the drier burns a lot of costly fuel. I suppose if the scrap could be guaranteed dry ahead of time and kept dry, the fuel cost would go away and the scrap price should be higher.

Our local yard (sold to Sims 15 yrs ago as the old guys all died off now) was a family owned yard, with their name as the business name. It was the most Jewish name that you could ever think of. But an older fella that I worked with when I was starting out had told me that they had actually changed their name when they got into the business.
Scrap yard in Waco: M.Lipsitz &Co. Everybody calls them Shitlips.. And they will rip you off with the best of 'em.

He's an idiot at large. First, he's a grown-ass man who dresses like gypsy...WTF?

Second, he spends a great deal of time standing on stage railing against 'plastic'. That's right, in his pea brain he's decided the enemy is plastic, because plastic is produced by the Evil Oil Companies.

Bear in mind, as he's ranting, he's holding a guitar that uses plastic and speaking through a mic that's plastic. He also seems unfazed by the simple fact that the lives of hundreds of children each month are saved by - that's right - oil and plastic. Not to mention adults, too.

He's a thorough idiot.

No experience with this guy, but the industry as a whole is largely of the same ilk.
I would like to see The Boss, but I have yet to, and I refuse to pay what he likely charges.

The Pretender's* thing is "NO Nukes!"

But then you have the coal people, and the ones who are worried about wind. Then there are the people who's focus in life is dams. Not sure yet if I have ever heard of a Lefty fussin' about solar yet or not?

Yet, even tho we may be in an outdoor amphitheater that otherwise would not require lighting, there is some, and plenty of juice for the amps, the vids, and the beer cooler.

Some will at least play an acoustic guitar, or a regular piano, but ultimately there is an electric pick-up on each of them somewhere....

It would seem that if you was really concerned about all of this, that you would be playing a smaller acoustic theater, heated with wood (unheated? Only tour in warmer months?) and lit with whale oil lamps, and serving warm ale beer. And their Silver Eagle should be a horse drawn Pullman car.

But - it's not, and they don't.
And that doesn't save any whales, and that would be domestic animal abuse, so ....

* Person, not group.
Chrissie's thing is child abuse.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I have reached out to a few recycling foundries. I figure those are the guys that will ultimately need the material. Tried to find ones that are reasonably small. On some of this scrap, it is raw solid drops and will be pushing several mil # a year. I figure these foundries will either have interest or might elude to info in the supply chain.

If you are talking Heavy Melt, you may want to target your search a bit.

Back-in-the-day, Prepared Heavy Melt was always around $100 more than shred, but these days it is typically upside down the same amount. Makes me wonder why I don't toss all the Heavy into the Shred bin?

So, IDK if the modern Electric Fired mills don't care for Heavy, nor Breakable Machine Cast?
If that is so, then maybe US Steel in Gary would be more interested in it? (Still coke fired?)

I can see them not wanting the BMC, but not sure why not the [prepared] Heavy?
I have seen the graphite electrodes that have gotten broken when a ladle load shifts as it melts.
We were actually looking into re-threading these 16" (?) electrodes several years ago, but I guess they lost interest in that...
That would be dirty work!

Also, if you are talking that kind of volume, I would think that you could reach a return agreement with the mill, as incoming scrap that matches your targeted output (melt mill) would Shirley be of more value than random scrap. This would likely be even more-so the case - the more alloyed it is.

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

When I cleared the yard,I got the same price for everything.......solid cast crane chassis and counterweights,and rusty clothes lockers and roofing iron ....all $400/ton..........yet nearer to me here ,is less for shred steel..........One problem with light stuff ,is you only get a couple of ton in a big hook bin,so transport cost is a factor .

The scrap business has much in common with the mafia.

Any old body can serve as an “originator” of scrap but you ain’t getting into the big boy’s club on top.

Much of the steel scrap generated in this area goes to NUCOR in Norfolk Nebraska.

Ive sold to foundries (when there were any-pre EPA) ,Brad-Ken/Bradford Kendal used to be local ,and would buy small heavy steel for their railway track castings........they moved to China..........I once got $800 a ton from them ,when there was a scrap shortage ,and they would cut up new stock rolled steel to melt at times.

A local yard ,Advanced Scrap Metals was bought by a family group as a business about 7 years ago now .......the mother in the office told me they knew nothing specific about scrap before buying the yard..........she was a bit distressed about my stories of the 1980s depression when steel scrap fell to a couple of dollars a ton for years .....In fact Sims were the only local scrap yard to stay open in the 80-84 period,and they wouldnt unload trucks ,you had to tip the scrap in their yard......Hard times for sure.

Back