What's new
What's new

Where to buy milling machines and lathes in Canada

I suffered 5 years of french lessons in school ( it was compulsory over here, to be honest I was bloody useless and mrs Gerrin had what I now consider a Sado /very sado relationship with me, she relentlessly batterd me with a chalkboard duster to the extent I was in danger of silicosis, if you get that from chalk, one day she drew blood, she felt so bad she gave me a big hug, I all but disappeared in the cleavage department, almost worth it )
I still have difficulty understanding french, I misunderstand it like a native
What does verboten mean anyway?
Mark ( ohhh I’m trilingual, can I claim for that)

What do you mean by "decent price"?

Your ambition is very common - pay almost nothing for a fabulous machine. That sometimes happens, but not very often (sort of like winning a lottery).
Yeah I get that, I know I will not be able to get a flawless machine and it will have some issues I will have to either work with or do something about, the thing is that I don't have a very big amount of money to spend on it since I am still studying. My budget is about 2'000$.

Marketplace and Kijiji, maybe LesPac. Keywords : Fraiseuse, milling, outils machiniste. Then try makes like Deckel, Gorton, Bridgeport, Schaublin, etc. AB Machinery in St-Laurent get some weird euro makes, sometimes the price is right. Head over to the Deckel forum here, there is a classified there in addition to the regular classifieds here. Consider Ontario and Gaspé, Atlantic region. Bidspotter can be good for local auctions. GAP machinery in Lachute have nice items at times. Don't forget eBay, you could narrow your search closer by.

On edit : Nice Deckel KF1 here for $1000 : https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autres-outils/ville-de-montreal/deckel-kf1-pantograph/1550327208 Fun to tinker with and spins high enough for micro milling. Light enough to move with a pallet lift, but top heavy so watch out.

I looked in Marketplace, there's a Bridgeport and this cool little Rockwell horizontal mill in your price range : https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1495579880899299/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:6e31aca8-7632-42d6-9239-b50a8e4e0072

Tony's site Lathes UK has TONS of info on the older equipment, great resource you would to well to spend some time there.

Post up what you find and good luck !

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ2
Yeah, while I was in Montreal, Joe Bergamo, at Plaza Tools was still around. I bought a pretty nice little Aamco Shaper from him when I visited his place in Bethel VT one weekend, and had one HELL of a grand time just wandering around, and being shown stuff by him. Pretty sure he had as much fun as I did, as I was interested in what he was interested in. Anyone only in it for the money, would have never spent the time with a obvious small time spender like me, but I really enjoyed the visit, and was saddened by his parting.
There are not as many of the 'old school' used machine tool dealers around any more, and especially not guys like Dave Sobel (never met, but ALWAYS looked at his ads first, when a new issue of HSM dropped!) and Joe Bergamo, who had a pretty solid idea what stuff was actually worth, as well as what the History of the various tool makers was, but there are still an awful pile of folks out there that would just like to BS about machine tools with an interested party!
The Jungle Drums in this line of shopping, are strong. Every guy seems to know two more guys that may have this or that that a fella might be looking for... It pays to spend some time just being out and about, and being interested!

The Montreal Live Steam Club is one possible place worth checking out. West of the City in Les Cèdres, QC. I met several interesting folks there, and got some good leads on machine tools too.

There’s a sweet Chen Yeh lathe on Bidspotter right now in Brantford. Bid is at $1450- a total steal for what is an excellent Taiwanese machine. 14” x 40” ish size.

My avatar photo is a 25” ish x 60” I had.

Back