What's new
What's new

Which laser source for stainless steel sheet (1-3mm)

TJMark

Plastic
Hi,

I'm sure there are some people who know a lot about lasers.
I was reading through co2 lasers, fiber lasers and diode lasers (last ones seem to be very interesting too but too weak at the moment).

Could someone give me some more information how much a laser source would cost which can cut 1-3mm stainless sheets?
Possibly also SMD stencils ranging from 70-150 micrometer.

As far as I have read fiber lasers are probably the best ones for this task.
Also I read that they are not cheap (but the quotations I got for cutting some stainless sheets were not cheap either, ranging from 250 (china) | 450 (spain) | - 700 USD (Taiwan) | 1000 - 3000 (U.S.) USD -- for one and the same part; I think it was within 3m2 stainless sheet many small parts)

I have a DIY VMC and I would not mind installing a laser source on it and trying to study which software to use with it (currently I'm using linuxcnc).
I have read that raycus seems to have some fiber sources (I'll also ask there), but maybe someone has some knowledge about the current market prices for laser sources and can put some answers here into the forum.

thanks.

Does anyone have experience with RECI fiber lasers?
I was in contact with them and their 1kW unit seems to be interesting (also from a price point of view).
Those additional parts shouldn't be a big issue. Height control could be done with some panasonic distance sensor, not a big deal.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with RECI fiber lasers?
I was in contact with them and their 1kW unit seems to be interesting (also from a price point of view).
Those additional parts shouldn't be a big issue. Height control could be done with some panasonic distance sensor, not a big deal.
Distance sensor needs to be capacitive to control distance exactly from point of nozzle to metal. My laser can cut aluminum diamond plate and nozzle follows the surface perfectly.

Last I looked Raycus had the most affordable fiber laser sources. I would go 1kw or more for that application but I haven't used them before.

Back