What's new
What's new

Who makes good work boots in the USA?

Bringing an old thread back because others have asked.

I started this because one of our main local boot sellers had quit carrying USA made boots. Well, they have brought back USA boots, and now more than ever. (The only local place to have USA made workboots as far as I know.
Yesterday I got myself a pair of USA Redwings for the first time ever. Super comfortable from the first minute. I wanted steel toe, but they didn't have steel toe in the USA line, just the imports.
Crazy thing is, the USA Redwings are only $10 more than the Chinese Redwings.... ?
The local supplier also has USA Justin's and 2 others, but I was after the Redwings. I preferred their style.

I have White's boots. Farmer/Rancher. I have foot problems(apparently forty plus years on concrete is not good for feet) and the White's are better for me than Red Wings with RX insoles. My problem is metatarsalitis.

Red Wing 964 is my boot of choice and I will buy another pair but as you can see this pair took a shit on me. Little over a year old.

Brent

20150411_230030.jpg

I got my first pair of Red Wings when my son was 3 years old. He's 33 now and I still have that same pair of boots, on their 3rd set of soles. The leather is starting to look a bit ratty (I have kept them well oiled for all those years), so I decided maybe it was time to get a new pair, which I did 3 years ago. The first pair is till in the closet, and I still wear them once in a while. The new ones are very nice, but steel toed and kinda heavy, so I don't wear them as much as I did the first pair. I just can't see paying the same money for Chinese junk when I can get good American made stuff. If I have to buy Chinese junk, it should at least be half the price!

...Chippewa 27899...wear like iron...steel toes...make you look like James Dean...

27899-1.jpg

Rebel-Without-a-Cause-classic-movies-16483790-800-1000.jpg

This article probably ought to be in the "Manufacturing in America etc." subforum, but the thread started here: http://www.wickedlocal.com/x1959832...City-Brockton-loses-its-last-factory/?Start=1

I grew up in Brockton, MA fka Shoe City. Watched the industry die. The manufacturers for the most part really did try to keep it going here, but cheap foreign competition ate away at their sales. As the article notes, niche manufacturers like Footjoy (high-priced specialty shoes) lasted the longest.

When the factories were folding rapidly in the 1950s and 1960s they went overseas of course, but to Spain, Italy and Portugal. Countries which do have a long tradition of leather work. Later they went to Asia.

High-priced mens' dress shoes still come from Italy and the Italian-speaking cantons of Switzerland.

Many of the laid-off workers in Brockton set up shop as cobblers and I always went there to have shoes re-soled. Now they're all gone too.

I have tried redwings they have been the best so far. last pair outlived their warranty by two months. Too bad because I just broke them in.

I have found that redwings builds a common boot for a common foot. I am uncommon, a freak of nature I guess. Their boot does not fit my calf muscle. . . from riding bicycles it is pretty big.

That makes the leather push down and rub the heal out.

Also my heal protrudes away from my foot as to make a slope and red wings are all pretty much made for someone with a straight heal. This causes the liner to wear out fairly quickly and I end up patching it with mole skin.

I am going to have a set made from Whites boot company as soon as I stop buying clapped up skid steers.

Tip: If you put shoe goo on the tip of your boots, it will protect the leather.
Amazon.com: Sof Sole Shoe Goo, Clear: Camping And Hiking Equipment: Shoes

When working in the yard moving the wheel barrow and logs, I tend to kick things but with the glue it shields the leather to make it last longer.

I to tend to kick things and am hard on the toes of my boots. I highly recomend KG's boot guard Steel Toe Work Boot Protection . In the past I have often worn the leather on the right toe of ny boot throught to the steel toe but with the boot guard this is no longer a problem

I like my steel toed Red Wings.

For walking around and standing they are more comfortable than my school shoes (Vasque hiking boots).

I like my steel toed Red Wings.

For walking around and standing they are more comfortable than my school shoes (Vasque hiking boots).

Which model steel toe do you have?
Since my local shops don't have the steel toe flavors I may need to order some.
I just couldn't bring myself to order $200 boots before having a pair...

I have tried redwings they have been the best so far. last pair outlived their warranty by two months. Too bad because I just broke them in.

I have found that redwings builds a common boot for a common foot. I am uncommon, a freak of nature I guess. Their boot does not fit my calf muscle. . . from riding bicycles it is pretty big.

That makes the leather push down and rub the heal out.

Also my heal protrudes away from my foot as to make a slope and red wings are all pretty much made for someone with a straight heal. This causes the liner to wear out fairly quickly and I end up patching it with mole skin.

I am going to have a set made from Whites boot company as soon as I stop buying clapped up skid steers.

This is why I prefer a shorter boot. Most of the USA made boots I find are 8" or 10" with a few 6"
The Redwings I got are 6" and that is almost too tall.

Which model steel toe do you have?
Since my local shops don't have the steel toe flavors I may need to order some.
I just couldn't bring myself to order $200 boots before having a pair...

They're a 4470.
Product Detail

IIRC these were under $200 and apparently Red Wing is having a bit of a sale.
Boots That Last. A Sale That Won't - Red Wing Shoes Spring Sale

This is why I prefer a shorter boot. Most of the USA made boots I find are 8" or 10" with a few 6"
The Redwings I got are 6" and that is almost too tall.

Mine are 11" tall, wouldn't want them any shorter, but I use them in more of a farm environment than a machine shop. The height helps to keep crap from getting in the boot.

Back