What's new
What's new

Who makes good work boots in the USA?

metalmaster10

Stainless
Work boots.... Many of us use them so I really don't feel this is "off topic"
Here is my issue... Who make good ones IN THE USA?
I wore boots for 10 to 15 years, usually cheap ones, then stepped up to nice ones from Doc Martin a dozen or so years ago. Then I switched to sneakers at my old job for a decade. Out large parts weighed 2 ounces so dropping something posed very little risk to feet.
However, at my new place 3 years ago I tore off a big toenail when a large vise slipped that I was trying to pick up. FORTUNATELY it was already on the floor and only "slid" over my foot...which is what tore my nail off. Needless to say this is when I went back to wearing boots, and now steel toe! That would have saved me months of pain... Hind site!
I have been thru 3 pairs and I need new ones.
I got a pair of Wolverines first. They fell apart and I debated but gave them another chance because I thought they were a "good" brand. I got a second pair...I was wrong! 3 months and they were falling apart too.:icon_bs:
I then got a pair of Sketcher steel toe work boots that I have been pretty pleased with until recently. I got a little over a year out of them and they were comfortable the whole time. They just all of a sudden over the course of a week or so came apart at the seams. All of them! Like a solvent had dissolved the threads, but I don't work with nasty solvents.
I went today to buy another pair of the sketchers at the local farm store where I got the last pair, they don't have the Sketcher work line anymore, just the sneakers.
They have plenty of the POS Wolverines. $125 a pair, and made in China! I went to the next isle...John Deere branded boots... Made in China. Next isle, made in China, you get the idea. They had some cowboy style Justin boots that were made in the US, but their "work boots" are made in....China.
Next isle, more Chinese boots. I left without new boots.
ALL OF THEM $80 to $150 a pair and made in China!:toetap:
Now I don't take the import thing to the extreme, but I want to keep my money close when I can. I will pay another few dollars for US made boots ..... IF I CAN FIND THEM! :willy_nilly:
New Balance still makes shoes in the US. Have you priced them lately? Comparable with the other "big name" made in china shoes. The only real difference is that the New Balance shoes actually have an arch support for those of us who stand all day, not so for many or the others. That is what got me to switch to NB sneakers a dozen years ago... The arch support.
So, after a long story and rant, who makes GOOD BOOTS IN THE U.S.? I'm simply wanting a short hiker style steel toe boot that is actually comfortable to be in for 12 hrs a day.
Why is this so tough? It's not exactly a space shuttle launch! Just boots. And I don't want the dang steel guard cutting into the side of MY toes either!:angry:

I switched from Red Wings to Timberland Pro Titans, after trying a few others, and am a big fan. They are just about as comfortable as the Skechers and last 2X longer. I *think* they are made in the USA. I do know Duluth trading sells some USA made boots, haven't tried them though.

i agree , pricey but i am on my feet most of the day and i cant complain I only buy the rated steel toe made in usa for the last 25 years....

I where Chippawa boots http://www.chippewaboots.com/ that are made IN the USA and are very comfortable and are still in good shape after about 4 years. My last boots were red wing I went out of my way to get the U.S. boots but they did not stand up and I was extremly disapointed in them. In my opinion there is no comparison between the red wing and the Chippiwa. I wouldn't take a free pair of red wings but I would happily pay a few hundred dollars for A pair of chippawas when I next need them a few years in the future

I learned much the same lesson about Sketchers. I think they come out of some extrusion press, like Cheetos or licorice (either of which would have provided better foot protection than Sketchers).

2 words...Red Wing

you'll never regret spending the money and you'll never look back.
just stay away from their cheaper 'worx' line.

The longest I could wear any work boot was 6 months. Then I tried Red Wings. 2 years wear, time after time.
Have worn them 35 years now. I don't even consider anything else. Just like machine tools you get what you pay for.
Worth every dime to me as my feet don't hurt either like the cheap junk shoes. Yes 2 words "Red Wings"

If you don't mind Made In Canada then Terra !
Made in Newfoundland.
Been wearing them past 20 years, I go through a pair
a year but wear them year round seven days a week.
I do everything with them from working, mowing my lawn to
wrenching on my old cars :
Terra Footwear > Home

I recently bought a pair of Throughgoods. Steel toe flat sole. Comfortable as hell in the store, brought them home a little neatsfoot oil and away I go. A week later I'm at the foot Doc getting a Cortisone shot in my heal. I don't know if it was the boots or not. Thinking they bend where my foot isn't suppose to.

I became a Red Wing man in 2003 when I started into the saw room for a big CNC shop. I had never owned steel-toed boots before then, but when I went on my search for the required "safety shoes", the FIRST criteria I had personally was Made in the U.S.A.

My first pair were Red Wing 2233's, and I applied the toe protectors that you glue on to keep the toe leather from going to hell from beating against pallets, machine bases, etc. while working. Stiff at first, but I had been raised by my Dad to take care of my boots, and after applying neatsfoot oil religiously to the boots after each shift for a week, they softened and broke in very nicely. I wore that pair of boots for 6 years, with numerous insole replacements.

My wife got me a pair of 2238's to replace my old trusty boots (thanks, Babe!), but I found a problem-the tag said "Made in U.S.A. with domestic and imported material". My old 2233's were made here, no question. I did wear those boots, gave them the same care I did the previous pair, and they lasted me 5 years. Not complaining.

The boots I'm wearing as I type this are 2233's, the same model I started wearing. They will always be my pick for quality, comfort, longevity, and just because they are a classic American work boot.

I highly recommend them!

I have worn redwings with the white soles on them for decades but now I am going to have a pair of boots custom made by Wesco. My wife has accused me of being an industrialsexual instead of a metrosexual. They will custom make work boots so I am having some really cool ones made with steel toes and metatarcel gaurds. They will be bull hide and have heavy soles. They take several months to get made I just got the fit kit.

Years ago I worked in steel coil processing plant. Moving 80,000 Lb rolls of steel. First time I needed steel toe boots. I did what some of the guys did. Go to Kmart buy some $30 pair of boots. two months later buy another. Got moved to nights and another building. Got talking with one of the machine operators one night about needing yet another pair of boots. He showed me his 4 years old Red Wings. That was in 95. I no longer work in that line of work however I still ware Red Wing boots. Best money spent. Just be sure the place you buy them from KNOW how to fit a boot to your foot! Place I go to is the same place I bought my first pair. I pick up a pair, guy asked what I did for a living, said this other pair would work out better. Not sure if the other pair would have worked but I LOVED the ones he showed me after having them for about two weeks.

I would get about 1 1/2 years but my problem was the steel sheets would cut the front of the boot toe. Never had a pair fall apart on me.

Chippewa, best boots I have ever had, including Red Wings. Getting ready for my second set of soles on them, still in great shape after 3 years, even still have the first set of shoe strings in them. The last time I went boot shopping my Red Wing dealer only stocked china made ones and I refused to pay that much for china made boots. Later Jason.

Back