What's new
What's new

Why are pink granite surface plates far less common than black & grey?

Spud

Diamond
Watching auctions for granite surface plates for over a year now, and noticed that pink ones are far less common than black and grey. Black ones are the most common. Is it because the pink ones are usually AA grade , and most shops don't need this grade?

No, it's not because pink ones are grade AA. Because they aren't necessarily.

Pink has more quartz and is thus harder and longer lasting. Black ones are stiffer and don't need to be as thick. So they're usually cheaper.

Also, Asian plates are black, and they are cheap, so they are common.

I thought they, pinks were a higher price. They are my favorite but I have a black plate

Granite comes all different colors, I have seen a light blue granite that would make a very nice plate. White would be cool.

Last edited:
I'm no geologist, but a quick Google search seems to indicate that it's just not that common, and is found in small deposits in certain locations.

I believe Starrett's plates are processed in somewhere in Minnesota. Might be a deposit somewhere near there.

I'm surprised that something in New Hampshire didn't pop up, being the "Granite State" and all 🙂

I think the pink stuff comes from Lawton, Comanche Co., Oklahoma, or Ruby Red Quarry, in Wisconsin. Hard to tell, the stuff from Wisconsin seems to be more red than pink.

According to Starrett, Herman stone was purchased to acquire the surface plate and granite gage capabilities, Herman stone originally sourced its granite form https://nbgqa.com/salisbury-pink/, not sure if Starrett still sources all its granite from Salisbury.

Last edited:
The pink ones turn a really nice shade of light blue if you leave hi-spot sitting in one place overnight.
They wear slower, but being more flexible have to be thicker. This alone will make them more expensive.

My Herman Grade A is a sort of brownish that resembles Instant Ralston cereal, Kretschmer's Wheat Germ, or Old World buckwheat "kasha".. it can be found in the lighter, browner, end of the colour range of the "red" "Balmoral" granite family.

"Balmoral" granite is one of the best choices for flooring because it hides iron stains well. Lighter coloured granite flooring can be very vulnerable to rust discoloration.

AFAIK, that quarry was somewhere in Pennsylvania?

Not to forget that surface plate source material cost has to compete with grave marker and architectural use of granite that is several orders of magnitude higher as to tonnage of demand.
seems like the granite kitchen craze is taken over by synthetic quartz. Surface plates now only have to compete with dead people.

My old Herman Pink has more white and less gray than the stuff from Salisbury as judged from online pictures, so who knows what the source is :). I know it is pink and i like it

Last edited:
seems like the granite kitchen craze is taken over by synthetic quartz. Surface plates now only have to compete with dead people.

My old Herman Pink has more white and less gray than the stuff from Salisbury stuff as judged from online pictures, so who knows what the source is :). I know it is pink and i like it
I thought the trend was hardwood slab countertops?

I cook.

I'd guess you do not?

"Pretty" is for the seating and serving areas. Not for food prep.

But no. I don't like stone for work areas.

Counter & work surface have to be really easy to keep sterile and easy to swap-out for fresh surfaces as-not-when damaged.
'Coz damage they get.

Ignorant white Micarta suits for non-commercial use. Cheap to change.
I cook my food, because no one else makes it the way I like it.

If you are looking at that pink DA surface plate, so am I, so keep your grubby paws off it, and shipping to Wiscansin is going to cost more than its worth. And you know what they say about guys with pink plates:gossip:
:D
Not looking at any particular auction right now. Will purchase one at auction for my Tesa-Hite 700 in the near future but it has to be located close-by (Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois) because I will collect in person. I almost never have anything shipped due to cost of crating / palletizing and shipping.

Just never seen one in the size I want. Everything is either too big or too small. Looking for something that is around 3 feet by 2 feet. Anything bigger will be too heavy for me. Anything smaller and it limits work envelope with the Tesa.

Watching auctions for granite surface plates for over a year now, and noticed that pink ones are far less common than black and grey. Black ones are the most common. Is it because the pink ones are usually AA grade , and most shops don't need this grade?
A guy that resurfaced plates told me Herman was the best and that the place they quarried them ran out of that particular vein of granite. The Herman was a brownish color and was super smooth. I have a 3 X 5 Starrett and it is pink not brownish like the Herman. If I remember correctly, I believe he said the Herman come from a quarry in New Hampshire.

If I had a ton of money and nothing to do I would start a surface plate manufacturing business of a very light color plate, perhaps light blue or white.
Buck's Stay Clean Longer Plate.

That is why I like pink plates, they seem cleaner and you know when they are dirty.

Perfectly flat +- .003 white surface plate.(likely made on countertop material.
0 available76 sold / See feedback

Last edited:
I'm no geologist, but a quick Google search seems to indicate that it's just not that common, and is found in small deposits in certain locations.

I believe Starrett's plates are processed in somewhere in Minnesota. Might be a deposit somewhere near there.

I'm surprised that something in New Hampshire didn't pop up, being the "Granite State" and all 🙂

The granite up here is the color of sidewalk curbs. Its nothing that special.

I thought the Starrett ones that were Pink came from the plant that is in S.C. because it is near the Appalachians. This is all speculation on my end, I have no hard facts.

Granite comes in different colors and is found all over the world. Some is rare and some is not. They probably use what is available locally. Shipping heavy granite all over the world would be very costly.

White granit from Brizil and Inia. (and perhaps other places)

Blue

Most of the pink granite out there comes from Marble Falls, Texas! I'm sure some of it is used for surface plates, too. Our state capital building is made of pink granite. I have a small 2-ledge 18 x 24 Starrett Pink Granite surface plate here. Darn thing is almost 6" thick!

Back