What's new
What's new

Why would anybody use Fusion 360?

here's a novel idea... dont delete the files, and if you used a subscription cam to program it and havent been paying for it, pay for a month to make small edits/repost, then stop paying again?

I have a better solution - for me at least - I just keep the old software running. It does everything I need or will ever need.

You know they are only going subscription because all they have to offer now is dark screens, which is annoying shit anyhow. If they had any real improvements, then people would continue to buy newer versions and none of this would be an issue.

here's a novel idea... dont delete the files, and if you used a subscription cam to program it and havent been paying for it, pay for a month to make small edits/repost, then stop paying again?

i swear, sometimes it sounds like y'all are just a bunch of old farts that like to complain for the sake of complaining.

View attachment 402996

+1 on this one right here!

I save damn near every file, you never know if something will come back. I do a lot of "one offs" but occasionally something will come back months later, sometimes with or without a REV change, in some cases I swap the parts out in SW if there's not too much of a change and I can make all the tool paths work, but even if I can't sometimes it's nice to reference an old program on a complex part if it does come back years later. Memory refresher - "oh yea, I had that custom tool made by XXXX for this feature" Ya never know how useful it can be.

I conclude that you are trolling, because you know the answer and you know that I know the answer. In case you think I haven't I have indeed factored that into my decision. If you have never lost access to any of your data because of a software or hardware company's actions you are a lucky individual.
Short version - I've been orphaned twice in 36 years in CAD/CAM alone. First by CADMAX, second by Smartcam/Point control. Remember the original Smartcam? was terriffic for the time, still has better precision toolpath control than anything else. Both were industry leaders at the time of purchase. Smartcam was better than Mastercam in the 80s-90s, worked somewhat similar, had a larger installed base. Point Control was bought by SDRC who killed Smartcam outright, I'm told it was done to acquire software engineeers for SDRC. We were given permanent non-expiring license files to ease the hate. I still have Smartcam. Is the program or data useable today? No. Had to start over, chose Edgecam. A couple corporate acquistions later, I hate Edgecam, and am starting over again. Some of my products are 36 years old, none of that old data is useable today, but not because of my actions or choices. I almost went back to the new Smartcam, was studying it, chose Fusion for now.
CADMAX was also the industry leader. The very first 3D system ported to the 80386 chip from Minicomputers. direct competitor to Anvil 5000 in it's day. Remember Anvil?
CADMAX died a corporate death. So I started over with Solid Edge version 3 from Integraph. Remember Intergraph? 3 owners later I'm dealing with Siemens. Ugh. I still have CADMAX. I can't use CADMAX or the data today. I occasionally access a 2D dxf file saved from those old drawing files, but that's usually an act of desperation.
I felt held hostage by Edgecam because without tech support the licensing among other things can be incredible troublesome in certain situations and kept maintenance going for several years longer than useful out of fear.
Finally I said fuckit and jumped ship to fusion, figuring if I'm eventually getting screwed over I may as well do it for cheap. And I do actually like it better.
I'm now nearly at that point with SE, I'm going to jump off their boat before I have to switch to subscription.
Then there are the similar stories of accounting software and ERP software. They all suck.
There is no real "Perpetual" licensing in the PC world eventually what you have will stop working, it's a matter of when and why. Dongles, licensing problems, PC hardware, operating systems, just plain obsolesence.
I used to do work for a world leading medical company. They have all their old software installed on archived machines just in case they need to access it. What a pain in the butt. Imagine trying to find someone to use a 30 year old superseded software package. They'll be placing ads in old age homes on the lobby notice boards.

I've been a Autodesk user for over 30 years but it still pisses me off the way they treat their customers. I'm sure a lot of other companies do the same or would given the opportunity.

Imagine trying to find someone to use a 30 year old superseded software package.
As long as EDLIN is not required, I'm up for it :)

They'll be placing ads in old age homes on the lobby notice boards.
For a while the airlines were paying good money to COBOL programmers. They probably downgraded to javascript or some such crap since then, tho :(

As long as EDLIN is not required, I'm up for it :)

For a while the airlines were paying good money to COBOL programmers. They probably downgraded to javascript or some such crap since then, tho :(
I was going to say they could hire you but thought you might think I am inferring that you are ready for the retirement home:D

As I have stated many times about Fusion.... It is affordable. You get a full design suite and a full 5:axis cam suite (HSMworks... The easiest and most i tuitive CAM package I have ever used) for the price of passing gas near a MasterCAM and solidworks reseller. Doing the math using my yearly sub to Fusion with CAM I can rent Fusion with CAM for 20 years before I break even with what is needed with SW and MC single license. OH YEAH. Don't forget MC charging 5 to 10 k for a post processor.... Autodesk gives them out for free.

No... I do not work for or get paid by Autodesk. I have been using SW since 98 and MC since version 6. I have since phase nearly all my job shop work to Fusion.

Back