What's new
What's new

Why would anyone want a forklift with no free lift ? (video)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member

2018 model...nice 3,500 lb LP pneumatic.... except the mast will crash into your warehouse lighting fixtures just lifting 6 feet or so. Why would anyone want one like that ?? Surprising anyone still makes one like that... :confused:

Last edited:
Boy it sure is a shocker when you get on a lift that doesn't have freelift after owning modern forklifts for years. I totally forgot about the top of the mast until I recently got an old Hyster H80C. Definitely on the lookout for a newer mast!

I have a 4wd JCB that is that way, we keep it out side but it is still a pita sometimes but it will drive around in 2+ feet of snow and it was priced right, the new set of tires cost more than the lift.
I have a little dual tire Clark for inside work.

My 3 older forklifts are all simple two stage with no free lift. I have mostly high ceilings 15+ feet. They are not an issue here. My Mits with free lift is nice in low height areas but one area in my building is only accessible through a couple of doors that are too low for it to enter. The lil Clark Clipper is the only option. I agree that any 3 stage mast should have free lift, I guess there is a cheap option for fleet buyers?

Something like the lift in the video would be fine in a big box store or shop with high ceilings. A major user like a company that buys hundreds of lifts at a time may spec cheaper masts? A couple thousand per lift on hundreds of lifts is enough to give a bean counter chest pains.

Something is wrong with it...one of the masts is sticking to it's neighbor on the way up.

It happened to my Nissan.
It worked itself out....or it was low on fluid, or it was a rock... I don't remember the fix or the reason, and I didn't run into the door, but it did seem sketchy.

Neighbor bought a used Nissan. About useless inside as it could not put anything on top of something about 4 foot high when inside.

I have no idea on what used forklifts are worth.
Assuming a normal free lift mast, that would be a very good buy for such a late 3500 pneumatic LP Nissan in today's market where new shipments are often 6 months or more out and late used trucks selling for more than new price ! New price on a Nissan that size and type about $28,000

Last edited:
During WW2 my father was stuck for about 6 weeks at the air field in Miami Beach after he had his apendix out. Since he had nothing better to do the sarrgaent in charge of the motor pool taught him to drive every vechile they had cranes, tow trucks, fuel truck, boom hoist truck etc etc.
He said it was fun to do and lots of different ones. He never used the skills during his service but until he was allowed to use the bridge crane at work decades latter.
Bill D

My nephew took tractor driving class at Cal Poly for credits

Back