What's new
What's new

Wiggler vs Center finder?

Dieseltech870

Plastic
This is coming from someone who is still wet behind the ears in this world. In today's modern manufacturing practices, what's the preferred tool? Or is it a job/user preference? To me it seems like the versatility goes to the wiggler but I could be wrong. Just curious.

Some people use these 1663991626160.png.......Other people what ever the job requires......Wiggler, edge finder, center finder , gauge blocks/w indicator, Toolmakers chair w/indicator,.......Pick one....

In ten years I have used my edge finder 99% of the time. I have never found a need for a wiggler (someone will come along after me and say how great they are I'm sure.)

If I ever just need to roughly center on a scribed line I use a 1mm or 2mm ejector pin with a finely sharpened point on it. (ejector pin = finely ground hardened pin used to push out parts in plastic injection moulds)

If you are trying to find the center of something with no digital read out or finding the center of a bore I would usually sweep an indicator.

It's pretty hard to beat a good Starrett edge finder, if you're going off of a corner of a squared up block.

Of course if you're simply picking up a scribed line, then a wiggler is your tool of choice.

I have found the edge finding option of the wiggler to be hard to repeat sometimes. That's why I avoid using them.

Your mileage may vary.

Agreed with above- though very occasionally I have found the wiggler edge finder probe helpful on workpieces with clearances/features which don't permit use of an edgefinder; the wiggler diameter is very small and its fairly long. I've never used the ball probe on the wiggler however.

In trade school we were told that there was a sequence in accuracy of location. That the wiggler was good to (IIRC) about +- .004, the edge finder to +- .001-.002, and the toolmaker's chair type edgefinder if you needed tenths.

In practice I use the edge finder almost all the time because I'm working to a dimension from some edge. If it's just a layout where I have scribed lines but outside features are irrelevant, the wiggler comes out. I also find I use the centerdrill or spotting drill to pick up layout lines but that's partly laziness. One tool has a 1/2" shank and the other a 3/8" so if it means swapping collets I may avoid it.

There's probably also some historical experience behind what's used. If there is a chuck in a machine that had some wear and runout, just chucking up the centerdrill would leave the point with runout too. The wiggler can at least be brought to the spindle centerline regardless of chuck or spindle runout.

Can anyone explain or point to a good explanation of them?
It is a multi-application tool for the mill.

There is a main body with a round socket on one end. Multiple tips are provided in the kit. One is a simple pointer, that you center up when the spindle is turned on, usually around 1000 rpm. You tighten up a detent collar and get it running true, then line up with a pre scribed line/lines.

There are also usually two tips that have a ball on the end instead of a pointer. You install one of these balls, that are a given diameter.

You then use it exactly like an edge finder and move against the ball until it "flops" over. You then move half the diameter of the ball to find the exact edge of your workpiece. (theoretically)

The smaller ball is for areas where the large ball won't fit.

Hope this helps

Well, at 87 I guess I am a youngster by your standards.

But I not only have a wiggler, I do know how to use it. At least the basics.

Perhaps you will educate all of the youngsters here on the finer points.

Most people under the age of 97 have never seen a wiggler, much less know how to use it.

Bingo! You beat me to it. Which one you use speaks to what the job requires. Working from an edge? Well, the EDGE FINDER is the tool to grab. Need to work to a scribed line? Then use the wiggler.

Some edge finders have an end with a point which can be used much like the wiggler is. Perhaps that is a good compromise tool that the beginner may want to consider.

And neither one is going to provide tenths accuracy.

In trade school we were told that there was a sequence in accuracy of location. That the wiggler was good to (IIRC) about +- .004, the edge finder to +- .001-.002, and the toolmaker's chair type edgefinder if you needed tenths.

In practice I use the edge finder almost all the time because I'm working to a dimension from some edge. If it's just a layout where I have scribed lines but outside features are irrelevant, the wiggler comes out. I also find I use the centerdrill or spotting drill to pick up layout lines but that's partly laziness. One tool has a 1/2" shank and the other a 3/8" so if it means swapping collets I may avoid it.

There's probably also some historical experience behind what's used. If there is a chuck in a machine that had some wear and runout, just chucking up the centerdrill would leave the point with runout too. The wiggler can at least be brought to the spindle centerline regardless of chuck or spindle runout.

OK, I'll admit to having several wigglers acquired who-knows-where. Not sure if I've ever used one, grabbing the edge finder every time. Do people work to scribed lines anymore? I might scribe lines to be sure I'm not making some dumb-ass mistake by having a dial off by a turn or something, but most things need accuracy well beyond scribed lines. Sure, with care and a magnifier you can get surprisingly close with scribed lines, but there are usually easier ways. Next you'll tell me people still use toolmakers buttons. (Yeah, I've got several sets of those too!) Extra points for using toolmakers buttons and a wiggler at the same time!

I have a pile of wigglers. Probably two new that I bought myself and picked up the rest from piles of stuff I bought on ebay or flea market etc. One handy application for them is reaching down to edge find a diameter from the top with the edge finding ball. They can reach center on quite a bit larger diameter than a normal edge finder. Also into deeper areas, etc. Mostly I used them on larger machines like HBMs. The small disc is handy for getting into a narrow slot too.

Oh, and Hi @Forrest Addy ! Been a while. Good to see you still around.

I have a wiggler, edge finder, toolmaker buttons, and two different chairs. With any of these I'll set "0" and go back for a confirmation reading. But when using a wiggler with the ball ends resist the temptation to have your fingers close by to reset the device. That ball hurts when it flips into orbit at speed. Not that this happened to me of course.....

I have a wiggler, edge finder, toolmaker buttons, and two different chairs. With any of these I'll set "0" and go back for a confirmation reading. But when using a wiggler with the ball ends resist the temptation to have your fingers close by to reset the device. That ball hurts when it flips into orbit at speed. Not that this happened to me of course.....

Also, don't run it too fast. Didn't happen to me either... Nope. *Just looking for my wiggler ball that broke off...*. :D

Back