What's new
What's new

Wilson Rockwell Hardness Maintenance

medavido

Plastic
I am getting used to a 4 OUR Wilson Hardness Tester and the readings are close to test block values. To get closer I will need to do required maintenance and this involves cleaning with naphtha and use of three types of lubrication.

First for the head, I have seen recommendations to use a light oil like might be used on a Starrett gauge's fine threads.

Second, although maybe not and immediate need, for the reservoir, a few have posted they used 10 wt non-detergent oil or similar hydraulic fluid.

The third type oil is for the elevation screw, and I am baffled by this one. I have only found this quote from a 2012 Practical Machinist post; "To know for sure we would have to have a detailed specification sheet on the "Eel Skid Oil". I really couldn't find any useful information about it other than it has a gravity of 0.8713 and that it was compared to DTE oil specifically Tractor Hydraulic Oil of a medium light weight."

I would appreciate any help on identifying suitable products for early Wilson Rockwell Hardness tester maintenance.

Thanks,
David O

We have the same model tester in our inspection area. I'm not sure if it's kosher, but I've always used a light-to-medium weight ND motor or hydraulic oil on our vertical screw. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

(and as a side note, if anyone happens across an extra side cover for one of these, drop me a line! There's one on each side that's held on with a flat spring clip, but one of ours is missing).

We have the same model tester in our inspection area. I'm not sure if it's kosher, but I've always used a light-to-medium weight ND motor or hydraulic oil on our vertical screw. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

(and as a side note, if anyone happens across an extra side cover for one of these, drop me a line! There's one on each side that's held on with a flat spring clip, but one of ours is missing).

Back