What's new
What's new

"Win the Lottery" Home Garage Machine(s)?

If I had my pick of the litter for a small machine for doing fun things I'd get a Kern Micro Pro for micromachining fancy watch parts.
Yeah, those are gorgeous machines. Price aside I do think I'm looking for something a bit more general-purpose though. Some of my parts do weigh more than a feather.

Or.... spend that 10mil on hookers and blow. Then pay Xometry two nickels every time you want a phone mount made for your new Ferrari, your choice.
^^^ My brother* did that - in spite of numerous "Hand jobs" - it's really hard to compete with Drugs and Hookers...

~ And then try to score a government grant have Harwell Nuclear facilities / JET project to "Make" it all for him.
Vulture investor distracted by ... ( I can't go there) ...
When your actual brother phones you up and says 'Eric we can do it like "Intel inside" badge " and he's taking advice from / being coached by Russian / British wannabe oligarchs of the centi-millionaire variety. Not understanding He's goona get taken as well. (facepalm).

"Live" and "learn".
Seriusly (sp).

________________________________________________________________________________

* The Tony Blair of Watchmaking... Not even the Barry Manilow of Physics ... Stupid ME for wanting to stick to civilian applications Duh.

Last edited:
Okuma M560 or something in that line with plenty of options and a small and large rotary so I have one of the right size for the job. Hey, you said win the lottery so I am not going to dick around with toy mills for a garage shop for prototypes and small runs. I want something with a bit of size just in case.

Unfortunately this is one area I'm constrained. Unless I move (and I like the location too much for other reasons) it's tough to squeeze anything too much bigger than a 28x44' building onto the site. I'm planning a basement in the back third of it (with a properly engineered floor/ceiling) so total space will be around 1400sqft with 700 of that being a heavy duty pad on the ground. I'm less concerned about this because I've been working comfortably in more like 600 square feet for the past decade.

And the truth is if I had the space and put up a 5K pole barn or something, it would probably only be a year or two before I filled it with questionable choices. I mean, I *could* use a bulldozer every once in a while...
Dude, did you actually win the lottery?

Yeah, those are gorgeous machines. Price aside I do think I'm looking for something a bit more general-purpose though. Some of my parts do weigh more than a feather.
A Kern micro has a decent work area.

Workpiece size up to 200 mm (7.88 in) and Diameter up to 350 mm (13.78 in). You can make a darned big clock on it or a tiny lady's watch if you are inclined.

Started, with mill similar to your tormach. Speedio. Way easier faster etc. I do one offs and proto's all the time. Great "job shop" machine if thats all you want to do with it. BUT.. you have the option to haul ass if needed. Bangin' out lots of form tapped 0-80 holes at 6000 rpm at full rapids and .2" retract height is 👌. Also silently drilling .625 holes in 304SS is a revelation after using a hobby mill.

Mazak VCN530 (ya, I know it's and older model), Hardinge Conquest SP, Bridgeport, Hardinge HLVH squeezed into 2,000sqft is what I had to settle for. I didn't do a bridge crane as I really don't want to be lifting that big of stuff. Although, pulling the 4th axis off the VCN was a bit interesting as I have never had to do it before without a bridge crane...used a pickup truck crane concept with the base mounted on the table and swung it onto a cart.

Don't forget a decent saw...I have a little toy bandsaw that works just fine, but being used to a good sized Hydmech and an auto cut Amada, it sure seems like a POS.

Steve

Check out the specs amigo. That machine is pretty much the best in class for the size. As dcsipo mentioned, it can handle decent sized parts while maintaining 2 nanometer accuracy.

If you want something in a more standard format, as others have mentioned the Speedio is the way to go. Or a Doosan is pretty solid, I have done really nice work on those machines and they behave very predictably.

Dont look at DMG or Datron. Their controls are windows based garbage and will shit out on you. Overpriced hype.

No lottery ,but I sold out for a 7 figure sum,and I justified scrapping a lot of machines by saying "I ll buy new ones for my new home shop.".....also planned on spending big on antique bikes and cars ............three years on,I have bought none of that ,the only big spend is on a 5 ton mini excavator to maintain the property and keep the council off my back.

No lottery ,but I sold out for a 7 figure sum,and I justified scrapping a lot of machines by saying "I ll buy new ones for my new home shop.".....also planned on spending big on antique bikes and cars ............three years on,I have bought none of that ,the only big spend is on a 5 ton mini excavator to maintain the property and keep the council off my back.

What kind of foundations are required for big machines in Australia? I imagine they're pretty heavy duty since you have to bolt the machines down... Being upside down, and all. :D

I used to say if I won $30m ,Id use it to build a huge wall all around my property ,keep out neighbours ,thieves ,and the council ................nowdays Id have to include an anti drone system,cause thats how the council spy now.

If I won a lot of money from a lottery, I have a plan on how to use it..
Don’t worry, not all of it is being spent this wholesomely.

I bought the country property and a Deere TLB for that three years ago. From now until October most of my focus is outside, I put up one high tunnel last year and hoping to do a second this year. Lots of drainage needed too. Might buy a mini-ex just to build that out then sell it when I’m done. The Deere can do it but the mini would speed things up.

The shop has been in rented industrial space in Boston (I was lucky to catch a good deal) while I waited to see if I liked the property enough to invest in building on it. Then last year I sold off another half of my company so I decided it was a sign from the universe to get on with it. It will save me the rent I’m paying and give me more to do out there in the winter.

Appreciate all the ideas so far even the slightly crazy ones!

I was lucky with the mini,as I was about to buy a backhoe for half or less what a mini costs ............but since the crazy rain last 3 months,the excavator can handle the sodden ground,a backhoe would have bogged....I had to dig a ditch around my new shop to stop rainwater flooding the place .............I have never seen it so wet.....never.

I used to say if I won $30m ,Id use it to build a huge wall all around my property ,keep out neighbours ,thieves ,and the council ................nowdays Id have to include an anti drone system,cause thats how the council spy now.
Don't forget satellites.

Seems these days if you want any privacy you need an underground facility.

Back