What's new
What's new

Wire EDM capabilities

Henryff

Plastic
Hey everyone, I'm interested in learning more about the capabilities of Wire EDM machines. What's the largest size of material you've come across or personally processed using Wire EDM? I'd love to hear about any impressive or challenging projects. Thank you in advance!

The most impressive thing I've seen on a wire EDM is when I sent out a hardened insert to be cut. They never synchronised the axiis when taper cutting but still managed to give me 2 parts that were a perfect fit. When I said you never synchronised the axiis they just said huh what's that.

Largest material? A 134 lb chunk of A-36 to be turned into a miniature rail car wheel (yes, I was using the EDM as a set-it-and-forget-it CNC bandsaw...but I also cut the center bore and keyway). That's going to be a featherweight compared to some folk's tales here.

Not necessarily impressive (as in, out of the ordinary for EDM), but cutting carbide with EDM is just as effortless as cutting aluminum. Blows my mind (this really comes in handy if you're short on toolholders and only have Weldon/side-lock holders available...custom Weldon flat on any endmill!)

My machine is a 4-axis, so I've made a number of form cutters for lathe jobs. For various reasons, it can sometimes be a hecka lot easier to just jam a piece of HSS into your part and have the entire profile - chamfers, diameters, shoulders, etc. - complete and finished instead of programming a rougher, finisher, groover, etc.

Hey everyone, I'm interested in learning more about the capabilities of Wire EDM machines. What's the largest size of material you've come across or personally processed using Wire EDM? I'd love to hear about any impressive or challenging projects. Thank you in advance!

For size capability, check out Swiss WireEDM here ---> https://www.swedm.com/

In my own past life of doing wire edm work, this was probably one of the taller (not heavy) parts I cut where the result had to be quite precise: (rear spool for a Trophy Truck, and a custom spline for some slightly larger axles).

spool.jpg

drop.jpg

And toward the other end of the scale:

smallgear.JPG

Back