What's new
What's new

Wire EDM & milling software

matt_d77

Aluminum
We currently use Esprit to program our Wire EDM (Mitsubishi RA90) but are looking to add a small 3-axis machining center (possibly a Haas) in the near future so I'm curious what suggestions you all have for software recommendations that would work for both operations. In the past I used FeatureCam to program our machining centers and really liked that software for both 2D and 3D programming, but that was over 10 years ago and I'm not sure what changes have been made since FeatureCam has been sold a couple of times since using it last. I looked on YouTube at some MasterCam demos, but it sure seems like it's not as powerful of a software.... which I realize could be the lack of knowledge of the person making the video. I've started reaching out to a couple of software companies to setup virtual demos but would appreciate your opinions since end users usually have a much better idea of how the programs work on the machines doing the cutting, not just the simulation.

I use mastercam to program the mill and wire. I just made a tool that is the size if the wire with overburn. I copy and paste the program into notepad template and it's good to go.

Tell us your budget. That will help people suggest.

My first thought would be Mastercam. I personally would rather have separate softwares

I have been pleased with Mastercam's WEDM programing with our Mitsubishi FX10. It has the Epacks built into the cut setup/selection and the speeds and feeds for the wire seem to be dead on straight from the post. On the milling side I have also been pleased with mastercam but I am using it to make 3D tool paths for a Trak mill so I guess the bar is set pretty low.

Matt_d77,

I was an Esprit user for my years in the wire edm business.

Now I'm pretty much retired (though still have a shop), and use F360 because it's "good enough" for what I need (Haas Mini-Mill and a 5c gang-tooled lathe). The price is right.

My "opinion" is that IF Esprit is rock solid for you on the wire machine, stick with it. Find a CAM program for your mill that seems intuitive for you, and take it for a test drive. IMO, nothing crazy high-end is required if you're doing 3-axis work. (once again: IMO)

PM

I imagine Esprit cam is more than your budget but there is a lot of benefit to stay within the same software if it does the job for you, which I also imagine Esprit cam can do. I highly recommend against a mish-mash of separate software if you can possibly avoid it. The initial price point of mish-mash is attractive but the long term ROI should be as importantly considered as software capability.

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but you might want to take a look at Dolphin CADCAM.

4 Axis Wire EDM & 3D Machining for less than $3k

Andre
Dolphin Cadcam

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but you might want to take a look at Dolphin CADCAM.

4 Axis Wire EDM & 3D Machining for less than $3k

Andre
Dolphin Cadcam

There's no problem when posting to a current thread with a relevant offering. It's when folks bring back an old thread just to hype their wares that people get peeved.

There's no problem when posting to a current thread with a relevant offering. It's when folks bring back an old thread just to hype their wares that people get peeved.

OP looking for powerfull cam software with a 15k budget, I wouldn't consider that relevant.

Give the guys at Open Mind a shout. Everyone thinks hyperMILL® is strictly 5 axis software. hyperMILL's 3D Classic or Expert Bundles are full packages...tool database, features, macros, simulation, automation...and some of the best toolpaths in the industry. It is surprisingly affordable. The 15K is not out of range.

for your wire, Opticam is un-beatable! I think it started out as Metal cam, now it's opticam or Ficus. Outputs programs for our Sodick VL600Q that do not need editing, just run them!

for your wire, Opticam is un-beatable! I think it started out as Metal cam, now it's opticam or Ficus. Outputs programs for our Sodick VL600Q that do not need editing, just run them!
Siemens jumped on Opticam for their wedm and bailed on their own offering but haven't tried it yet, not sure if it's going to be included in my old Mach license bundle.

Even though the previous NX wire module sucked overall, I have to say one thing I really liked is how I could select model faces to cut and not worry about anything else and it would say if selected faces were geometrically cuttable; although I seem to recall you could override it if you wanted. It was sooooo easy. I hope Opticam is as easy and user friendly.

Back