What's new
What's new

Wiring up TM2P - question about ground

Elemental_Garage

Aluminum
Hey all,

Running wiring for the TM2P. I'm planning to wire it to a 14-50 (I know it doesn't need neutral, but futureproofing in case something else goes there in the future). I'm getting hung up on the "ground wire must be the same size as supply wire." Does this mean I can't use 6/3 romex since the ground is slightly smaller than the supply in those? I currently have 6/3 run but can undo it and go Thhn in conduit if I need.

From the plug I was going to create a pigtail of 6/3 inside sealtight conduit and run it up the machine's backside and into the supply panel. That way it's easy to move the machine for when I have to drywall the area.

Also, does anyone know if Haas approves/disapproves of GFCI breakers on their CNC? As it's technically a residential building it's required by code, but if Haas says not to run one I'm okay following that.

For the first question that's what I use as well and have had no issues with it. For the second I personally wouldn't use a GFCI breaker, I don't trust it to not flip randomly mid start up or something and brick the machine but that may just be me being paranoid. You might be able to get past the requirements by making a bracket to hold the plug into the socket with a bolt but if they're being aggressive about you holding to code I'd just get a disconnect box and hard wire it. It won't take more than a minute to disconnect it if you have to move the machine.

well, technically if i understand it right, cant just run romex in a shop as some classify it as a "wet" environment.
Most will run conduit, and run THNN as single strands ususally come out cheaper then pulling anything else. Can always run steel conduit to a box, with a plug and run cabtire to the machine to give flexability.
most ground conductors are usually smaller in diameter. I think code states that it needs to be a certain size depending on the size of breaker that feeds it.
IE 60A breaker needs 10GA copper or 8 GA aluminum if ran to equiptment.

well, technically if i understand it right, cant just run romex in a shop as some classify it as a "wet" environment.
Most will run conduit, and run THNN as single strands ususally come out cheaper then pulling anything else. Can always run steel conduit to a box, with a plug and run cabtire to the machine to give flexability.
most ground conductors are usually smaller in diameter. I think code states that it needs to be a certain size depending on the size of breaker that feeds it.
IE 60A breaker needs 10GA copper or 8 GA aluminum if ran to equiptment.

Any exposed romex will be behind a wall, and then from wall to machine, it will be in seal-tight conduit.

I was more curious about if Haas classfied 6/3 romex as having adequate ground, or if they want thhn so you can run a #6 ground wire as well since in romex it's sized down. I know from a code perspective it's fine as otherwise you couldn't use 6/3 romex anywhere, but curious what Haas says it needs.

Haas tech said unofficially 6/3 romex would work, but officially, Haas wants the gauge of the ground to be the same size as the power leads. So I reran it with thhn in conduit. Got it all set up and getting 242.2v across both hots, but I'm missing a step somewhere to switch it from 3P back to 1P. Machine came on and op system operates but circuit board had both green and orange indicating a missing phase, and the AC readout on screen was blank. Will dig into it more tomorrow.

Am considering the same machine, also from single phase, how did it go, were you able to complete wiring switchover? An advantage to single phase, I have my other machine running of off single phase 220/240, which is wired to a large computer style UPS, 5000 VA, or about 23? or so amps 220. Planning on putting that UPS onto the Haas.

Yes, I am on single phase now. For that you just wire L1 and L3, L2 is left open. My confusion was that the AC digital gauge on the controller wasn't reading anything, and there were two lights on the back board on which indicates "missing phase." He said both are normal in a Phase I config and that the instructions don't do a good job of saying that.

So I think from a wiring perspective I am good to go. My bigger issue at the moment is that it looks like the machine lost backup/mem power during transport, as I had to reset the date/time when first turning it on. I have a setup appt with Haas soon, so hopefully they can get it situated. I was able to set date/time, but I think the machine needs to be re-homed, and have basic configs setup again.

Just as a follow-up on this. It seems like all settings except date/time were maintained, so no idea why, but Haas tech said the machine seems to have kept all else. There are a few maint items to take care of, but hope to be up and running soon!

Back