What's new
What's new

Wood grinder teeth material spec.

Overland

Stainless
I've been asked if I can do some teeth for a scrap wood grinder at a pallet operation.
The teeth are 2" wide x 1-1/2" thick, 3-1/2" long, cut with 24 deg angle. Secured by two 3/4" cap screws.
The spec calls for "Hard Weld" build up on the cutting edge, (ROC 55-58), which the customer will do himself.
He's asking for a medium carbon steel, as they take quite a beating.
What would be a good, readily available grade for this job please ?
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_5484.jpg
    IMG_5484.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 58
Confused.
Hard weld? The pic looks like carbide brazed in.
Maybe not.
The hard weld is maybe a rod that has has carbide chunks in it.
Commonly used on snow plows and the like.
Side view?

Did he mean hard face, a fairly common ground engagement treatment on buckets and rippers?
A hardox 400 or 600 would do for the teeth I think, med carbon manganese wear steel, SSAB make it’s tough old stuff, like machining railway line imho, tough but doable.
Mark

Is there a scrap yard that could do a test? At the very least do a spark test and arc test. The hard facing does all the work, the base just needs to be weldable and have enough strength to resist deformity. Needs low notch sensitivity. Not sure I'd agree with 1045.

You can buy a range of carbide tipped wood grinder teeth from makers like Vermeer......the steel body needs high wear resistance ,or it will simply waste away under the carbide button .........most of the buttons fit a taper hole in the steel adaptor so they are quickly replaced with just a hammer and punch.

Chances are that's an ''off the shelf'' part - all you have to do is find it - cos you won't make it any cheaper???
Well I'm not sure you're correct.
It may be an off the shelf part, but someone is making it and there is a margin there somewhere. So I want that margin, please; and it looks pretty fat at the price he is offering me.
Trick is to find the right material at a close to net size to minimize machining time.
I called 5 steel suppliers yesterday, but none could help with anything other than 1018 or A36.
Bob

Well I'm not sure you're correct.
It may be an off the shelf part, but someone is making it and there is a margin there somewhere. So I want that margin, please; and it looks pretty fat at the price he is offering me.
Trick is to find the right material at a close to net size to minimize machining time.
I called 5 steel suppliers yesterday, but none could help with anything other than 1018 or A36.
Bob
It is a sorry state for steel yards in America these days.
To me it means we aren’t manufacturing enough here to justify the stock.
AR plate and a Marvel (or similar) saw are your best bet. You can likely saw cut to tolerance on that part.

It is a sorry state for steel yards in America these days.
To me it means we aren’t manufacturing enough here to justify the stock.
AR plate and a Marvel (or similar) saw are your best bet. You can likely saw cut to tolerance on that part.
My thoughts are that once I've got the bar, I can saw at the angle, then flip for each part to get the blank.
The net size is 50mm wide x 35mm thick, so I can get that out 2"x1-1/2" in 2 ops.
Then all machining is on the one set-up. (Calls for a small rabbet on each end for the weld).
I can find round 1045 easy enough, but not found 2"x1-1/2" yet; I guess 2"x2" might do.
I was thinking AR400 as I know a place that can plasma cut me a bar out of plate; but HAZ and overall hardness are a pain. Not really sure about welding as well.
Anybody know of a source for 1045, or similar in the Southeast please ?
Bob

Last edited:
1045 is available as plate and can be sawn, so no HAZ.
Nobody near me with that capability.
Castle metals quoted $490 for a piece 2" x 84" of 1-1/2" 1045 cut from a drop shipped UPS to me. That's $20 a piece for material. That's not going to work.
Waiting on a quote from Alro, cutting up a drop for me, but the drop and their plate saw are in Michigan.
I've found M1044 black bar, 1-1/2" x 2" at Alro in Charlotte at $640 for a 20 ft stick, so that's $8.50 ea.
I don't have any experience of "Merchant grade" material, also called "plow steel".
I've found a comment on google that says:
"Hot rolled M1044 is a medium carbon steel used in general purpose applications when special quality is not required."
Anyone with experience of M1044 able to guide me on suitability please ?
Thanks
Bob
Definition of Merchant Quality here, from Ryerson.
file:///C:/Users/BritB/Downloads/s2684ReferenceSelectionGuidesCarbonSteelBarsFinal-1.pdf

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd be using 4130-4145 Steel with a 110K MYS for this. This is very common for oilfield drilling tools that get hard facing applied to them. May be able to find it in rectangular bar form. If not, I've taken round bar and cut flats and made my own rectangular bar when needed.

Some 40 years ago I did an electrical repair right next to a 100hp BlowHog pallet grinder. I asked the owner how often they run it, as it had the largest motor in the shop. He told me they ran it every Friday. I asked him if they could run it on Saturday when the rest of the shop was down. They did that, their electric bill went down $664 a month! They were getting killed by the peak demand charge when they added that 100 hp on top of the usual load. Your customer might have the same situation.

Gary,
I was at my customer today. He has an automatic machine that makes 500 new pallets a day, and he also repairs over 1,000 pallets a day.
He grinds the scrap wood up and has a big "sausage stuffer" that creates 50 feet long, 12" diameter erosion control "sausages".
He has a bigger grinder he's working on to increase his capacity, and will be bringing in scrap pallets from the general area to make more "sausages". Fascinating !
Bob

If it was me, I'd be using 4130-4145 Steel with a 110K MYS for this. This is very common for oilfield drilling tools that get hard facing applied to them. May be able to find it in rectangular bar form. If not, I've taken round bar and cut flats and made my own rectangular bar when needed.
Alro, one of the local suppliers has hot rolled M1044 for about $0.50 /lb, whereas 4140 is more than twice the price and only available as cold finished.
I'm thinking 1044 will be fine.
Bob

Alro, one of the local suppliers has hot rolled M1044 for about $0.50 /lb, whereas 4140 is more than twice the price and only available as cold finished.
I'm thinking 1044 will be fine.
Bob
I guess it depends on where you live and what's available near you that counts. I tried.

Back