What's new
What's new

Wood grinder teeth material spec.

I would guess that those teeth are made from a tool steel of some sort with high impact resistance. Something like S2 or S7.
being that, worst case is to hard face with a crap ton of filler that has some carbide precipitation qualities, then any old med carbon steel will work as a base as long as the customer wants it all welded all around then machined afterwards to a sharpened state.
Ideally best is forged into a shape then ground sharp in a hardened steel. most end up being A8 or S7

1045 is available as plate and can be sawn, so no HAZ.
Nobody near me with that capability.
Castle metals quoted $490 for a piece 2" x 84" of 1-1/2" 1045 cut from a drop shipped UPS to me. That's $20 a piece for material. That's not going to work.
Waiting on a quote from Alro, cutting up a drop for me, but the drop and their plate saw are in Michigan.
I've found M1044 black bar, 1-1/2" x 2" at Alro in Charlotte at $640 for a 20 ft stick, so that's $8.50 ea.
I don't have any experience of "Merchant grade" material, also called "plow steel".
I've found a comment on google that says:
"Hot rolled M1044 is a medium carbon steel used in general purpose applications when special quality is not required."
Anyone with experience of M1044 able to guide me on suitability please ?
Thanks
Bob
Definition of Merchant Quality here, from Ryerson.
file:///C:/Users/BritB/Downloads/s2684ReferenceSelectionGuidesCarbonSteelBarsFinal-1.pdf
I looked up the merchant quality steel. It seems to have a little more leeway in the recipe, like tooling plate in Al. It would not be good for something with critical welds , but would be fine for hard facing. I have run a fair bit of 1045 HR bar. It runs oversized so it will finish at size after you machine off the heavy scale. The scale is a little abrasive on end mills . Just guessing but I would say around 60% machinability .

I would guess that those teeth are made from a tool steel of some sort with high impact resistance. Something like S2 or S7.
being that, worst case is to hard face with a crap ton of filler that has some carbide precipitation qualities, then any old med carbon steel will work as a base as long as the customer wants it all welded all around then machined afterwards to a sharpened state.
Ideally best is forged into a shape then ground sharp in a hardened steel. most end up being A8 or S7
Not for the price he's offering !!
He wants medium carbon, and he'll do hardface.
Thanks

I looked up the merchant quality steel. It seems to have a little more leeway in the recipe, like tooling plate in Al. It would not be good for something with critical welds , but would be fine for hard facing. I have run a fair bit of 1045 HR bar. It runs oversized so it will finish at size after you machine off the heavy scale. The scale is a little abrasive on end mills . Just guessing but I would say around 60% machinability .
Thanks,
That gives me some confidence,
Bob

More pics....
Two rows of these "teeth" in the grinder.
The one he gave me as a sample has cracked, but apparently they last for years with repeated hard-facing.

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpg
    IMG_5486.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 16

Back