What's new
What's new

Working on Bridgeport Variable Speed head rebuild. Stuck on the large bull gear assembly.

Brooklyyyn

Plastic
Repair has been going fairly smoothly up to this point but I am having the hardest time with the large bull gear assembly. After a lot of struggling and making a special tool I was able to get the lock washer off and spline gear removed. But now i can't for the life of me get these bearings out of the housing. Been going at it with some blocks of wood and a sledge but I can only get them to budge a few mm(should I be using a block of steel or aluminum instead to bang these out?). I tried to force them through using a long piece of all thread and some washers and bent the damn all thread rod. I don't have an arbor press, but I do have a 20 ton hydraulic forge press but been hesitant to try to use for this purpose cause a mess up there will for sure wreck the precision sleeve and I don't want to burn $500 to replace that part.

Before I go with the high risk hydraulic press route thought I would ask the folks here if there was any other idea's on how to approach this. I got all my other ducks in a row on this rebuild but this bull gear assembly is leaving me stuck in place until I can sort this out.

Post a pic of what you are speaking of. I am pretty sure I know but don’t want to assume and provide bad advice. I’ve had several heads apart and rebuilt them. I’ve had my fair share of hiccups as well. No not use your press. Nothing is that tight. Some slight heat at most to open a pocket.

Back