What's new
What's new

WTB - 120 Volt Standing Drill Press in PNW

albie

Plastic
Howdy,

Looking to purchase a 120 volt standing drill press in the PNW (Ideally in the greater Seattle area).

Preferably something with a t-slot table and a geared table height mechanism.

Not opposed to newer import (Jet, Grizzly, etc.), but would prefer something a bit nicer (Delta, Walker Turner, Clausing, Yuasa, etc.).

Thanks,

Albie

Last edited:
At that price range, you arent going to be shipping anything. Facebook marketplace is the best place to find something like thisin Western Washington. Or, rural garage sales. 25 years in the Skagit, I find them very hit or miss, with 90 % china home depot tools, but every once in a while, you hit paydirt.

At that price range, you arent going to be shipping anything. Facebook marketplace is the best place to find something like thisin Western Washington. Or, rural garage sales. 25 years in the Skagit, I find them very hit or miss, with 90 % china home depot tools, but every once in a while, you hit paydirt.

Believe me, I'm active on all of the local classified website.

This post is just a small piece of the larger search.

Have you called up the guys at equipment sales and surplus in auburn, and seen what they have? I have bought a fair amount of scratch and dent from them over the years. They dont list it on their website, but they usually have a few drill presses. The problem is current new prices are high- even a new Jet pulley drive floor model is $1500, so $500 in a machine desert like the PNW just doesnt go far. I seriously considered buying a 3 phase gear head from them a few years ago, new but cosmetically damaged, just under 2 grand, which was around 1/2 new price. A great deal, but $400 it wasnt.

Don't discount 220v and 3-phase machines.
Most drill presses of that style have removable motors and you can put on anything you want.
If it's 3-phase, you might even get it cheap because most of the hobby guys aren't interested.

Steve

I have restored 5 or 6 drill presses. I actually like the Taiwanese models from the '80s as long as there isn't something wrong with them you can't fix. So you have to be judicious when you buy them. Here is my vlog of rebuilding a 20" import:

http://nwnative.us/Grant/shop articles/drillPress20

It's hard to get a handle on pricing today. Pricing seems to be at least double that of a couple years ago. Personally I think if Craigslist charged $1 to renew an ad that prices would plunge. Right now it's way too easy to post an item at ridiculously high prices and then just leave it there. I still remember walking into the Seattle P-I to buy a classified ad. You got 5 words for 5 days for 5 bucks, and that was IT. If you set the price too high it would cost you another 5 bucks.

Here is another '80s drill press I restored. (photo attached, hope it works)

I bought both of the above-mentioned machines in the Seattle area. The 14" Orbit cost me the princely sum of $30. I decided to keep that one instead of selling it. It's in the middle of a rather protracted treadmill motor conversion.

metalmagpie

Attachments

• restored.jpg
    restored.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Able hasn't checked back on this thread since the 27th.

I have.

I appreciate the advice and truly admire the restoration work metalmagpie has showcased (though I don't have the space, tooling, or time to adequately tackle proper machine restorations).

Still in the market for a drill press if anyone has a lead.

Thanks all.

Back