What's new
What's new

WTB: 2 1/8-5 backplate, 3 jaw chuck

Hello and good luck... I have a 15 inch LeBlond wth the same thread and have made every attachment backplate that I use... Cheers; Ramsay 1:)
I think that's the rout I'm going to have to go, I'm a novice machinist and haven't done internal threading before so i plan to practice a bit first. I was thinking I'd make a copy of the spindle to use as a gauge. Am I correct in figuring on buying a back plate blank with an appropriate sized hole I could bore to size and then thread internally and mate to a chuck? I've read some people have tapperd threads on their leblond spindles?

I think that's the rout I'm going to have to go, I'm a novice machinist and haven't done internal threading before so i plan to practice a bit first. I was thinking I'd make a copy of the spindle to use as a gauge. Am I correct in figuring on buying a back plate blank with an appropriate sized hole I could bore to size and then thread internally and mate to a chuck? I've read some people have tapperd threads on their leblond spindles?
Dunno about the tapered threads.... All I had to work with was a dog driver and an old bearing race... I fastened the blank piece of metal to the dog driver with the bearing race between the blank and the driver.... You have room for a drill, boring bar and threading bar and you can unscrew and swap around for a try on your spindle... If it will not thread on, just invert and take another chip until it fits properly.. Once it fits the spindle and bottoms, just finish it on the spindle to fit the chuck or what ever you want it to fit.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back