What's new
What's new

WTB Diacro 16-24 - the manual lever press brake

teemfan93

Cast Iron
I have been using my plasma more frequently and would like to add a press brake. This is about the only decent one I can find that'll fit in my shop. Located in NC/VA but willing to travel a bit to pick one up if needed.

You may want to look at an H-frame press brake attachment; they will be cheaper, also the capacity would be higher depending on your press?

The Di-Acro's were nice machines; make sure to watch out for broken castings, there a little on the fragile side.

Kevin

H-Frame attachments are for ironwork- not precision. The Diacro is a little light but it is good for more precision bends of light gauge material.

H-Frame attachments are for ironwork- not precision. The Diacro is a little light but it is good for more precision bends of light gauge material.
I agree some of the units are only good for ironwork......I have built something similar with a back gage and depth stop for 6" wide 12 gage aluminum and was able to get repeatable bends!

The OP hasn't said how wide the material he is planning on bending.

Kevin

I have only ever seen one of the lever operated Press Brakes, and it was in an aircraft repair and restoration shop, here in BC.

The guy figured he'd take it to his grave, just to annoy those who were watching for his name in the obits, so they could maybe scoop it!

Nice rig for doing repair bends and brackets, for light aircraft repair!

They're around, be patient. There's one on eBay now at $3K, which is about double what it's worth. (To me, but I already have one. :-)

Dealers have them, too. Tooling is a big plus. Punches and dies can be made on a mill from mild steel, though it takes time.

I'll sell mine in 10 years or so when I close up shop. Till then, no way.

The Di-Acro's were nice machines; make sure to watch out for broken castings, there a little on the fragile side.

Kevin
Yeah, broke our cast handle holder #600-1208025. Can't find the part anywhere and Diacro want's +$1000 and 6-8 wks to make us new one. Seen some newer machined holders on some old listings and would love to see the designs (rather than do our own). Anyone have one of these for parts?

Yeah, broke our cast handle holder #600-1208025. Can't find the part anywhere and Diacro want's +$1000 and 6-8 wks to make us new one. Seen some newer machined holders on some old listings and would love to see the designs (rather than do our own). Anyone have one of these for parts?
You have the design, just make it out of steel, this would be easy to duplicate......when it's overloaded next time you will find the next weakest link?

Kevin

I don't have the design, I have the broken cast part and the rest, just didn't want to spend the time designing one like either of these if someone has it handy. I'm in the process of contacting the seller of these machines through another forum, but thought I'd check.

1666890999670.png1666891023604.png

I don't have the design, I have the broken cast part and the rest, just didn't want to spend the time designing one like either of these if someone has it handy. I'm in the process of contacting the seller of these machines through another forum, but thought I'd check.

View attachment 378229View attachment 378230
Reverse engineering that doesn't get any simpler, wish I had that much info on my jobs!

Kevin

I have one of these Diacro 24" press brakes in my little hobby shop. Great machine... accurate, and takes up minimal space. 'Cold, dead hands' before anyone gets that machine. Think I paid about $1k from Plaza for it about a decade ago.

Rarer yet; Form-All. A different version of lever-op brake, but a true press between two counterbalanced aprons, front and back. Her she(?) is, sans counterweights and arms. Punch bolster and aprons 3/4", high center of gravity, awash in moving parts; tricky to tie down. But we made it back. It's 18ga x 48", made a missing counterweight, modded them for thumb instead of cap screws. Could use a sensible back gauge, and duplicate for both sides. The punch is one piece; might mill up a partial set of fingers, original is ~13° and ~.025 radius. Form-All_7.JPGForm-All_Stamp.jpgForm-All_tag reduced.jpg

I have a Diacro 16-24 Press Brake on the Diacro stand that I would like out of my garage. It is in excellent condition, but I never use it. I am located in Los Angeles.

View attachment 378229View attachment 378230
Funny these all break
Mine broke
My fix looks like the left

I get back to L.A. on 3/30 and I'll add some pictures of it then. It's a little bit buried under stuff in the garage right now...

Back