What's new
What's new

WTB or trade: QC30 Bridgeport spindle or head

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I'm looking for an Erickson QC30 spindle for a Bridgeport or clone. I currently have a Comet bport clone head with an R8 spindle, and would like to swap out the R8 spindle for a QC30 spindle (or swap the whole head). I'm interested in buying or swapping/trading. I may also be interested in buying a whole mill with the right head/spindle if the right deal comes up.

I'm located in Chicago area

Thanks in advance

Lee

Oh I know - I had to buy one a couple months ago :-)

If it comes to it, I'll likely hold out and buy a whole machine when I next see one at auction..

Is it drilled for a draw bar? You will find that most NMTB 30 toolholders will not fit in the locking ring. I have a Bridgeport Boss head with a QC30 spindle and I have to leave the locking nut off, but I am OK because the spindle is drilled.
I know that the Boss quill is longer than the regular J heads, but they are otherwise the same.

You can put them in the lathe and face the outer ring down until they fit. I have done it to a dozen of them and it works great.
That's what I've done. I also leave the set screw out of the locknut, so it doesn't really matter if the thickness of the flange doesn't precisely match - it just has to be in the ballpark

My spindle is drilled, but I have a mixture of NMTB, BT and ISO holders. If I go to a power drawbar, I think I'd have to choose one or the other

Lee

Thanks
I'd seen that, but it's a few pennies past my pain threshold on price though

Lee

How about a nice ACRA 3hp variable speed head with QC30 spindle? Location Zip code 44266

It needs spindle bearings but only because I removed them thinking I could swap the spindle in another machine, not because of damage.

I've been saving it on the hope that I come across a nice machine without a head, but no luck so far.

Hi all

I'm looking for an Erickson QC30 spindle for a Bridgeport or clone. I currently have a Comet bport clone head with an R8 spindle, and would like to swap out the R8 spindle for a QC30 spindle (or swap the whole head). I'm interested in buying or swapping/trading. I may also be interested in buying a whole mill with the right head/spindle if the right deal comes up.

I'm located in Chicago area

Thanks in advance

Lee

please provide overall length of R8 spindle and separate length of spline section --LOA should be around 22 inch
I may be able to help

jh

Freedom, I sent you a pm

JH, thanks - I should be able to get measurements tomorrow, the head is over in my storage unit

Thanks all!

I might have an extra spindle for a series 2 BP, if you wanted to put it on a replica series 1 you have to lengthen the splines otherwise its a match, I could part with it for the right offer, I might also have a series one that's extra I'll check tomorrow

Hi all
I went over to my storage unit to measure the spindle, but the top cover shcs didn't fit my Allen wrenches so I wasn't able to get it off. 22" seems about right, as the length from spindle nose to top cover is 26" and I can't feel the top of the spindle through the hole in the cover. Was the series 2 spindle longer or shorter than the series 1?

I've included a couple pictures of my comet head, in case that helps anyone ID it until I can get back there next week.

Thanks again

Lee

Attachments

• 20231206_081655.jpg
    20231206_081655.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231206_081706.jpg
    20231206_081706.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Freedom, I sent you a pm

JH, thanks - I should be able to get measurements tomorrow, the head is over in my storage unit

Thanks all!

Sorry for the late reply, I am just now seeing this. I didn't get a pm but I'll send you one now.

standard 1J and 2J series one spindles are 540 mm or close to 22 inch loa
series 2 spindles are usually iso 40 tapers--wont fit series one quills
BP built 7500 Boss cnc machines with lengthed heads to accomidate NSK pass thru ball screw--which added 5-6 inches on to spindle length--these work in series one manual quills if you mill or grind groove extension of at least 5 inches---the 28 inch spindle with erickson 30 taper will have serious stick out beyond mill head and can be trimmed if shaft whip is a problem
my method of spline/groove lengthing is profiling 1/4 inch abrasive wheel on surface grinder--taper and radius can easily be achieved conforming to factory geometry
unfortunately--my extra spindles are all 200 kwik switch --and 28 inch

china sellers have new 30 taper spindles for $300.00 delivered--but you must use drawbar--I do have spare erickson lock nuts if you want to thread a china spindle

series 2 spindles do fit series 1 heads but the splines need to be lengthened 2 or 3 inches otherwise you only get 2 or 3 inches of travel on the quill, and they have to be the qc30 type, an nmtb40 wont fit a series one i believe.

I might have an extra spindle for a series 2 BP, if you wanted to put it on a replica series 1 you have to lengthen the splines otherwise its a match, I could part with it for the right offer, I might also have a series one that's extra I'll check tomorrow
I don’t know if you were able to find a series one or eight spindle but that is what I am looking for if you do have one. Please message me if you do. Trying to replace this Quik-Switch II spindle that I have in the unit now. Mine is the 1971 variable speed with a 1.5 HP motor.

Back