What's new
What's new

wtb oxy propane magnetic pattern tracing cutter

idacal

Hot Rolled
Im looking for a oxy propane magnetic pattern tracing cutter preferably within a few hundred miles of boise, if anyone knows of one or has one for sale. I'm needing one

Do you mean an old victor style pantograph with a cutting torch and propane tips for it? Or a better small koike IK82, but that one is limited to smaller parts. I think IK 82 was discontinued about 3 yrs ago, I was able to buy the smaller drive wheel for mine then and was told there would be no more...
Koike link:

Last edited:
Im looking for a oxy propane magnetic pattern tracing cutter preferably within a few hundred miles of boise, if anyone knows of one or has one for sale. I'm needing one
I bought, repaired, and then sold one years ago.
I think the "oxy propane" request might be cornfusing some.
They made them with different lengths on the arms for larger work, so it might be good to specify how big you need to cut.

Like this one:
Aliexpress/Alibaba still sells them new

Last edited:
A Pantograph that is what im looking for, iwould like. a 2’ arm or larger I have access to a plasma table but for thicker materials 1.5 to 4” its not set up for a gas torch and has a water table so with a number 5 tip and 60 psi of ozygen it will have a spray going everywere. Saw the chinese ones but was hoping for a heathe victor, or that japanese one

I understand what your looking for.
FWIW I have (3) machine torches in the tooling for sale section, if you find a pantograph missing the torch.
The Heath ones I have seen have the multiple push buttons, and most were broken. The one I bought had a simple rotary switch, and the fix was to replace it, a simple job.
Unfortunately (for you) I sold it to a small shop just north of NYC.
GEDC0360.JPGGEDC0361.JPGGEDC0362.JPGGEDC0363.JPG

Last edited:
I found a few in southern california or iowa but dont want to drive that far. but something along that previous tool is what im looking for. its the thicker stuff that gives me fits i dont have a 300 amp plasma lol

I have an old Heath magnetic pattern cutter. I'm near Seattle. Won't be home from Mexico until March sometime, though. It all works except for the auto-ignite, and that might be fixable if I cared about it. It would be around $800.

metalmagpie

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/d/netarts-optical-trace-plasma-cutter/7581959480.html <No Affiliation

Not quite what you're looking for, but will cut from lots of different pattern options. I had a smaller one and would print drawings from autocad with a heavy line size to cut. You can use white cardboard cut to size laid on the black background and it will follow the edge. Plain old sharpie lines work great.

This was cutting from a printed drawing.

Ten years ago I wanted one and started asking local shops if they had one in the back gathering dust. Second place I asked had one so I bought it. Got it working and hated it. Then I bought a Koike portable CNC torch and I use it all the time.
If you are cutting many parts with one setup it might be worth the time to make the pattern but I found it difficult at best to get any kind of accurate cut. You need a smooth accurate pattern to make a decent cut, so how do you make a circular pattern out of 1/4” steel? It is a catch 22 machine. It was not a good solution for my one-off part requirements.

Ten years ago I wanted one and started asking local shops if they had one in the back gathering dust. Second place I asked had one so I bought it. Got it working and hated it. Then I bought a Koike portable CNC torch and I use it all the time.
If you are cutting many parts with one setup it might be worth the time to make the pattern but I found it difficult at best to get any kind of accurate cut. You need a smooth accurate pattern to make a decent cut, so how do you make a circular pattern out of 1/4” steel? It is a catch 22 machine. It was not a good solution for my one-off part requirements.
Who says you need 1/4" steel patterns? 16 gauge works fine.

I have access to a 6 x12 plasma table but but i dont want to buy a 200 amp plasma and upgrade power supply for the few times a year I need I need to cut thick stuff. and a water jet is not in the budget nor have the space

I have access to a 6 x12 plasma table but but i dont want to buy a 200 amp plasma and upgrade power supply for the few times a year I need I need to cut thick stuff. and a water jet is not in the budget nor have the space
Have you tried adding an oxy torch to it ?
i don't mean full automation, change the control setting to pause when at the lead in, just add a 2 hose, and reach over to turn on the cut oxy manually,.

As far as 60 psi and water etc. problems, I have not had a problem at 100 psi (Nitto Koike hi-speed tips), keep the water up close to the bottom of the part (even submerged) and any spray is kept down greatly. As well as any radiated heat from the plate.
YMMV

Why can’t you rig up a holder for an oxy propane torch on the plasma machine and cut there? Way better result than a pantograph and it takes up no space.
I have done the opposite and hooked up my hand plasma torch to my CNC until I get a machine torch and set it up properly. My 1250 Hypertherm is quite capable but I often need to cut 3/4” steel and the plasma edges are not square enough for my needs.

I just noticed DD said the same.

Back