What's new
What's new

WTB - Sanford Surface Grinder (model SG 48)

nbk31hk

Aluminum
Hello All, kicking itself for not grabbing one when I had the chance. I’d love to find a Sanford Surface Grinder (model SG 48). What looks to be a hobbiest machine would be useful with upcoming move and no access to larger SG for a year or two. Please let me know if anyone is ready to sell to knows of one. I’d pay a finders fee for being pointed in the right direction resulting in sale.

Thanks / Regards Aaron ( bummed about my shop move and mothballing a few machines till fully built out ) DM me please contact info.

Last edited:
The first link is to old eBay ad long gone. I saw that too. :) and the second is actually a Sanford MG612.

Thanks so much

Hello All, kicking itself for not grabbing one when I had the chance. I’d love to find a Sanford Surface Grinder (model SG 48). What looks to be a hobbiest machine would be useful with upcoming move and no access to larger SG for a year or two. Please let me know if anyone is ready to sell to knows of one. I’d pay a finders fee for being pointed in the right direction resulting in sale.

Thanks / Regards Aaron ( bummed about my shop move and mothballing a few machines till fully built out ) DM me please contact info.
i actually have one that i might sell...im in upstate ny

Solid casting, nice design, scraped oil ways, and easily rebuilt it is a great little grinder.
(X). biggest problem i see is people mounting a high magnetic chuck.so losing much of the vertical space/travel.

A low-boy magnetic chuck should be added, they are often less than 2" tall and sell for $150 or about. but you may only find a 6 x12" chuck. Just grind the top minus .010 along the front/border of top surface to the size you wish…likely you can the sell existing chuck for $300 or what..
Usually one wants a 3/4 worn out wheel to be able to touch the chuck. Most often you dont grind that small of a part.

Last edited:
When my dad passed away and we had people over his house to look at buying his tools and machines, the one thing everyone stopped dead in front of and said "How much?" was the Sanford grinder.
"Not for sale" was the answer - I took it.

Steve

Solid casting, nice design, scraped oil ways, and easily rebuilt it is a great little grinder.
(X). biggest problem see is people mounting a high magnetic chuck.so losing much of the vertical space/travel.
This and low perm-mag chucks; with any surface grinder, it's all about remaining daylight.

Back