What's new
What's new

Wtb Volstro rotary milling head

Mine uses a collet that's close to a ER25 but it's not. The collet is 35.35mm (1.380") tall and 25mm (.980") in diameter. Here is a pix of the collet. Does that logo mean Schaublin? If anyone can tell me what it is I would appreciate it. Thanks. volstrocollet.jpg

The driving collet is not an actual collet, it is the top portion of an extended end mill holder. Cut off the bottom portion that would hold the EM, and bore the top piece to fit the stub on the input shaft.

You insert the driving collet imto the spindle, run it tight, then extend the quill down and attach the Volstro or RA Head.

Rick, My collets have the exact same logo stamped into them as yours does. I don't know enough about what Schaublin produced to say that's there logo or not. I did find a few old posts mentioning they were pretty sure these Volstro heads were using collets produced by Shaublin. Fwiw and so far unconfirmed information, Rego-Fix apparently took the basic Schaublin collet design and it's taper angle, added more slots for a larger closing range, the extraction grove and the now standard eccentric closing nut and were then credited with inventing the ER collet design. But those ER-25's still won't work in your or my head. There's some minor dimension changes on the collets upper taper,(it's a bit shorter) so the stock Volstro nut won't close them, and the spindle threads are not even close in diameter or pitch to use an ER nut. At some point Volstro did start using the ER collets in there later produced heads, but I've never found a date mentioned for when that happened.

The driving collet is not an actual collet, it is the top portion of an extended end mill holder. Cut off the bottom portion that would hold the EM, and bore the top piece to fit the stub on the input shaft.

You insert the driving collet imto the spindle, run it tight, then extend the quill down and attach the Volstro or RA Head.

Thanks Tom,
That makes sense; at first thought was thinking you had a stub shaft that tightened in a collet. Didnt see it was a solid holder.

I am new to this site. I have one of these with a full set of collets in a wood box. I think it is complete. Looking for a new good home for it. Open to any offers. I'm in the Milwaukee area.

I am new to this site. I have one of these with a full set of collets in a wood box. I think it is complete. Looking for a new good home for it. Open to any offers. I'm in the Milwaukee area.

I've also got one... New as far as I can tell

I have one too. It is at Colona IL. If you are in Eastern Iowa you could drive over and inspect it.

I sold mine to the OP back in March!
It looks like the last time he was on here was the end of May, hope everything is okay?

Kevin

Does anyone has a Volstro rotary milling head for sale. Must be in good working condition.
Ideal model I need would be with the 40 taper and 3.562 dia. quill. But if the price is good I would by one with R-8
and modified it. Thank you.

Michel.

Back