What's new
What's new

WTB/WTT Looking for a boring mill

romie24

Hot Rolled
Hi all
Looking for a boring mill, already looking at one a B75T Wotan. I am looking for something in that size range because of the room. Hopefully with tailstock. Preferable in the northeast Illinois area. What I have to trade is a K&T horizontal w/universal table 2K with 16" rotab, shaper head, LL box and vert head on parking attachment. arbor and knee support. The mill has been sitting in a shed next door to my shop, so it hasn't run in quite a while but wired for 220. All the attachments are K&T. The vert head is a 40 NMTB. Haven't really thought up a price on what I have yet. If anyone is interested, I will get pics, I just got a new phone and have to go take pics. Thanks Mike

I think you're not getting alot of responses because a 4" HBM is a small HBM and those getting rid of a good manual HBM are probably replacing it with a CNC HBM and not really interested in a trade like you're offering.

A small HBM needs a space near a large door about 20' x 30'. You can get away with less, but after moving my 4" Kuraki around a dozen times trying to cram it out of the way I finally gave in, put it out in the middle under the crane and with easy forklift access and now its used all the time.

I appreciate the input, like I said I was looking to buy one, who knows somebody might one for sale and I just threw that in thinking it may draw some attention I already have a K&T 307 S-12. I do have large doors 19 high by 23 wide and I do have an overhead jib crane not far from that door. I am currently looking at a B75T which has a 3-in spindle. For what I will be doing I think that'll be okay? Plus that would be small enough that I could move it around with my forklift and boom crane if I have to.

All of these postings, and nary a D-I-M-E-N-S-I-O-N of the size machine you want.....
You want us to look up what a " B75T Wotan" is ?

Post up table size, and travels needed.

My apologies, the one I am looking at is approx. 160" long, 80" wide, 90" tall and about 1500 lbs. mike

My apologies, the one I am looking at is approx. 160" long, 80" wide, 90" tall and about 1500 lbs. mike

That has to be a typo right? 1500 lbs? Even 15,000 would be hard to imagine for a boring mill.

What are you needing a hbm for? You mention you need the tailstock. You plan to line bore? You need a lot of length/travel to line bore.

Yeah, gotta be 15,000. Small machine. And better to go bigger if possible. On a horizontal, beef helps a LOT sometimes.

And the horizontal was pretty obvious to me, as you mentioned a tailstock.

Yeah, that was a typo. It is approx. 15,000lbs. I build fabricated butterfly valves and am tired of cutting the holes in the bodies to weld the stuffing boxes in. I have other uses for one also but that would be the main thing. As far as the size, I think that size would work good for me. There are times when the valves are pretty big, but with those I don't mind the cutting with a hand plasma torch. Most of the holes will have to be bored 3"-4".

Even 15,000 is awful light for a 3" bar machine. The lightest DeVlieg 3" bar is 24,000#. Heck, even the 2 1/2" is 14,000#.

If I may ask, how heavy of a machine would I need to drill and bore holes 3" or 4" through 3/8" or 1/2" stainless or carbon? The stainless is usually 304, 316, 310 the carbon A36 or A516 GR 70.

It depends on how long the holes are and if you're going to be using the tailstock much. Long bars are heavy, and if they start to bounce/chatter on a lighter duty machine, look out. Lots of iron means more rigidity and damping. Generally the heavier machines are also more powerful, so you can also get the job done a lot faster at a higher MRR. Also likely to give rounder, truer bores.

I guess what we're all trying to say is: buy as big as you can. Unless you're just planning to stay in your niche on that one small job and never take any others that might be larger.

The guys here generally speak based on their experience, and lots of them are job shop guys that do/have done a variety of work. You learn some lessons during that process.

I want to thank you guys, because you have given me things to think about. Maybe heavier would be the way to go.

Your location shows Illinois; take a look at what Belmont Machinery has. They like to deal in horizontal boring mills. They have a nice selection of 5” and 4” machines, and some 3”. I just bought a 3” HBM this summer locally, haven’t had time to get it going yet. It is a 16,000 lb machine, and most 4” machines are right away around 30,000.

Tailstock, facing head, and built in rotary table are all features that add to the versatility of HBMs.

There is a pretty wide range of head and table travel specs within a given machine size also.

Back