What's new
What's new

WTF???? Suddenly cutting undersized.

That's a mystery. How the fuck did it run so many parts and suddenly decide to pick up the G41????

Only two of us have been anywhere near the machine. I know I haven't touched anything other than the green button and tailstock foot pedals.

I didn't write the program, my main man did, using Fusion. I don't like the programs it puts out. Lots of unnecessary crap thrown into program .

OK, "nothing changed" could mean:
a. the part didn't change, but the version of fusion, the output code, and the file on the machine changed
b. the part and the version of fusion didn't change, but different output code was generated and the file on the machine changed
c. somebody/something changed the file on the machine, but everything upstream is actually unchanged
d. it's the same program, but somebody comped the tools to make it work, and then somebody reloaded the tools and set the comp to zero

Welcome to "Version Control" and "Change Logging" - simple sounding topics that support entire industries....

By "nothing changed", I mean we loaded program into machine, set tools and work shift, ran first part. First article inspection, set a few wear comps, and made parts. Two and a half days with no problems. Then, WTF? tool is cutting under size. Particularly weird, because I have never used G41 on this machine. My guy says he didn't change anything in program, just did a little wear comp for threading tool, and I damn sure didn't change anything, just loaded part, punched green button and walked away to fuck something else up.

Memory glitch? IF stored in ascii G would be 0100'0111 while M would be 0100'1101. Two bits different. Of course they could be tokenizing everything and storing them as unique opcodes rather than byte streams.

I think you said it got very hot? Could, I suppose, have stressed memory...

No tool slippage. No change after power down/up.
Manually bring first tool down to the 1.944 section and display says 1.944. Re-qualify tool and the X value in geometry table changed by .001. No wear offset for this tool.
Rerun the finish sequence. Display says X2.00, tool is skimming a smidge off the part at 1.944.

Work shift unchanged.
How hot did it get in your shop? My machines do crazy things once it starts getting hot. In the summer i sleep in the day and work at night since the shop has no AC.

Able to spend a few minutes with the machine this afternoon. Touched off part with 4 tools and they all read some .056 smaller than actual size.
Temp is 114 F, Looks like I'll qualify 11 tools Monday morning and see what happens.
I hope it turns out to something simple, it usually is but only after you figure it out. ;-)
Temps of 115 are < 10 C off the spec for a lot of chips. I have a controller that goes wonky at 110F. Cool it down and it is just fine.
Testing at night when the temps are lower will reveal that kind of problem It might be as simple as cooling off the encoder.
I've had encoder couplers (shim type and helicoil) break and are just fine in one direction but awful when reversed.
Good luck and stay cool (yeh right ;-))

Back