What's new
What's new

Xometry Prices

I would starve before I gave one penny to an agent.........same as paying comissions on sales ..........you want comission ,ask the buyer to pay..........And I ran quite successfully on this principle for over 50 years .........when I sold ,it was direct to the neigbour ,zero comission ..........had one real estate agent tell me I was mad to sell without an agent.

You do realize there are a lot of “home shop” guys making an absolute killing though as well? So on the flip side, I appreciate all the negative feedback keeping a lot of shops from signing up 😂

Home shop guy here 🙋🏻‍♂️, I guess it depends what you consider home shop though for size. Building on my property, EC400PP, VF2SS, VF3SS, SL20 and some small misc equipment, in a separate building on my property………..oh yea, 100% paid for, running debt free……I built my building in 2019 for a time frame perspective. I would say they had a huge part in making it all happen, for me.

There’s always going to be low paying quick lead time jobs whether it’s through Xometry or direct.

I have a couple direct customers I get about 50% of my quotes, the 50% I don’t get, I typically get feedback, stating where my pricing came in at and most the time whoever I quoted against is somehow doing the damn job for less than I can get material for, how? I have no clue, can’t wrap my head around it. For a while I would shop around for material with other suppliers to see if mine was just ridiculous. Not once did I find a cheaper supplier.
I don't doubt you and others have made good money with xometry. Machining is a field were individual skill matters greatly. I believe that a truly talented machinist could make it almost anywhere in the world and even doing jobs for xometry. My only criticism of this line of thinking is that you can't have a "real" business based on your own personal skill. If you are 3x or 10x faster than the average machinist, you can't really hire anyone to take your place. This is one of the big challenges that I have in my business, but luckily I am able to charge enough so that I can turn a profit even with an employee doing the work. I don't think this is possible with xometry's pricing.

If you need to employ the best of the best to make money, that's not a good business. My neighbor the plumber doesn't need to hire the top 1% of plumbers in the nation in order to turn a profit. He makes a truckload of money basically hiring average guys. Average machinists would never cut it on xometry.

I would starve before I gave one penny to an agent.........same as paying comissions on sales ..........you want comission ,ask the buyer to pay..........And I ran quite successfully on this principle for over 50 years .........when I sold ,it was direct to the neigbour ,zero comission ..........had one real estate agent tell me I was mad to sell without an agent.
In my opinion middle men are a scab on the backside of humanity. One distinction I will make is someone who makes money managing complex projects with multiple vendors and then bringing it all together.

OT.
In South Africa it was illegal for middlemen to tender on government work. I knew a tool maker who did all the tooling and production of the ballot boxes for the first democratic elections. He went with the agent to get the final check from the electoral commission. The guy wrote out the check and as he was about to give it to the agent he asked the tool maker who he was, the toolmaker told him I'm the guy that did the work. Tore the check up and rewrote it with the toolmakers details. I'm not sure if the toolmaker gave the agent a cut, I would have but it would have been very small.

i have no objection to middlemen who pay for work upfront or on completion ,and resell...........my objection is to comission agents who put their hand out for doing nothing.

i have no objection to middlemen who pay for work upfront or on completion ,and resell...........my objection is to comission agents who put their hand out for doing nothing.
Semantics. Unless you are adding value in my opinion you are a scab.

So maybe using “aerospace and medical” jobs was the wrong wording, I was more associating them to high paying jobs for top customers.

Look at it from a ROI perspective, I am in no way saying accept a job that material costs more than the job listing. I see them, and of course I would never take them either. But many have made it clear the goal is to what? Get to a top tier, Xometry has it laid how you do so and how it can happen faster with certain certifications. So from an ROI perspective, you know there’s money that can be made with a little effort, so you don’t make $175/hr, you drop down to $75-100 and have your lowest man run some parts.

Like buying a $100k machine. Shops will drop $100k on a machine no problem banking on in some cases one customer. At what point do you start turning a profit on a $100k machine? Could be 6 months, could be 5 years 🤷‍♂️

So you run 10 jobs over a 3 month period of time at $75/hr and tier up. Did you lose money? Maybe a little, probably not enough to worry too much over, maybe you broke even or maybe were a little profitable. You’ll never know unless you try and who knows, maybe that’ll open the door to jobs you will now make $200/hr on.

I bought my EC400PP, 1 year ago this month. It’s used, 2013, it has paid for itself 10x already and honestly I think it has only seen Xometry jobs.
I asked multiple times for Xometry to “lay out a path”, no one there could. So if they presented to you some kind of road map, I’d love to see it.

I am the low man in the shop, it’s just me, I charge $75-$100 /hr for my work, everyday. The work on the board was $5-$10/hr work, if there was any money above materials. 99% of the jobs, and I’m not being obnoxious, I mean that literally, 99% of the jobs prices did not cover materials and post processing.

I’m ok with losing a little bit of money starting out to build a relationship with a bit customer. That’s not what Xometry is doing, which is the part of the question I asked, that you didn’t answer. And Xometry couldn’t answer.

How many non paying jobs did you take before you started to see jobs that paid?

Xometry couldn’t tell me if it was 1, 5, 10 or 100.

At the time I kept a spreadsheet, but I honestly had thought everyone had given up on Xometry for the worthless Ponzi scheme that it is. If I still had it I’d post some of the pricing and jobs they offered. I might still have the prints and job offer from one that I had saved. A small qty 3-5 parts, small parts, intricate machining, some obscure material, 1 day lead time, gold plated, $90.

So I take that job, and then it’s all reasonably priced jobs after that? Or do I have to do 10 of those jobs? 100?

You said loose a little bit, if your hourly rate is double mine, how do you drop down to do that job and justify it? Just have your low man do the gold plating so it doesn’t cost as much?

I don't doubt you and others have made good money with xometry. Machining is a field were individual skill matters greatly. I believe that a truly talented machinist could make it almost anywhere in the world and even doing jobs for xometry. My only criticism of this line of thinking is that you can't have a "real" business based on your own personal skill. If you are 3x or 10x faster than the average machinist, you can't really hire anyone to take your place. This is one of the big challenges that I have in my business, but luckily I am able to charge enough so that I can turn a profit even with an employee doing the work. I don't think this is possible with xometry's pricing.

If you need to employ the best of the best to make money, that's not a good business. My neighbor the plumber doesn't need to hire the top 1% of plumbers in the nation in order to turn a profit. He makes a truckload of money basically hiring average guys. Average machinists would never cut it on xometry.
I feel you there, I am in the exact same position. I know I couldn’t hire someone to do what I do so I’ve decided it just isn’t worth it and to stay small and my main goals were to get into a debt free position so I didn’t have to worry so much.

You do realize there are a lot of “home shop” guys making an absolute killing though as well?
There's no way a shop is making an "absolute killing" on Xometry.

Sure, a shop may be running a bunch of jobs at the same time from Xometry, or have paid-for machines, or whatever, but basically it's an accounting gimmick to cover the actual per-hour, per-machine rate a shop is charging.

"Making a killing" is winning 2-axis turning and 3-axis milling jobs at $150+ per hour, and 4-and 5-axis work at $250+ per hour.....

Unless a shop has a unique capability and/or skills, there's going to be other shops quoting the job using the same types of machines as everybody else. So then it's just a matter of how cheap somebody is willing to work...

Shops in the rural southern U.S. can quote cheaper and still make more profit than shops in higher-cost areas of the U.S. But, to continue this logic, shops in developing nations can underbid low-cost U.S. shops about every time...hard to compete against $20 per hour rates.

ToolCat

Last edited:
There's no way a shop is making an "absolute killing" on Xometry.

Sure, a shop may be running a bunch of jobs at the same time from Xometry, or have paid-for machines, or whatever, but basically it's an accounting gimmick to cover the actual per-hour, per-machine rate a shop is making. Unless a shop is winning 2-axis turning and 3-axis milling jobs at $150+ per hour, 4-and 5-axis at $250+ per hour.....they're not making a killing.

Unless a shop has a unique capability, there's going to be other shops quoting the job using the same types of machines as everybody else.

Shops in the rural southern U.S. can quote cheaper and still make more profit than U.S. shops in higher-cost areas. But, to continue this logic, shops in developing nations can underbid low-cost U.S. shops every time...

ToolCat
I on many occasions have cleared $250/hr. Average is easily about $150/hr. I’ve had $100k months. On average $20-30k/month.

I asked multiple times for Xometry to “lay out a path”, no one there could. So if they presented to you some kind of road map, I’d love to see it.
In the Partner Guide they have a “road map” to tier up, if they follow it 🤷‍♂️ I’ve heard many say you need to be invited now to Ultra Premium.

I am the low man in the shop, it’s just me, I charge $75-$100 /hr for my work, everyday. The work on the board was $5-$10/hr work, if there was any money above materials. 99% of the jobs, and I’m not being obnoxious, I mean that literally, 99% of the jobs prices did not cover materials and post processing.

I’m ok with losing a little bit of money starting out to build a relationship with a bit customer. That’s not what Xometry is doing, which is the part of the question I asked, that you didn’t answer. And Xometry couldn’t answer.

How many non paying jobs did you take before you started to see jobs that paid?
I got started early on, honestly I don’t recall a job I didn’t make money on. I have made as low as $75/hr, maybe $50 and $250+/hr. The lower paying jobs I’ll take on occasion when I have an open machine or a “free” day, I may be waiting on material or something and the machine is open, I’ll grab 3-5 lower priced jobs and bang them out in a day.

Xometry couldn’t tell me if it was 1, 5, 10 or 100.

At the time I kept a spreadsheet, but I honestly had thought everyone had given up on Xometry for the worthless Ponzi scheme that it is. If I still had it I’d post some of the pricing and jobs they offered. I might still have the prints and job offer from one that I had saved. A small qty 3-5 parts, small parts, intricate machining, some obscure material, 1 day lead time, gold plated, $90.

So I take that job, and then it’s all reasonably priced jobs after that? Or do I have to do 10 of those jobs? 100?

You said loose a little bit, if your hourly rate is double mine, how do you drop down to do that job and justify it? Just have your low man do the gold plating so it doesn’t cost as much?
I’m not dead set on absolutely needing $150-200/hr. I can drop down to $100 and be perfectly fine. As I said above, my main goal was to run debt free, my business and personal life is debt free, as an owner/individual I don’t need to pay myself $200k to sustain a lifestyle, $100k is very comfortable lifestyle when you have no debt.

My absolute best year in business I did $600k, I worked my ass off, on average hitting $400-500/year is easy and comfortable.

My absolute best year in business I did $600k, I worked my ass off, on average hitting $400-500/year is easy and comfortable.

These numbers with Xometry alone? Welp, I guess I’ll do their 10 page questionnaire again and see if there’s anyone competent there now that can answer our questions.

I’ve got my snorkel on. Will report how this goes.

I tried for 1.5 years, and never broke out of the bottom garbage-job tier. Cheers to the few that are killing it with X. My experience was nothing like that, nor was it the experience of a single one of the folks I know and trust, that tried to enter X in the past 3 years.

Regards.

Mike

I tried for 1.5 years, and never broke out of the bottom garbage-job tier.

There are definitely bigger jobs and more complex jobs available to the higher tiers, but I keep trying to tell anyone who will listen (including the folks at Xom) that higher tier doesn’t seem to translate into more consistently profitable.

I know you probably get that, but I think a lot of Xom suppliers are nurturing this fantasy that if they can just break into the next tier they will be able to make more money off Xom.

I think F35 totally nailed the dynamic.

There are definitely bigger jobs and more complex jobs available to the higher tiers, but I keep trying to tell anyone who will listen (including the folks at Xom) that higher tier doesn’t seem to translate into more consistently profitable.

I know you probably get that, but I think a lot of Xom suppliers are nurturing this fantasy that if they can just break into the next tier they will be able to make more money off Xom.
I want whatever tier Marvel is in :crazy:

I know, I know, I’m not worthy :wall:

I just wish X would make the experience for lower-tier shops less shitty.

Regards.

Mike

I want whatever tier Marvel is in :crazy:
My friend, I can 100% assure you it has nothing to do with the tier. We have ALL the tiers in my shop, and are subject to the same BS.

Like F35 said, it comes down to being a super lean and agile setup that can thrive on the type of work that requires an extremely skilled machinist to be profitable.

I question why anyone would take a job they knew going in was a loser.
Is everyone aware that you can put your price on jobs by going to feedback if you dont get it
at your price BFD.
And If you are taking loser jobs you are the problem.

I question why anyone would take a job they knew going in was a loser.

I think part of it is that there are a handful of really well dialed suppliers that are aligned just right with Xom’s model to make a tidy profit.

Those suppliers get on here (and elsewhere), and report their success. Folks reading it assume that it must just require getting into some magic tier that unlocks all the “good” work.

As a long term supplier, I hate it, because it forces me to be price competitive with a seemingly endless series of new “partners” who are literally going to give work away for a while thinking it will payout massively down the road.

So we end up almost exclusively doing work that is reserved for the upper tiers, which does carry more value, but isn’t necessary more profitable.

I
These numbers with Xometry alone? Welp, I guess I’ll do their 10 page questionnaire again and see if there’s anyone competent there now that can answer our questions.

I’ve got my snorkel on. Will report how this goes.
No not with Xometry alone, any given year they amount to 50-75% depending on my local customers but I could easily hit the numbers doing 100% with what I see on the board, I have a a few great local customers, I control my schedule pretty well with a good mix of work.

I know a few that rely on Xometry 100% and do well though.

And to anyone saying “you don’t build a relationship with a customer” to an extent, no you don’t, not direct, but you build a relationship with Xometry reps, within Xometry and they need shops to be successful for Xometry to be successful. When you build that relationship they look out for you they are there to help you be successful. They don’t want you losing money, unfortunately from what I have been told, it was a large influx of shops shipping failing parts that forced them to create this tier system, can you honestly blame them?

To them being a “middleman” yea, sure, I don’t want someone to take a cut, but they provided the work and 95% of the time I’m making my hourly rate, if they are making $50-100/hr on top of it, it is what it is, I still made what I needed to make. Money is money, they pay on time.

How many of you have taken a job from another shop? I’ve read on many forum threads and FB, “stop in a local large shop and get overflow work”, You don’t think they didn’t take a cut? What happens when that large shop slows down, they take their work back and you don’t have work.

I source out work to a few shops I don’t have capabilities for, occasionally my customer will give me a price point and the shop quotes it at 1/4 of the price point, you think I don’t take a massive cut? Would you not too?

Back