What's new
What's new

Xometry Prices

How many of you have taken a job from another shop?
I have never got a job from another machine shop, but I have heard that advice given in forums. When I was first starting my shop I went door to door to other shops and asked for overflow work like others suggested. I went to around 15 shops and none of them had any work to spare and many directly told me that I should quit and get out of the industry and that I was going to lose my shirt. I would say that the outlook for this field has not changed much since then and I seriously doubt that any shop would hand out work, myself included.

Contrast that to my neighbor the plumber who is always hiring plumbers and doesn't have enough people to do all of the (very well paid) work he has. His guys make six figures driving around in their vans all day.

I have never got a job from another machine shop, but I have heard that advice given in forums. When I was first starting my shop I went door to door to other shops and asked for overflow work like others suggested. I went to around 15 shops and none of them had any work to spare and many directly told me that I should quit and get out of the industry and that I was going to lose my shirt. I would say that the outlook for this field has not changed much since then and I seriously doubt that any shop would hand out work, myself included.

Contrast that to my neighbor the plumber who is always hiring plumbers and doesn't have enough people to do all of the (very well paid) work he has. His guys make six figures driving around in their vans all day.
I’ve done work for a few shops, I don’t prioritize it and I wasn’t out looking for it, more of a mutual connection deal, turned into a working relationship to utilize local shops for over flow, I only farm out stuff I don’t have capabilities to do. I have one customer that sends me packet RFQ’s, anywhere from 10-70 different parts. They like to keep the full job together. Typically 5-10% I don’t have the capability to do in house. I found 2 local shops that did and have them quote it and take it on if the PO is awarded.

I honestly have some parts that are being quoted at $200-300 and I’m getting $800-1200 for, easy money.

I’ve since added the capability, but it gave me an opportunity to not turn work away or no quote it and gauge if it was worth buying the machine. I still farm out the work when it makes sense or just don’t have time in my schedule.

I think part of it is that there are a handful of really well dialed suppliers that are aligned just right with Xom’s model to make a tidy profit.

Those suppliers get on here (and elsewhere), and report their success. Folks reading it assume that it must just require getting into some magic tier that unlocks all the “good” work.

As a long term supplier, I hate it, because it forces me to be price competitive with a seemingly endless series of new “partners” who are literally going to give work away for a while thinking it will payout massively down the road.

So we end up almost exclusively doing work that is reserved for the upper tiers, which does carry more value, but isn’t necessary more profitable.
I agree that is true. In order to do well, you have to be at a certain spot in the hierarchy, and be really tuned in to them. The tiers do not magically unlock only good work, but it puts a lot more good jobs on my board. I completely agree that their road map isn't ideal, and it would be better if they did on-site audits to determine capability.

and it would be better if they did on-site audits to determine capability.
I don’t agree with this, them determining shops capabilities. You can’t have someone, an “outsider” walk into a shop and determine the shops capability.

For instance, I’ve done a particular job a few times now, plate job, 32” x 32”, my biggest machines travel is 40” x 20”. Now you send a rep in, is it determined that is now out of my capability because it exceeds my travel limits?

I don’t have a 5 axis machine but I’ve done plenty of “5 axis” jobs.

They don’t know you, me, employees, a lot of us are skilled and can make things happen that don’t always necessarily fit our machines “capabilities”.

As a user I always go the "international" route. I used their quoting process for a job that would have cost me $800 in material and their price was about 1/3 with free shipping. The one job I had made by a US supplier was not good...The times that I have any issues with an "international" order Xometery made sure it was right. In one case a I had several molds made and a feature was missing. Xometery paid for a local vender to EDM the parts and gave me a $250 credit. As a customer I couldn't be happier. As a wanna be machinist I only use my machine for hobby work...and fun 9-)

Last edited:
I don’t agree with this, them determining shops capabilities. You can’t have someone, an “outsider” walk into a shop and determine the shops capability.

For instance, I’ve done a particular job a few times now, plate job, 32” x 32”, my biggest machines travel is 40” x 20”. Now you send a rep in, is it determined that is now out of my capability because it exceeds my travel limits?

I don’t have a 5 axis machine but I’ve done plenty of “5 axis” jobs.

They don’t know you, me, employees, a lot of us are skilled and can make things happen that don’t always necessarily fit our machines “capabilities”.
A capable "outsider" is very well is able to understand that 40 x 20 doesn't mean you cant do larger, and that you don't need a 5 axis machine to do 5 axis positional work. I'd be willing to wager pretty much every single person on this forum has done similar "feats".

A test piece that looks like something I made in shop class 25 years ago doesn't tell capability either. Neither does completing 10 shitty jobs. Combining multiple facets however is a much better way to tell capability, including sending someone who is knowledgeable in machining into partner facilities to help determine that.

Is Xometry worth it as a tool to make contacts if you are specialized and doing work most shops won't touch? (Use them as much as they are using you.)
Xometry has a very strict "no contact policy". You are not allowed to put notes or business cards in the boxes. You have to use plain boxes for shipping parts that have no logos on them and they want you to use their branded tape. Basically they don't want you to "use them while they use you"

i think reply #85 is the key..........great for buyers who get Chinese rates ,with the risk taken out.............not so good for US shops who compete with an entire low cost economy in the third world.

i think reply #85 is the key..........great for buyers who get Chinese rates ,with the risk taken out.............not so good for US shops who compete with an entire low cost economy in the third world.
The thing is is that they are a huge resource to the buyer. Where I work, the process is that the engineer releases a part to manufacturing. There we have a guy who looks at wether the part fits our in house machine shop's capabilities, as well as if he has the manpower to make it in the time allotted. In that case he buys the material processes the job and releases it out to the shop floor.

If it doesn't meet those criteria, he turns to his old boy network of friends/buddies, or other local shops deemed qualified, sends them the drawing to be quoted, and waits a week or two for the quotes to come back.

Then typically the lead time will almost always be standard 12 to 16 weeks unless we pay for expedite. These days his desk is pretty backed up and it can also take about 8 weeks for him to actually get to our drawings so 8 to process 2 to get quotes 16 to get parts.

We are in the custom machine building business, so a lot of our stuff is very low quantity and can vary in size shape features etc. It doesn't lend itself nicely to a lot of production shops and most people don't like taking our work. So sites like Xometry who have figured out how to quickly process prototype work or of huge value to us.

Lately more and more engineers are cutting our in house guy out of the process. They upload the part to Xometry, select the lead time they want to deal with and have a quote within seconds. If the design changes it's no sweat to get a new quote. Sometimes when we're not sure how much it will cost to add a feature to the design we just upload it in several different formats and pick the most economical solution. In the old boy network asking for multiple quotes, changing your quote, changing quantities and evaluating options is a good way to burn out vendors and wind up not getting quotes. With Xometry this is not an issue.

I realize how bad this must be for the individual machine shops, but until the little guys have the ability to do automated quoting and form alliances with other shops, such that I can upload a part and know it is within your capabilities and can be made in reasonable amount of time, I can't see how a lot of places will be able to compete.

Someone else mentioned how Xometry is just a middleman but the reality is the value that they provide is a whole lot more than just a typical middleman.

Some shops have done what they have, Protolabs comes to mind, but they're all doing it on a scale that is not available to the local garage machine shop. Perhaps with AI coming onto the horizon maybe someone will license a quoting engine that small shops can run on their own websites. The ability to drag, click, and get price/lead time is an enormous value to the end customer.

There are plenty of dumb, unorthodox and just plain backwards marketing tactics that “shops” employ, but listing your machines/travels on your website is up there.

This is the entire rationale for offshoring nearly the whole of US manufacturing in the last 70 years .
Not at all, it's just in this day and age people don't want to wait days for quotes that may not even come back, or meet lead time and or price considerations.

Sendcutsend.com for example has done a phenomenal job with laser cutting all domestically and $25 minimum orders, how many shops are set up to handle that? Last I knew protolabs was in the US and had the most Haas machining centers under one roof. They are very impressive too.

We built a custom machine on a customer's build to print project. There was a selector knob which clearly had been designed by someone who had never used a machine tool in their life. Everything about it was ridiculously complicated for a one-off part. Maybe injection molding but for what they were doing it made no sense. It was a five axis machining job for a simple knob with an arrow pointer on it. Nonetheless the engineer uploaded it to protolabs.com and it comes back a week later CNC machined for $150. At that price It wasn't even worth it for us to redesign it. Hard to imagine any of our traditional vendors even touching this part.

So I guess the question is are there any other online quoting engine technologies that small shops will be able to get their hands on other than dealing with Xometry?

Not at all, it's just in this day and age people don't want to wait days for quotes that may not even come back, or meet lead time and or price considerations.

Sendcutsend.com for example has done a phenomenal job with laser cutting all domestically and $25 minimum orders, how many shops are set up to handle that? Last I knew protolabs was in the US and had the most Haas machining centers under one roof. They are very impressive too.

We built a custom machine on a customer's build to print project. There was a selector knob which clearly had been designed by someone who had never used a machine tool in their life. Everything about it was ridiculously complicated for a one-off part. Maybe injection molding but for what they were doing it made no sense. It was a five axis machining job for a simple knob with an arrow pointer on it. Nonetheless the engineer uploaded it to protolabs.com and it comes back a week later CNC machined for $150. At that price It wasn't even worth it for us to redesign it. Hard to imagine any of our traditional vendors even touching this part.

So I guess the question is are there any other online quoting engine technologies that small shops will be able to get their hands on other than dealing with Xometry?

I love Sendcutsend. Sure, they're 5x the price of my local laser cutters, but I'll have the parts in my hand before the local guys get me a quote. And I've had the cutting edge laser shop 1/4 mile down the road from my shop quote small jobs with fuck you pricing. To the extent I've walked over and asked WTF?

What's even comical to me is I sometimes make money having other people's parts cut by sendcutsend. Everybody around here has a plasma table. And the quality is shit compared to laser. price is more too. I've had Sendcutsend cut thousands of pin shims for dirt machines. I've made single use tools.

If Sendcutsend didn't exist I'd have to buy a Plasma table and I really don't want one.

I love Sendcutsend. Sure, they're 5x the price of my local laser cutters, but I'll have the parts in my hand before the local guys get me a quote. And I've had the cutting edge laser shop 1/4 mile down the road from my shop quote small jobs with fuck you pricing.
Up until we got a laser we were doing a few million a year with outside laser cutters and fab shops. Sendcutsend gave me a promotional code to use if I could get my own company to sign on, so I gave them the contact info.

They had some parts quoted with sendcutsend and the pricing was almost the same as we paid locally. The only reason they lost out was shipping costs, they didn't have trucks that could deliver to us on a regular basis as they're half way across the country.

I was always under the impression that they were very reasonably priced after we did that comparison. I wonder what type of jobs they come out at 5x the price?

I was always under the impression that they were very reasonably priced after we did that comparison. I wonder what type of jobs they come out at 5x the price?

They're getting more and more expensive, raising their prices as they create a market. With shipping and all included the lowest I've seen them on higher quantities is double the price of local cutting and that was awhile ago. Presently, their prices are getting pretty up there.

A job my local cutters would do for $20 "when you're cutting that material for someone else", Sendcutsend is over $100.

And that's fine, it's not a big deal. I use them when time is more important.

A capable "outsider" is very well is able to understand that 40 x 20 doesn't mean you cant do larger, and that you don't need a 5 axis machine to do 5 axis positional work. I'd be willing to wager pretty much every single person on this forum has done similar "feats".

A test piece that looks like something I made in shop class 25 years ago doesn't tell capability either. Neither does completing 10 shitty jobs. Combining multiple facets however is a much better way to tell capability, including sending someone who is knowledgeable in machining into partner facilities to help determine that.
I was in no way saying there isn’t others that have done similar “feats” I was simply saying a vast majority of us do a lot of jobs that some, many “outsiders” would say we aren’t capable of doing.

Why allow any outsider from any company to come in and “help” determine a shops capability? I’m just saying I don’t need someone coming to my shop to “help” determine MY capabilities. No matter what their knowledge or experience in machining is.

A machine does not define one’s capabilities and no outsider can determine one’s capabilities by a shop visit.

Case in point, according to this video he accomplished this part in the same amount of time with far less equipment, you’re going to tell me an outsider is going to determines one’s capability by a shop visit, absolutely not!

Yes, but that video was BS. 🤣
😂 Right………I don’t believe the hours it took in the CNC one bit, but my point was an “outsider” can’t determine one’s capabilities, clearly shown in this video. I know plenty of guys that can accomplish this type of work with full manual equipment, fairly and I’m using fairly very loosely, efficiently.

Furthermore……….the tier, not many were invited to, the Trusted Network Group, assuming you got the same invitational call I did, explaining the group. It’s exactly what it’s called, Trusted, on top of the “top
tier” customers we’ll “cater” to, we have been Trusted by Xometry across the board, Trusted to provide feedback, Trusted to communicate, Trusted to accomplish the jobs we accept, Trusted to deliver on time, Trusted we will provide top quality parts. Now I’m going to group the Trusted term into knowing our shops and own capabilities that we don’t need an “outsider” to come help determine that. We have proven we can be Trusted.

There are plenty of dumb, unorthodox and just plain backwards marketing tactics that “shops” employ, but listing your machines/travels on your website is up there.
I don’t list my equipment, I feel to an extent that may deter customers, engineers, purchasers that “think” they know capabilities off a list of shop equipment.

It’s actually quite shocking how many engineers, purchasers, whatever you want to call them, have very little knowledge of the machining aspect of what they are having quoted.

Now I’m going to group the Trusted term into knowing our shops and own capabilities that we don’t need an “outsider” to come help determine that. We have proven we can be Trusted.

Dude, you are hyping this group up to be much more elite than it actually is.

We’ve been in the trusted partner network for about a month. Did a virtual tour and audit at the beginning of the year. Had an in-person audit from Xom a couple weeks ago. They have several customers that won’t send you work without visiting your facility first.

It’s pretty safe to assume they have been onsite with nate several times as well.

It’s great that you are having success with Xom, but I think you are getting excited and over speculating a LOT.

Back