What's new
What's new

Xometry Quality Lately?

Conrad Hoffman

Diamond
We've had pretty good results using Xometry for small quantity prototype parts... until recently. Almost everything we've received lately has be unusable due to burrs, bad geometry and totally out of control chamfers. Our parts are small, under 1" in most cases, but not that difficult. Were we just lucky before, or has something changed in their operations that anybody knows about?

We’ve used them several times in the past 2 years. Mainly aluminum parts between golf ball ball and video tape sized. I’ve never been pleased with the quality of what was delivered, but the person who liked ordering from them no longer works with me, so no need to keep using them.

A middle man ,of course ......how much stuff do you think amazon makes ....or ebay ........you make $ billions by skimming a percentage off the top......once 10% was considered acceptable,but since the billionaires got greedy ,30 % is the skim .

Bit of a thread drift but anyone have any stainless steel parts printed from them? Price/quality?

Go to Forecast 3D or Additive Manufacturing, LLC, cut out the middle man. I've had stainless prints from both of them, with post processing for things like functional threads, and have zero complaints.

On a serious note, what's the problem with asking the question or replying?
Because there are a bunch of threads on here about how services like Xometry cause bidding wars and encourage off-shoring of work to the lowest bidder, where a domestic shop can't even buy the material for the prices being quoted.

I was wondering the same thing. Some here may be participants but poor workmanship deserves to be called out, then maybe it will get fixed.
If you have ever tried making stuff for Xometry you would know. Bad quality from them, music to my ears! When I did that type of work I always liked dealing directly with the customer to better understand their needs.

While I generally agree that Xometry isn't helping this industry in the US on average, isn't there one member here in Michigan or something who does pretty working through them?

It seems to me that the drawing is the contract. If the drawing describes things that weren't delivered, kick it back to Xometry and make them fix it. Not your problem. Maybe Xometry will improve who they send work to. Maybe this will be the first they've heard about that supplier. Maybe it will be the first that supplier heard about their inspection person.

OC5qcGc

Because there are a bunch of threads on here about how services like Xometry cause bidding wars and encourage off-shoring of work to the lowest bidder, where a domestic shop can't even buy the material for the prices being quoted.
I was under the impression this was a known fact. Now I see the reason why someone would be hesitant to admit to conducting commerce with them. I don't swim in those waters so I was ignorant.

Back