What's new
What's new

Yaskawa v1000 Brake Resistor

Tuff Luck Tom

Aluminum
When I purchased my Mori Sl1h centroid converted lathe the owner mentioned that the 500 watt 50 ohm brake resistor may not be the most ideal. Decel time on the Yaskawa v1000 vfd is set around 3 seconds if I remember correctly. I have tried shorter times and the vfd is not happy so back to 3s it is. Under the recommendation of the P.O. I purchased a 1.8 ohm 3.5 kw used brake resistor from ebay. After hitting the buy it now button he seemed concerned it may not be suitable. I've had it sitting collecting dust since Jan 2021 and while the lathe is down for some other maintenance, I thought now may be the time to install it if it is suitable. I don't need aggressive stop times but I thought we could do a little better for ridged tapping blind holes. I could not find any specifications for brake resistor sizing in the drive manual. Maybe I missed it? I also searched prior posts but am still left with questions. Thanks for the advise!

So you guys don't need to pull it back out of the paragraph above here's the info again.

Machine- Mori SL1H
Motor Size- 5.5kw (continuous)
3 phase supply- 220v RPC
VFD- Yaskawa V1000
Installed Brake Resistor- 500w 50ohm
Brake resistor purchased- 3.5kw 1.8ohm

I also have a 500w 100ohm brake resistor that came bolted to the side of the 3.5kw 1.8ohm resistor.

Back