What's new
What's new

Yet another Gerstler clone.

That is truly a work of art. My uncle owns a sawmill up in Farmville VA. and has offered me all the walnut and chestnut I want. I may try my hand at that but I'm sure I could not build something as nice as you did. I'm kind of one of those "mark it with a micrometer and cut it with a chainsaw" guys.

Very nice! How many labor hours do you think it took?

I don't keep track but I'm guessing 80 to 100. That includes making the pulls and other hard parts. I spend too much time fussing over board selection, grain pattern and arrangement, obsessing over margin spacing, and changing my mind midstream.......Bob

Last edited:
That is truly a work of art. My uncle owns a sawmill up in Farmville VA. and has offered me all the walnut and chestnut I want. I may try my hand at that but I'm sure I could not build something as nice as you did. I'm kind of one of those "mark it with a micrometer and cut it with a chainsaw" guys.

I wonder where he gets the American Chestnut. As far as I know the only wood available is stuff cut 100 years ago.....Bob

That is beautiful, really nice
If you want to earn some cash, PM and I will relieve you of the burden of storing it :)
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the past I've given them to family and a deserving friend but I've kind of run out of them. PM me an offer I can't refuse........Bob

I spend too much time fussing over board selection, grain pattern and arrangement,and obsessing over margin spacing, and changing my mind midstream.......Bob

Nonsense, that's why it looks so good. It's the small and subliminal details that add up to a superior piece. Nicely done!

And that cherry is really going to look sweet in a few years after it colors up. Hope you'll post follow up pix then

You are correct about cherry getting sweeter with age. Way back in the day I made a roll top desk out of cherry and stained it. To this day every time I look at the desk I regret my ignorance. Thank you.....Bob

You are correct about cherry getting sweeter with age. Way back in the day I made a roll top desk out of cherry and stained it. To this day every time I look at the desk I regret my ignorance. Thank you.....Bob

That photosensitivity can bite you on the ass if you're not careful. Back in the 80's when I still made furniture I had a little mahogany table in a gallery. Owner put it in the front window with a little sculpture on it. Got it back with a serious bright patch where the light was blocked, had to plane and refinish it. Similar deal with a big cherry extension dining room table. The leaves were stored in a fitted case, when they sold it they had to send them back to me, I used UV lamps to color them up.

Back