What's new
What's new

Yet another gerstner clone

bhigdog

Stainless
I know I said I wasn't going to make any more tool boxes but I found a few curly maple boards in my pile I didn't even know I had. The figure was so stark I had to do something with them. At age 83 if I left them in the pile I'm guessing they would end up as firewood. Predominate wood is curly maple, front panel insert is quilted maple, i don't know what to call the drawer face pattern but I thought it interesting, a bit of cherry for the dividers and poplar and maple secondary wood.
The box may be a bit too gaudy and in your face for some but I kind of like it20230601_132428.jpg20230601_132428.jpg

Attachments

• 20230601_132428.jpg
    20230601_132428.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230601_132553.jpg
    20230601_132553.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230601_132744.jpg
    20230601_132744.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
That's is awesome, do you have any in construction pictures ?
No I sure don't. Basicly it's just a box with runners for drawers. The biggest thing is everything MUST be kept square. Lose that and it will never be right.
That said, There is an awful lot of fussy details that must be paid attention to.
There are about 140 wood pieces and about 42 metal pieces including the made alum drawer bottoms and brass knobs. That doesn't include screws and bought hardware like latches etc.
Thanks all for your kind comments..........Bob

Last edited:
I asked before, but... Are you SURE, that you don't want to adopt? :)

That should be for sale in the highest end Jewellery Store within a five or so hour flight from you! Seriously! Put a mirror full size, fitted into the lid, and I think you can get thousands for it!

And, hey! See if you can find a talented local kid to set up to 'inherit' your wood pile! Better it be used than burnt!

My name is Richard, and I'd be happy to carry that box anywhere!

Pretty amazing work and wood, sure hope this isn't your last hurrah, the world needs more of these!
Every time I make one I swear it's my last. Then I find a few interesting boards in my wood pile. ..............Bob

Beautiful chest Bob!
What finish did you use?
I've been wanting to build some tool boxes with the English Walnut cut offs I have piling up from building these. Problem being I'll have to wait till I can find all the free time it takes to build them.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    659.2 KB · Views: 23
Beautiful stock. Checkering looks superb. I'm using Min Wax wiping poly now. 4 to 5 coats with a lite 0000 steel wool pass between coats............Bob

The Little Richard edition :D

I probably wouldn't be brave enough to carry it into a shop, but it's definitely cool.
Actually I don't imagine anyone using my boxes in a general shop setting. I make them for my own pleasure both in the making and my and others pride of ownership. I do usually give them away. Of the 6 or so I've given away all are kept in private spaces. One to keep fly tieing supplies. One holds pinball repair parts. Another an arrow head collection. One a wife claimed for her jewelry making stuff. One is put away by my son to give to his daughter when she is old enough to be settled.
I think mine is the only one holding actual machine tools and that's just a 1/4 sawn white oak one.
I have a curly cherry one in my office that I just look at but the latest curly maple might take it's place, for awhile anyway. There is something wrong with me....................Bob

Last edited:
Ohio travel bag or Rockler for the corners, latches, etc. All the other stuff, drawer pulls, spring pins, pin latches etc etc I make myself..........Bob

Actually I don't imagine anyone using my boxes in a general shop setting. I make them for my own pleasure both in the making and my and others pride of ownership. I do usually give them away. Of the 6 or so I've given away all are kept in private spaces. One to keep fly tieing supplies. One holds pinball repair parts. Another an arrow head collection. One a wife claimed for her jewelry making stuff. One is put away by my son to give to his daughter when she is old enough to be settled.
I think mine is the only one holding actual machine tools and that's just a 1/4 sawn white oak one.
I have a curly cherry one in my office that I just look at but the latest curly maple might take it's place, for awhile anyway. There is something wrong with me....................Bob
Dude, if that is 'wrong', please, don''t ever look for the so called cure!

True story. If you were to document the building of a box like that, I would buy the publication it was published in!

Not to learn how, so much, but because it's just nice, to see what a talented craftsman can do, and how he or she does it!

Back