What's new
What's new

yet another STUPID video from practical machinist youtube page

Actually Rhino can be used for CAD even though its a shit software based on NURBS YUK!
but someone came out with a node based scripting software for it called Grasshopper, so...
1701405701062.png

Anyone know of any other CAD or CAM using any node based stuff in them?

You guys sure have a strange threshold of what to get pissed off about.

Here's something to rage about. This guy has youngins in the comments believing him. This isn't the one I posted elsewhere. He made another video to get the last word. He's a repair shop and preaching like he's a manufacturing shop. 48K subscribers and 7,900 views on this very video.

You ruined me with this guy, I watched the video, and now a couple more, man this guy is super annoying!

You ruined me with this guy, I watched the video, and now a couple more, man this guy is super annoying!
He seems nice enough but, he's a repair machine shop, not a manufacturing shop. Got a broken piece of industrial equipment in Alaska? He's probably your dude. Need 100 widgets made for a competitive price? Probably not your dude.

I think its peoples interpretation of using the software. They added that finish option as speed to make quick regular parts I'm sure, I wouldn't use it, but its handy for others.
My roughing of any surface, never has anything to do with the finishing of the surface,
there is always a separate operation, Why? The strategies are totally different for what you are trying to accomplish, 100%
right, just because the 'industry standard' (LOLOLOLOL) software does it this way, doesnt meant that its the right way to do it, simply just how they do it.

Autodicks is correct, If only people new software history, they wouldn't buy shit from that place.

I heard Pro/e was powerful, but haven't used it either.

I didn't see Alias design studio, when Alias and Wavefront merged and they came out with Alias/Wavefront's Maya I did check this out a bit, but that was a long time ago, I've slept since then.

Some Autodicks history for others, the top three 3D Animation software's were Alias/Wavefront- Maya, Softimage-3D Extreme(XSI) , and SideFX-Houdini
Autodick's had nothing Hollywood quality, they had 3D MAX mid tier video game making software.
So as usual they bought up Maya, soon after they bought up Softimage, and luckily no Houdini.:bowdown:

Now Maya is the most popular (the MasterSCAM of 3D) but Softimage was better and more powerful, and Houdini is just known as being the most powerful but the highest learning curve.
shortly after buying Softimage, they stripped it, and shut it down, DEAD!

They have done this so many times, I could probably mention at least half a dozen I know of.

Now I leave people with this, the most popular software was kept, but the better more powerful software was shutdown.
So just because your MasterSCAM is the most popular absolutely doesn't mean its the best/most powerful.

Ahh I remember the days of trying to learn C++ so we could code shaders for using in PIXARS Renderman, that was cringe.
ooh, masterSCAM, another new one i'll have to add to my arsenal! :D

o_O watchu talkin bout willis?
Back in newsgroup days, surfcam and mastercam were the two big mass-market players. Each one had its own group of devotees, with appropriate insults :D

There were a lot more choices back then, too. Delcam (?) and Feature Recognition had one guy in south bay who was pretty knowledgeable, probably a lot more i've forgotten. Cimatron was another that seems to have disappeared.

at that time, smurfcam really was a nicer, better program than masterscam. Only the good die young ?

Back in newsgroup days, surfcam and mastercam were the two big players. Each one had its own group of devotees, with appropriate insults :D

There were a lot more choices back then, too. Delcam (?) and Feature Recognition had one guy in south bay who was pretty knowledgeable, probably a lot more i've forgotten.

at that time, smurfcam really was a nicer, better program than masterscam. Only the good die young ?
yeah i was a preteen in those days... lol

i HOPE nobody actually does that seriously on purpose.
I do it all the time. But I copy the rough path and alter it. Usually I'll change the stepover from 10% to 70% , zero stock on the floor and extra stock on the walls.

If you're talking about roughing to depth and leaving that finish I agree, it's not usually smooth.

Its just money, they'll make more of it :D

Yeah I took a look to see what you were talking about, yeah that little idiot button that creates a duplicate finish pass.
Dude in the video even setting up a proper separate finish pass operation, leave some floor.
Don't let your software dictate how you machine.
I like how MasterSCAM even has things labeled, pocket, and then inside is routines, reminds me of people talking about just hitting the machine part button, or these shit software's that are all feature based, so must convert to features first.
My software isn't really like that, you go get the machining strategy you want, pocketing something out could, depending on how you wanted it, could be in like 4 or 5 places in the software.
some software has power instead of simplicity, best software I ever ran, and most powerful, was labeled as the hardest most difficult to learn, powerful software usually is.
That 2D pocket path is ancient and I haven't used it but maybe 5 times in 25 years. It's probably one of their worst toolpaths for roughing anything.
Anyone that uses it now deserves to have their tools broken or have their cycle times be 3 days longer than they should be.

Back in newsgroup days, surfcam and mastercam were the two big mass-market players. Each one had its own group of devotees, with appropriate insults :D

There were a lot more choices back then, too. Delcam (?) and Feature Recognition had one guy in south bay who was pretty knowledgeable, probably a lot more i've forgotten. Cimatron was another that seems to have disappeared.

Well Autodicks bought up Delcam, now they got Powermill and Featurecam, ok kids can we say, "thanks Autodicks" , They will be shutting those down soon enough.
I know a lot of people in the injection mold machining use Cimatron, that's kinda their niche. We were looking at getting it in the past.
We had a guy that refused to learn new software, brought in his own copy of Smurfcam, it was old and clunky though, So he quickly got hip to GibbsCAM.

Last edited:
Can't go into business with the goal to be rich, I try to be comfortable and if that means getting paid the same as I was an employee but I have more flexibility in my schedule, that's comfort. If your income increases that's just a plus.
My goals where double an employees income and have flexibility.
My buissness can be far to ebb/flow. I mentally need a buffer or I’ll go back to working for someone else.

That 2D pocket path is ancient and I haven't used it but maybe 5 times in 25 years. It's probably one of their worst toolpaths for roughing anything.
Anyone that uses it now deserves to have their tools broken or have their cycle times be 3 days longer than they should be.
Considering that the 2D dynamic paths weren't introduced until about 13 years ago, what was the alternative? 3D rough / 3D finish? I don't see anything else in there.

It's not like Houdini or Inferno or even Shake, but if you want to try drawing a model in a c-type language, look at OpenSCAD. It's plenty peculiar :)
:eek: Yikes!, I forgot this name , I never looked at this, C script based modeler, OUCH!

Back