What's new
What's new

Your Recommendation for Larger, Cheaper Version of 3M Trizact Sanding Pad

#5 ii Alive!

Aluminum
Your Suggestions for Possible Larger, Cheaper Versions of 3M Trizact Pads

Howdy, All:

I've been using 3M Trizact sanding/polishing pads for a number of years in my business with great success for my particular application. I typically using the 5000 grit (pictured below) and will soon be trying the newer 8000 grit pads. This is what I've been using:
ENxkvnF.jpg

3M Hookit Trizact Foam Disc 6" 5000 Grit
3MI-7100003887

3M Hookit Trizact Foam Disc 6" 5000 Grit 3MI-7100003887 | Blend Supply, LTD

I'm wondering if any other companies besides 3M might make something similar to this product but larger -- a twelve-inch diameter disc would be perfect and fit my application to a T. I'm already using a 12-inch felt pad, but the Trizact actually works better for my application. You guys seem to know everything, so I'm sure a few of you will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and knowledge,

Yeah, I’ve had them cut some custom sized discs before. I’d at least start there. Who do you buy your abrasives from, can you get them to set up a phone call with a rep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The products sold for either lapidary processing or for metallurgical sample preparation will likely work for you, and are available in larger sizes. But costs can be considerable.

I think getting some custom size quotes from 3M and Norton makes sense...

Thanks to all of you, Gents. I just had a thought. I bet 3M or Norton or someone would sell me some of this stock in sheet form. I'd better my bottom dollar they'd have it in a 12-inch-wide sheet.

Thanks!

ahh.. I'd contact 3M...

I'll tell you a funny story. I've called 3M several times about different topics (not this one) and do you know they are such a gi-normous company that oftentimes they have no idea what I'm talking about if it has to do with another division. Just crazy. So, as busy as I am, that would likely not be my first option.

Thanks, though.

I'll tell you a funny story. I've called 3M several times about different topics (not this one) and do you know they are such a gi-normous company that oftentimes they have no idea what I'm talking about if it has to do with another division. Just crazy. So, as busy as I am, that would likely not be my first option.

Thanks, though.

You need to speak with your local rep. Are you buying these from a local distributor or just on the internet? 3m is a big company, so I agree that calling their customer service line is going to get you nowhere. But if you speak with your abrasive distributor who will have a contact with a rep things can get done. If you are just buying these from a low cost vendor on the internet good luck. This is exactly the scenario where it pays to buy from a local distributor.

You need to speak with your local rep. Are you buying these from a local distributor or just on the internet? 3m is a big company, so I agree that calling their customer service line is going to get you nowhere. But if you speak with your abrasive distributor who will have a contact with a rep things can get done. If you are just buying these from a low cost vendor on the internet good luck. This is exactly the scenario where it pays to buy from a local distributor.

That's a good point. I'll sniff around. I could also talk to the factory and then ask them to refer me to a local distributor in my area.

Thanks,

First place I'd look is Supergrit website. If they don't stock it on the shelf, I'm sure they can get what you're looking for, and they have decent prices.

As an aside...what doo you doo with 5000 and 8000 grit paper ?

Digger, hi. It's actually not sandpaper. The Trizact products are thin pads, roughly 1/4" thick. They have the springiness close to, say, thin neoprene. I polish the workpiece on the pad, usually with water, then begin tumbling with corncob at 8K, to 14K, 25K, up to 100,000 grit.

Digger, hi. It's actually not sandpaper. The Trizact products are thin pads, roughly 1/4" thick. They have the springiness close to, say, thin neoprene. I polish the workpiece on the pad, usually with water, then begin tumbling with corncob at 8K, to 14K, 25K, up to 100,000 grit.

Wow, 100,000 grit.

FWIW I adapted a Supfina machine to work at a distance, in a tite space, and we used some similar sounding 3m paper, glued to a rubber pad.

But IIRC it was 2000 grit diamond.

Gem Industries makes an orbital sander/buffer that takes 11" discs hook and loop, and they may also have Trizac discs. They do cut 11" Trizac but not sure if Gem Industries sells them.

Sunmight and Eagle both have equivalents to Trizact and both are popular in high end auto paint work. None of these products could be called cheap, but 3M's prices have risen to insane levels. That's the thing that has driven body and paint shops to find alternate products that do perform (as opposed to stuff that's just cheap and generally a waste of time and money).

Both companies have US sales offices available via Google.

Back