What's new
What's new

Yuasa B6439 chuck on Whacheon lathe. Modern equlivant and or parts?

fgen

Plastic
Hey,
I have a Yuasa 8 1/2 in three jaw chuck that says "Made in Japan" and B6439 on it. It was with a Whacheon lathe.
Any idea where I can get parts/info on this thing? Trying to put it in service.
The lathe also came with a nice looking 10 1/2 in 4 jaw chuck that has 80004 stamped on the front, and a blue round metal insert
that I get no writing from at all. If anyone has any idea about this that would be nice as well. They seem decent parts
but the 4 jaw has smaller chuck key sockets, which seems odd.
Anyway, long shot and maybe not the correct place to ask, but thanks for any hints.
Regards,
f

Hey,
Thanks for the info.
There's nothing really wrong with either chuck, but the 3 jaw has a zerk on the face. If it is a high end chuck (seems not but far from horrible) then I was just keen to
locate spare/soft jaws and find out what kind of grease is proper for the thing.
I don't have keys either and have had really ungood results buying same online, often having to go oversize and then grind to fit. Long ago I made a mini size
key to double team a 4 jaw when I had mill access, but trying to get the instant grat on something that works. Also have had bad luck trying
to measure the socket (taper wall) and guess something that kind of works.
I'm just on the far end of that fascination one develops for 4-jaw because you can then get by with lower cost junk and still get within a thou on
chuck up that your worn out 3 jaw (speaking here of older other chucks that are hopefully in my past forever) couldn't touch.
Fyi I have discovered that the 4-jaw responds very well to a 3/8 socket extension from which I'm going to try to grind out the ball detent and weld on a T. That was
a surprise.
Thanks again for info.

Back