What's new
What's new

Robot Accuracy

CutEdge

Aluminum
*Please note, this is not a forum for talking about precision or repeatability. This is specifically for talking about accuracy.*

I'm about 3 years into an automation design job, and I'm now getting a feel for the accuracy limits of robots. Having come from a previous job doing more CNC-based designs, I have had to take a step back. For even a low-cost CNC, .003" accuracy is easily achievable. For a robot, .040" is common for us.

To get what we need with robots, we have to program in compensations found by trial and error. Again, I'm not talking about going back to the same position over and over... I'm talking accuracy, which means sending the robot to a place that it has never been before. This is necessary for picking scattered parts off a platform, using a camera to tell the position and orientation of the part. The parts are always in different locations, so the robot is constantly having to explore uncharted territory, so to speak. Yes, we have calibrated the camera. But it is becoming apparent that, even with a perfectly calibrated camera, robots lack accuracy. This means picking one dowel up .050" from the end, and picking the next one up .010" from the end.

All that is my motivation for posting this thread, but I don't want to get into specifics about my particular applications... I don't want to make it work... I don't want to fix it... I want to discuss the general accuracy limitations of robots. From what I can tell, most robot manufacturers do not state any accuracy rating for their robots, whatsoever. They all rate them on repeatability. I'd like to hear from the community, then, what is your experience with your robots?

Examples:
  • We have a 6-axis Mitsubishi RV-2FR with a dual gripper. We have taught the tool center points (TCPs) correctly using best practices. We can jog the robot until a fine point indicator tip in the gripper at the TCP is exactly touching a fine point indicator tip mounted to a fixture on a platform. We can verify the tips are touching exactly using 2 microscopes. We can then rotate the robot around its TCP z axis by 180 degrees. If the robot were perfectly accurate, the 2 points would still be touching. But they are off by .020". If I then rotate around the x axis by 45 degrees, and try the experiment again, I might be off .040". This is all slow-jogging, and waiting for the servos to stabilize, so the effects of speed and acceleration should have no influence. The servos are going where they are told to go; I do not doubt the encoders. When we actually run it in a program (picking up parts), we can be off by more than .060".
  • I have seen slightly better accuracy out of a UR5e 6-axis robot; however, this one is using a single gripper, so there are no compound angles. This may be helping us there. For that one I never see worse than roughly .020" error.
  • On our Mitsubishi RH-3CH Scara, I do not see accuracy error at all; however, note that this robot never changes its orientation during pickup. All parts are picked at the same orientation (yaw angle about the z axis), so rotation errors are out of the question.
  • We also have a Fanuc LR-Mate 200id/7L; I have not measured the accuracy, but I know that we have to compensate for inaccurate pickups by placing them in a fixture and re-picking them. This compensation can be up to .080".

So, from my experience, we are seeing somewhere between .020" and .080" inaccuracy in robot picking applications where parts are scattered in random orientations. I wish I had known this going in; I may have done things differently; I may have planned on re-picking all parts; I may have never planned to rely on pickup accuracy in the first place; I might have used a gantry system with servos on linear rails and ball screws, with accuracy ratings, instead of using robots. Who knows!

Long story short, it would be nice to document some kind of understanding of what kind of accuracy can reasonably be expected of a robot. Maybe the industry will start actually measuring and stating this!

Last edited:
I suspect the problem you're seeing is caused by gravity. Nothing is perfectly rigid and the stronger you make it, the heavier it becomes, worsening the problem. As you noted: the end effector could be in one programmed location, with the other joints in very different orientations. That could cause quite a bit of deflection in one orientation versus the other.

Have you looked into how the robotic CNC carving machines compensate? Or is it just 'good enough' and they make what they make? I have known a few people who really thought that method was going to take off.

I guess my first question is - what is your vision system?
Just a single camera on the bot arm?
Or something more better?

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I suspect the problem you're seeing is caused by gravity.
It should be possible to say how much influence it will have on accuracy. The robots are all rated for load. Say it's a 5kg-rated robot and its reach is 24"... say its joints are made of profiles at least as rigid as 3" aluminum square tubing with .125" wall thickness... an equivalent cantilever beam would deflect .003". Maybe there's some slop in the gears or something... it would be nice if some company out there could do testing and give an overall accuracy rating to various robots.
I guess my first question is - what is your vision system?
Cognex 5MP camera mounted above the picking area.

Obviously there are a lot more dynamics involved with positioning a 6 axis robot arm hanging on to a load vs a CNC machine.

ABB seems to dominate for hole generation in aerospace manufacturing. They do advertise absolute accuracy specs. I think ~.020in is in the range of normal for an optioned out arm. I don't have in-depth experience with anything other than a lowly FANUC pick and place though.

Panasonic with plasma head is .03 on arm, .06 on travel. Going back to tcp it is almost always within not measurable in fab shop environment repeatable.
The travel confuses me, this is easy rack and pinion on rails. Seems to be the one axis that would be exact.

Epson 6 axis I've seen as bad as +-1mm. SCARAs should be pretty much dead nuts, at least +-.1mm and realistically better, just because there is so much less joint stacking and there aren't any out-of-plane axes.

I remember someone making a volumetric compensation product or service for 6 axis robots five or six years ago, but I can't seem to find them now.

But, yes, the difference between the quoted repeatability and the discovered accuracy for industrial 6 axis robots is eye opening the first time.

Apples and oranges.
A 6 axis robot, a scara, and a cartesian (machine tool like) are so different.
The further away you get from any rotary joint the higher the inaccuracy.
This true in robots and the in the design of 4-5-6+ axis machine tools.
Many people have tried to put a machining spindle on the end of a big ass robot. It does not work so well.
Here there is no load but that moment arm out there kills ya.
You get repeatability but not accuracy. If you replace a robot worn out with a new one they will not be the same.
Problem nowadays is that so many do this simulation inside the perfect world on the computer and wonder why the real world is just not right.

Vision system feedback and correction on grabbing is a whole another can of worms. (I so hate random bin picking.....)
For a human so easy. For a robot and it's view not so great.

Maybe full of shit and say other out loud.
I post this as .. well an old stupid fart in robots, machine design, and machine vision, ....no expert.
Bob

Last edited:
Obviously there are a lot more dynamics involved with positioning a 6 axis robot arm hanging on to a load vs a CNC machine.

ABB seems to dominate for hole generation in aerospace manufacturing. They do advertise absolute accuracy specs. I think ~.020in is in the range of normal for an optioned out arm. I don't have in-depth experience with anything other than a lowly FANUC pick and place though.
This product specification, on page 44-49, describes what ABB is doing to get their accuracy to where they can actually state it. They state the "max" of typical production data to be .45mm for their 5kg model. That's .018".

Here's what "Absolute Accuracy" entails:
Absolute accuracy calibration (optional)
Based on standard calibration, and besides the robot at synchronization position, the Absolute accuracy calibration also compensates for:
• Mechanical tolerances in the robot structure
• Deflection due to load
Absolute accuracy calibration focuses on positioning accuracy in the Cartesian coordinate system for the robot.
A robot calibrated with Absolute accuracy has a sticker next to the identification plate of the robot. To regain 100% Absolute accuracy performance, the robot must be recalibrated for absolute accuracy after repair or maintenance that affects the mechanical structure.
That's a special extra option just to get you to .018" accuracy; and if you repair or maintain it you might need to do it again. I would bet that most robot companies do not do this, and that inaccuracy of .040" or more is commonplace if there's no special attention paid to accuracy.

Which is great if you're used to that, but for anyone else coming into robotics that doesn't want to spend 3 years scratching your head, there should be a big sign somewhere, maybe a billboard on every major highway, that says "robot accuracy = 1 or 2 millimeters".

Problem nowadays is that so many do this simulation inside the perfect world on the computer and wonder why the real world is just not right.
Modifying the weight of end-of-arms is normal to us. Whether it be scrapping steel details and replacing them with aluminum, or making swiss cheese of the steel plates and details. "Weight alterations" happen on more automated cells we make than not.

Even with todays tech inertia, leverage and gravity remain a bit of a mystery.

Yes CutEdge, you are totally right.

I was trying to convey that to my knowledge the most accurate robots on the market, with all the right options and calibration, are in that .020in range.

When I went to FANUC integrator training there were several of us who worked for big machine tool builders, and the instructor kept telling us to remember that the absolute positioning on robots is terrible, but repeatability is pretty good. He also stressed the importance of testing at full speed, because unlike a modern CNC, the path of travel can change quite a bit when you crank up the rapids.

He also stressed the importance of testing at full speed, because unlike a modern CNC, the path of travel can change quite a bit when you crank up the rapids.
Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I've had to slow down not only the approach move (going to place a part, say), but also the move before it (to make sure the approach move is starting from the correct point).

I went into robotics pretty much assuming everything would be noodly. Regrips are always a good idea.

Would a wrist camera help in your vision application?

There is a high-accuracy package for Fanuc robots that adds secondary feedback to the joints. It greatly increases accuracy.

My friend has an italian robot running on a Siemens control that can do high accuracy just with a comp table, no secondary encoders necessary. unfortunately I don't remember the brand. The comp table is done by moving the robot to a bunch of different positions and measuring the actual location with a laser

Long story short, it would be nice to document some kind of understanding of what kind of accuracy can reasonably be expected of a robot. Maybe the industry will start actually measuring and stating this!
May be to open ended as the variables regarding weight, position, speed etc are so different between applications.

This is from memory so the company may be incorrect but I think Ingersoll did extensive testing of hexapods for machining and decided the accuracy just wasn’t there to do high precision work.

I spoke to a engineer from ANCA and they are doing some work around linear actuators that they claim gives super high precision.

This is from memory so the company may be incorrect but I think Ingersoll did extensive testing of hexapods for machining and decided the accuracy just wasn’t there to do high precision work.

There are videos on the 'tube of an old Okuma hexapod mill. A couple companies definitely still sell them (Starrag Ecospeed). There are almost certainly all kinds of issues with the concept, but it's a fun rabbit hole.

Series robots, like a 6 axis, the angle errors accumulate over distance. So any inaccuracy in J1 or J2 gets magnified hugely by the time you get out to the end. Further, a typical 6 axis might have travel of 80" x 80" x 80" and weigh 100lb total. A mill that that's got an 80x80x80 travel could easily be more like 100,000lb.

A hexapod is a totally different animal. That's a parallel robot rather than a series robot, so errors don't accumulate the same way. But now you're 6 big servos and 6 high precision ball screws, plus twelve high precision multi-axis rotary joints. The real killer for a hexapod in a milling application is obvious if you watch the Okuma video: No big angles. You can't kick the head over 90 degrees and mill pockets on the sides of a part, so you're limited a LOT in what you can use it for. A couple degrees for draft on a mold cavity? Sure. Done-in-one machining with side features? No way. Plus they take up an enormous amount of space.

(working on a hexapod base for a hobby flight sim right now)

Back