What's new
What's new

OT- Favorite pistols to shoot

I'll add another voice in support of the S&W 41 as a classy .22 that puts a smile on your face.
This being a machinist forum, I have to speak up for the ones where the fit&finish make them a joy to hold and shoot:
S&W "triple-lock"
SIG P210 (sorry but the Swiss-made ones are nicer than the new American guns)
Manurhin MR73

Something like a tuned S&W model 14 is also a good choice.
Sure, there are plenty of really nice 1911s out there, but it's hard to know what's worth the money and what's expensive show.

I've always bee a 1911 guy , before my dad got Parkinson's he bought a Smith 3914 9mm hoping that my mom would shoot it . She never did & I have it now & I was surprised how accurate it is . It's smaller then my 1911s but it's a easy conceal , it's not a double stack , has the ambidextrous safety . I like it a lot . I think if I was to buy a new handgun today one I'd be lookin at is that Tisas 9mm 4.5 barrel 1911 . If yer not sure what caliber there's always a Thomson Contender & ya can pick from many calibers . I have 10" barreled 30-30 & it don't kick half as much as I thought it was gonna , but it has a ported barrel . I can shoot 22, 38/357 or the 30-30 . I can change calibers & be punching paper again in @ 3 minutes .
animal

Last edited:
I've always bee a 1911 guy , before my dad got Parkinson's he bought a Smith 3914 9mm hoping that my mom would shoot it . She never did & I have it now & I was surprised how accurate it is . It's smaller then my 1911s but it's a easy conceal , it's not a double stack , has the ambidextrous safety . I like it a lot . I think if I was to buy a new handgun today one I'd be lookin at is that Tisas 9mm 4.5 barrel 1911 . If yer not sure what caliber there's always a Thomson Contender & ya can pick from many calibers . I have 10" barreled 30-30 & it don't kick half as much as I thought it was gonna , but it has a ported barrel . I can shoot 22, 38/357 or the 30-30 . I can change calibers & be punching paper again in @ 3 minutes .
animal
Agree on most of the above. Just plinking on the range, it's Thompson Contender all the way.

One of the things which amaze me is how much importance some here and in the general auto gun world put on it being a double stack magazine.

In real world self defense, if you can't git 'er done with eight shots, all the magazine capacity in the world won't help you.

Same with full auto long guns; ammo is heavy to hump and very bad to run out of. I told my guys, "We carry on single fire. Unless you hear me go full auto, don't. If I hear one of ours go full auto, I'll turn and shoot at it, because that would mean the bad guys have killed you and captured your weapon."

jack vines, who favors carefully aimed shots,

Depends what tickles your fancy, but my most fun one to shoot is an old Iver Johnson 32 S&W. It's a little 5 round top break revolver that was the old school conceal carry for white collar folk. I didn't realize when I bought mine that the old ones were pre-smokeless powder and not really rated for the forces it puts out. I did some digging and got some black powder rounds (also got the stuff to reload them myself so sourcing them isn't an issue), and golly it's like shooting fireworks! Something about plinking those little lead rounds down range with the smoke and sparks crawling through the air, while also being able to reload easily (unlike other older black powder guns), is just fun.

A old school Sharps .45-110 Was actually a real fun gun to shoot, they have some crazy sights packages you can buy, the adjustable double trigger set thing was interesting.

That 45-110 isn't much fun for folks after maybe the 6 or 7 shot . I've had folks say as their passing me back the rifle after one shot , " thanks I'm good ". All 3 of my 45-70's have steel butt plates , I don't even shoot mine a lot maybe 5-10 rounds just to keep thins in line . Maybe one of these days I'll get one that was made in a more current century . I remember being at a gun show one time & there was a guy that had a 45-70 barrel on a contender , had a hand made sign next to it that said , " Hey look 45-70 , & yes it does " . My 30-30 barrel is fine with me .
animal

That 45-110 isn't much fun for folks after maybe the 6 or 7 shot . I've had folks say as their passing me back the rifle after one shot , " thanks I'm good ". All 3 of my 45-70's have steel butt plates , I don't even shoot mine a lot maybe 5-10 rounds just to keep thins in line . Maybe one of these days I'll get one that was made in a more current century . I remember being at a gun show one time & there was a guy that had a 45-70 barrel on a contender , had a hand made sign next to it that said , " Hey look 45-70 , & yes it does " . My 30-30 barrel is fine with me .
animal
Haha, It was fun too shot, but yeah, I have to agree, like try'n to stop a tank, steel butt plates.
I actually only shot it a few times, after the first one I shoved my outer jacket inside the shoulder of my other jacket :D
And other's who shot, exactly as you said, one shot and "thanks I'm good" exact words:D

Heres a interesting tube on the 45-70 . The 45-70 case seems a bottomless case when yer reloading them . Then there's the 45-90 & 45-110 .
Is anyone making a revolver with that round ?
animal

Thats a pretty impressive weapon ! That unit is 1-2 Lb heavier than my contender . I'm good .There's something about the look of a stainless arm . if I was to get a new 45-70 it would be that stainless Marlin , I have a bud with the blued model & it's a really nice unit . I have lever action 45-70 , late 1800's with a nice & long octagon barrel . I can shoot it fine & fairly accurate off a bench , but freehand it's just getting too heavy for me .

thanks
animal

A buddy of mine has a Stacatto P that was pretty eye opening to shoot. Then this last weekend my brother let me shoot his Stacatto C2 I believe and jesus now I'm starting to save for one. May get the new C when it comes out.

c.PNG

My old boss had a 44 Mag 2" barrel . When he was showing it to me & asked " what is it good for " & after looking at it for a bit he replied " starting grass fires ? " . When I got my Contender it came with a 44Mag barrel among others . I never fired the 44 I ended up trading it for 2 22 rifles . It was a fair deal for both of us .
animal

It cycles ok. def doesn't like SV ammo. CCI minimag and CCI AR15 work well.

Yea been thinking about a MkIV or Buckmark (or better yet a High Standard).

They do a combined 22LR pistol and rifle match at the local gun club that would require a more accurate pistol then the P22.

I tried a MkIV at the local range, and was quite accurate with it. At best I'm an average shooter when it comes to accuracy and technique.

So did the DROS paperwork yesterday at a local gunstore for a Browning BuckMark Camper UFX 22LR pistol. It'll be 10 days before I get to pick it up. $399 ok price.

I tried a Ruger MKIV rental at the local range a while and liked it. Browning is a an equivalent firearm. So will try the local combined pistol/rifle competitions, something I couldn't contemplate with the Walther P22.

With a red dot sight should be a nice combo.

I have been itching to get up to the club range and try out my 1958 vintage High Standard model 102, otherwise my boringly accurate SIG 228 or my ... (I am more of a rifle guy)

Back