What's new
What's new

drill press rocker switches

FVP92

Plastic
I'm looking to replace theses 2 switches for 1984 Mark1 drill press. 3/4 hp Phase 1. One switch is for the light and the other is drill press on/off. I would also like the new switches to be an improvement on the way that wires connect to the switches. I would appreciate any information. Thank you.20240322_074740.jpg

Attachments

• 20240322_074434.jpg
    20240322_074434.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Those are extremely simple SPST switches, the diagram on the back shows how they work. The mounting frame, wiring style and characters on the back all scream 1980's 'Japan' to me, but could be Chinese, I don't recognize the brand or logo.

The connector is used for solid core wire or a ferrule crimped on braided and is still the standard way to do house wiring over here. Screw termination is uncommon. To free (or bind) the switches from the frame, you put a flat head screwdriver in the slots at the end of that little horseshoe cut out and twist, it works remarkably well and I wish they still did it that way.

Thank you for your reply, it is very helpful. Now my question is when looking for a replacement, am I looking for a switch with 4 connection points? Each original switch had 3 wires attached when I took them out. The drill press was manufactured in Taiwan in 1984 so you were pretty close.

when looking for a replacement, am I looking for a switch with 4 connection points? Each original switch had 3 wires attached when I took them out.
Not necessarily. The switch itself only has two contacts. As a convenience, your existing switches are offering two connection points per contact. If you find a switch with only one connection point per contact, just run a short wire from the switch and use a wire nut (or your preferred way to connect multiple wires) to join the other end of the short wire with the two wires originally connected to the same contact on the switch.

Not necessarily. The switch itself only has two contacts. As a convenience, your existing switches are offering two connection points per contact. If you find a switch with only one connection point per contact, just run a short wire from the switch and use a wire nut (or your preferred way to connect multiple wires) to join the other end of the short wire with the two wires originally connected to the same contact on the switch.
Thank you for your reply as well, that may solve some of my problems. Here is a drawing of how the drill press was wired (it is a recent auction purchase so I know nothing about it). Does the included sketch look like the wiring is correct? 20240328_080541.jpg

They are using the bridged pair of inputs and outputs to replace wire nuts (or other means of joining the two wires.) You will likely need to make slight changes to add 3 way splices when you change to switches without those double connections, and I hesitate to encourage someone without the proper knowledge and training to mess with mains wiring. Doubling up wires on a single connector is against code here in Japan, I'd avoid it. Better to buy a pack of Wago 221 splicing connectors and keep everything clean and tidy. But the layout above looks like a perfectly viable design to me.

That is one of the world's cheapest throwaway drill presses sold in box stores made in China at the absolute nadir of their quality. I strongly suggest you find a better machine to work on.

They are using the bridged pair of inputs and outputs to replace wire nuts (or other means of joining the two wires.) You will likely need to make slight changes to add 3 way splices when you change to switches without those double connections, and I hesitate to encourage someone without the proper knowledge and training to mess with mains wiring. Doubling up wires on a single connector is against code here in Japan, I'd avoid it. Better to buy a pack of Wago 221 splicing connectors and keep everything clean and tidy. But the layout above looks like a perfectly viable design to me.
Thank you for the good information, I've got enough understanding now to work at replacing the switches (the switch on the light failed).

That is one of the world's cheapest throwaway drill presses sold in box stores made in China at the absolute nadir of their quality. I strongly suggest you find a better machine to work on.
I've heard mixed reports on the quality of these. I've found it to be pretty good especially compared to newer bench drill presses priced under $500. What has been your experience with them?

Back