What's new
What's new

18" and 24" dial caliper brands

No mention here of vernier calipers but this is a decent option. For larger calipers that get used infrequently I’ve bought used vernier calipers off ebay. They’re pretty much guaranteed to be trouble free forever. Tumico calipers are pretty decent and not targets for collectors.
That is a really good point about Vernier calipers for seldom used tools. You can keep them in the box until needed and then count on their functioning exactly as they did when you put them away. No bad batteries. No broken dials.

All you really need is a magnifying glass to help read them. I picked that one up from a college professor who was almost as old then as I am now. He always had a high quality magnifier in his pocket. I carried one ever since and now have three in my pocket. "Hastings triplet" is the word.

Not that it’s a reason to get a new phone, but I did for the first time in about 4 years and discovered that the camera can now focus close enough that I can use it as a useful magnifier.

That is a really good point about Vernier calipers for seldom used tools. You can keep them in the box until needed and then count on their functioning exactly as they did when you put them away. No bad batteries. No broken dials.

All you really need is a magnifying glass to help read them. I picked that one up from a college professor who was almost as old then as I am now. He always had a high quality magnifier in his pocket. I carried one ever since and now have three in my pocket. "Hastings triplet" is the word.
Verniers are quite readable if you have the ones where the scale is 50 thou. The ones with the 25thou scales need a damn loupe to read.

I have had a set of Mitutoyo 24" digital calipers for 10 years, and only replaced the batteries twice. The battery indicator was on for a year before I replaced the battery. They are easy to read, don't mind the dust and don't get grit in the rack. I would recommend them. I love my dial calipers, but they just don't put up with a dirty environment as well as my digitals.
Regards
Scott.

Verniers are quite readable if you have the ones where the scale is 50 thou. The ones with the 25thou scales need a damn loupe to read.
Indeed so. I have the full set of Moore & Wright ones so graduated. 6" to 24". One thing I dislike is that he internal jaws don't cross so there is an inherent offset. Some metal maths is needed for internal work. Fine for imperial but awkward number on metric.

That said my go to calipers for general use are pair of Mitutoyo 8" dials in imperial and metric. Covers a decent portion of what I do. Ordinary 6" calipers I find just too short as I seem to do quite a lot between 6" and 8" so there is the hassle of changing plus the extra length of a 12" to cope with.

Micrometers for precise stuff up to 12" and 300 mm.

Clive

Last edited:
I am not a fan of digi measuring equipment for the most part.
As example, I posted a pic the other day of 4 non-working 1" mics.
3 of which I bought new, and I typically only use them for really close work, not for general work - normally...

But when I needed to buy a 24" caliper, I guess I don't recall the reasoning, but I ended up with a Fowler digital, and the more that I used it, the more it impressed me. Much of the time that I used it - it was very tight work. (bearing bores and such) I would qualify the caliper prior with a mic standard in the range I am using it in. And then also compare with a mechanical mic as well.

I have seen them be maybe .002-.003 off at some point, but I wouldn't expect a dial to be any better 20" from the zero point... But many times they would actually be spot on.

After 15 years, they finally up and died one day. I looked around to see what my options were now-days. I don't recall what the quote on new came in at, but it seems like it was 4 digits for a Mit or Starrett?

I was about to break down and order one, but then I decided to see what I could find used on ebay. Lots of no-name new stuff for cheap, but ... I just don't know that I'm that brave.... But I found a clean, used, one owner Fowler for cheap. It is obviously a newer model than my old one, but it certainly hadn't been used much - if at all, for $225 !!!

The wood case that it came in is plain junk, so I am using the case from the old one.

As for features:

A) I hate the fact that they moved the ON button to where I pretty much can't reach with my thumb, like my old one...
But I can git over that...

B) One thing mentioned above was the "too many digits - hard to read", this one is only 3 place decimal, with a smaller/offset 5/10's column. This is plenty of resolution for any caliper, let alone a 24". I think the old one had an actual 4 place decimal, but I think the 5/10's may be better. ???

C) Also mentioned above, I s'pose if you were using it constantly, and it goes dark 3 seconds before you pick it up - constantly - that could be frustrating, But for a 24" - my old one would stay "up" 'till the batt died. This one goes dark by it'self - pretty quickly, and I feel better knowing that. This one actually needs turned back on, but most of the 1" mics that I had would turn the display back on with any movement of the barrel. 6" calipers not that way?

So far I feel that this Fowler 24" digi is a very good unit, as was the one that I had prior.

-------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Back