What's new
What's new

6k vs 10k spindle on haas tm2p

Whetstone

Cast Iron
Im totally new to cnc, and am coming from Bridgeports, so please excuse the ignorance. Ive narrowed down machine choice to a tm2p mostly because of getting it into my shop and it has the 40" x. We machine long thin parts in both 304 stainless and 385 brass. Because of current 40 week leadtimes I have to buy used. I was planning on getting the standard 6000rpm spindle as it has more torque than the 10k and would probably be better at the lower sfp needed for stainless. There are no decent used machines for sale with the 6k spindle but a few with the 10k. Will i be giving up a lot when I need to drill/tap and profile stainless with the 10k spindle? Id say there is a 70/30 split between stainless and brass going through the shop these days.

this machine will probable be temporary as a larger machine with 120" x is more of what I actually need, once I buy that id replace the tm2p with a fv-2

Ask Haas for copies of the torque curves for the two spindles, then compare to needed torque for the taps and endmills you want to use. If smaller taps (under 1/2") and the sections aren't thick, then the higher speed spindle is likely OK.

You need to bee more specific of your requirement.

What size cutters and sfm are really gonna matter when looking at the limited torque curve. Especially a 10,000rpm

What size/types of drills? What production/speed requirements (it can push a 1” but maybe only at .001” per rev?

I had a 6000rpm version. It would push a 1/2nc spiral flute emuge tap through prehard 4140. That was the limit. I would not do that in 316ss tho.
Torque was was best around 1500rpm
This cut was 100-% spindle load
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/LNTWk8Oi1kA

I would assume a vf has a beefer spindle than a tool room machine but one of my vf4’s has the 10k spindle. Machine stainless all the time without issue. We tap up to 1/2-13 and thread mill after that. Like using 2” facemills and 1/2” endmills for most of my cutting.

I would assume a vf has a beefer spindle than a tool room machine but one of my vf4’s has the 10k spindle. Machine stainless all the time without issue. We tap up to 1/2-13 and thread mill after that. Like using 2” facemills and 1/2” endmills for most of my cutting.

ya a vf is going to have a 20-30 Haas power motor and heavier spindle pack. the TM will have like a 7-8 HP motor. our Vf6-50 has the 2 speed 7500rpm belt drive and its 30hp is actually around 22-25hp continuous.

As for an answer to Whetstone. if im not mistaken the 10K in a TM is 230V 3 phase only (cant remember if if they put a 15K in one, if so i know the 15k is 230V 3 phase only), and the 6K is 230V single or three phase, so if you are going to sell it down the road for a bigger machine having a machine that runs both phases will give you a bigger market to sell to, aka the avg small guys that don't have 3phase or a converter. This is one reason they hold there value and are very desirable for small shops. As long as they haven't been abused of course.

If the TM mills are like the TL lathe we got in our shop there won't be any difference. The difference between the 1800rpm TL lathe and the 3000rpm lathe is the code to unlock the the rpm cap. I wish I could sell the code back to Haas or trade it in to unlock something more useful, but the boss wanted what the boss wanted. And 6 months late he retired and left us with his bag of shit. :mad5:

I had an old tm with a 6k spindle, ran mostly stainless. Assume that you will be using mostly 3/8" em's and thread milling rather than tapping. That would be my recommendation with the 6k spindle, good luck with the 10k. That being said I loved that little mill.

If the TM mills are like the TL lathe we got in our shop there won't be any difference. The difference between the 1800rpm TL lathe and the 3000rpm lathe is the code to unlock the the rpm cap. I wish I could sell the code back to Haas or trade it in to unlock something more useful, but the boss wanted what the boss wanted. And 6 months late he retired and left us with his bag of shit. :mad5:

Yes on the 4K rpm tm spindle to get 6K rpm you just have haas give you unlock code and change the cap, the TM-P has 6K rpm as a standard. to get 10K rpm its a completely different spindle pack, it goes fron a air/oil lube bearing to a grease packed spindle.

Also ran a 3K rpm TL1 in tech school, i loved that little thing. Had a dorian thru cool quick change holder, bison chuck. we mostly ran aluminum around 1.5-2" in diameter so the 3K was nice to have, sounded cool ramping up on variable Surface speed. made a lot of steel stick shifters for the auto class across the hallway, and made an aluminum chess set as a personal project. We never ran anything heavy on it.

TM is not going to mill engine blocks, but you may need to drill holes fast.
Or how fast can you burr the edge of a part with a countersink at 10k vs 6k[hint 40 percent faster]
All those inches add up

Back