What's new
What's new

AirCraft Aluminum?

beege

Stainless
Sometimes I get a drawing/print for a part that says "aircraft aluminum". How many different types of aluminum go into aircraft? I know 6061 of some temper is used (T6?)

Sometimes I get a drawing/print for a part that says "aircraft aluminum". How many different types of aluminum go into aircraft? I know 6061 of some temper is used (T6?)
2024 to whatever heat treat was common years ago. There were also casting alloys.

ANSI H35.2 tolerances for sheet and plate calls 2014, 2024, 2124, 2219, 2324, 2419, 7050, 7075, 7150, 7178 and 7475 aerospace alloys.

You didn't say what the product is. Are you welding it? The only requirements given:
  • Aluminum
  • Used on aircraft
After that, the choice seems to be yours.

It's not used on aircraft. It's an internal part that I was told that we usually make from 6061. I'd go educate an engineer, but that's either impossible, or in this case, he's long since retired.

Send those back with a "Inadequate Information" and a NO QUOTE. :-)
...lewie...

All you have to do is ask the customer to be more specific about the material req'd.

I don't know about you, if I have to jump the odd hurdle to get more information, I will. All it takes is an e-mail, a text, or a call.

There may be many reasons to no-quote, but to no no-quote 'cos your not sure about the material is childish. The next guy getting the print isn't going to be so stupid

I've mostly worked with stainlesses. Again, here, I see prints asking for stainless without specifying which one. Most of the time, they mean 304, but criminy, be specific!

Anyone who says "aircraft aluminum" probably doesn't know what they want. Similarly though: about five years ago, I was designing some parts and what I needed was "aluminum". What kind didn't really matter.

My employer had/has a long history of being one of those places that calls out the material down to the shape and size of the raw material, ASTM spec, blah, blah. The note I put on the drawing read something like this:

Commercially sourced, domestic wrought aluminum alloy specified as 2xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx series aluminum, in the heat treated condition T4 or above (T6, T651, etc.). No certifications required.

I got a minor bit of push back during design review. The shop kicked the package back because they refused to make the material call. I literally walked out and told them: "Do you have a piece of material on the rack? On the ground next to the bandsaw? Whatever, that's fine. We just need it made."

Sometimes it's just a piece of metal: a spacer, an installation tool, an alignment jig, etc. In this case they were support blocks and screw jack pads for alignment and installation of a piece of equipment. Yes, it was sculpted all pretty, with pockets all over it, a couple of female acme holes but, the material wasn't critical in any way. It just needed to spread out a load over some existing wiring and plumbing and any aluminum at all was plenty strong enough.

Has anyone seen an industry accepted call-out to accomplish this on a drawing?

Aerospace grade or aircraft grade is a phrase much loved by the tacticool mall ninjas. I normally tell them 6061 was what they used to make the ashtrays with before smoking on aircraft was banned.
The best material spec I have heard of was AOS. When the supplier queried it and said he had never heard of the standard the engineer told him it means any old shit.

I once bought bundles of 6061/T6 tube that was used in hang glider construction.....from the widow of the manufacturer........they were all rolled into a egg shape section .....supposedly patented ..........anyhoo,the gubmint just posted a requirement for safety rails for house roof work,and suggested "aircraft grade aluminium " for the rails.....excellent !

Back