What's new
What's new

Any value in huge air tank and compressor?

huleo

Hot Rolled
We are clearing some space in a new facility and I guess it is hard to throw stuff to the scrap yard. On the menu to day is about a 1500gal, 300psi volume tank with at least a 4" outlet, several other ports, and set vertically on legs. She stands about 12ft tall and 5ft diam. We estimate the weight at 8-10k. there is a data plate on it but hard to read. Not going to put any effort into that unless there is value.

Other item is a massive and very old multi stage compressor. Can't recall HP, but probably 100HP. I think when we looked, it was from the early 1900s. I realize no one may have interest as a functional compressor, but possibly as a really cool piece of history! It sits on a huge chunk of poured concrete.

A museum donation can be used as a tax writeoff.
I don't suppose your local high school team is called the compressors. My high school rivals were "the oilers". named after Standard oil refinery in their town.
Bill D

I used to buy every large air tank I could find ..........they are basically a length of large dia steel pipe that would cost a fortune to buy as pipe ............there is a big demand for short pieces of pipe for everything from formwork to temporary culverts.

With big air receivers they need inspecting, there should be an access hole with a tie clamp so you can get inside, tanks in work got inspected by Lloyds and a tag put on for next inspection ( if they passed it) or we had to replace if corrosion was excessive.
I’m guessing this receiver hasn’t been inspected so it’s scrap really unless you get it checked , they may even hydraulic test it, all the tests were expensive obviously.
Mark

Cut the ends off and sell it as pipe ..........the price of large dia steel pipe ,over 6ft ,is astronomical.............I had a boring and piling contractor that would buy any large pipe I could find for them..............quite often on a job ,they would have to get a fab shop to roll them some large pipe ......imagine what that costs .

Cut the ends off and sell it as pipe ..........the price of large dia steel pipe ,over 6ft ,is astronomical.............I had a boring and piling contractor that would buy any large pipe I could find for them..............quite often on a job ,they would have to get a fab shop to roll them some large pipe ......imagine what that costs .
As not being in the USA, I am wondering if there is any potential in the US and at what length is considered usable. There are several fittings welded on the tank for various connection potential. That would limit how much of a seamless section there could be. Might be a couple 4ft lengths we could get out of it.

It has a little rust but mostly is pretty nice shape! But I guess as being a 300psi air tank, you would want that to stay in pretty good shape! lol

Cutting the ends off seems like a terrible waste of an otherwise good pressure tank. If you're interested, a hydrostatic pressure test is a simple and safe way to see of it's still good for pressure. Fill it with water almost to the top, but not all the way, then fill it the rest of the way with compressed air, all the way to its rated pressure. If it fails even catastrophically, then the floor gets wet.

Is there industrial service company nearby? something like https://hallservices.com/ ? They are resellers of large industrial equipment like this. Hall even has some antique stuff like steam tractors and such, I'm sure they'd be interested. (never done business with them)

if it's practical to store these items until you find an interested buyer, then that's the move. There are plenty of poeple/companies out there that aren't too good for used/antique equipment; a compressor is a compressor, after all. By the scale of it, these things would likely cost a fortune new. They would probably be willing to pay for shipping/moving, since the price of the equipment/transportation would be well under the price for new. And they can take care of the inspection/certification themselves, which I'm sure they'd be willing because again, after the combined costs, they would still save money. Maybe that's just me.

I would also like to see pictures of the tank and compressor; for research, of course :)

. . .Fill it with water almost to the top, but not all the way, then fill it the rest of the way with compressed air, all the way to its rated pressure. . .
Haven't seen that done. All the pro jobs I've watched and the few I've done myself were 100% liquid filled. Also, that's just part of a good test. To be complete you have to be able to measure stretch and permanent deformation.

Another great use for a heavy tank that isn't good enough to remain in its intended use is as a storage container. Above or below ground, heavy wall tanks work great for that purpose. My grandpa made an underground chicken coop out of an old filling station fuel tank.

We had a 1500 gallon propane tank converted into a large parts washing station for years back when we did auto repair.

I'm still waiting for a pic of the compressor.
That would be interesting. I used to get an occasional air-start (commercial jet) from a WWII era compressor and tank combo in Montana, Butte, IIRC. That tank was also a biggie and pressurized to several hundred PSI. One day I decided to check the drain on the tank. The valve was super stiff and when I got it open it dumped at least 20 gal of water onto the ramp. I doubt that system had been checked or drained for a very long time.

The sandblasters had a really big old 3 cyl BroomWade in one of the sheds .........the boss claimed it was near new .......anyhoo,I pulled one of the inspection covers off the crankcase ,and there was a foot of water inside ,and bulk rust ...........So the boss decided to scrap it,and I loaded it up and took it over to the scrap yard about 1/2 mile away ...........over the weighbridge ,and it was only 3 ton odd...........so I got cash as directed ,but got the yard to make out a delivery docket with the company name and ABN on it........The boss was really pissed as he wanted to pocket the cash ,no records ...... I was covering my ass ,very important when you work for a con artist.

Cut off one end and make a big bell. Folks would pay money to shot a rifle at it and to make it ring. If that doesn't work out turn it upside down and make a dunk tank with a window.
Bill D
picture is the Czar Bell to give you ideas.

Attachments

• bell.jpeg
    bell.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1
I have seen a big pressure tank made into a tool store with a sliding curved door ,and a rotary shelving system inside ......its also mounted to a thick concrete base to make the lot weight several tons ,to discourage thieves .

Back