What's new
What's new

AutoCAD Inventor + CAM VS Solid Works + Mastercam

I've only used HSMWorks for mill programming, but a quick search did show that HSMWorks supports turning with live tooling. Here is a video:

The most frustrating thing about HSMWorks for me are as follows:

1.) It only gets lead-ins/lead-outs right automatically about 50% of the time. Seems to be worst with small holes and pockets, or anywhere you are trying to use the largest tool possible in a relatively tight area.
2.) Its "stock" and "model" selection could be more intuitive. Again, about 50% of the time it works as I think it should, but the rest of the time I'm having to apply tricks like selecting what I want to cut as "stock" and what I want to avoid as "model". I often find myself making supplemental sketches to define areas to be machined, which is annoying. I had similar problems in CamWorks though, but in CamWorks it was sketching up "no-go" zones. Either way, I usually end up with a bunch of extra sketches just to support the CAM operations.
3.) HSMWorks only takes the "Entry Position" parameter as a suggestion, and in my experience, the specified entry position is ignored every time. This is a big annoyance because if it worked right it would save me a lot of time, but it doesn't, so you have to work around it with more sketches.
4.) Lack of support from Autodesk. There is fear in the community that Autodesk is going to let HSMWorks for SolidWorks die. It honestly feels like it is on life support now. They just do the bare minimum to keep selling it, but don't seem to be investing any resources into fixing bugs or adding new features.

These problems are way easier for me to deal with than CamWorks TechDB and archaic post processor. Adding new tools to HSMWorks, duplicating tools, pulling tools from other libraries, etc., all of that is a breeze with HSMWorks. It isn't completely bug free, for instance, in certain conditions a changed setting will not get applied to a tool, and the only way I've found to get around that is to duplicate the tool, change the setting in the duplicated version, the delete the original. This is rare, but is still something I've run into. The post processors in HSMWorks are written in JavaScript, and are cleanly laid out. Much easier to navigate than the CamWorks "Universal Post Generator". I barely had to make any changes to the HSMWorks post processor for my Haas VF-2, and most of those were preference type things.

You can use CAMWorks without ever utilizing the TechDB.

Being able to edit your own posts is great, I used to do my own in CAMWorks but IMO it is worth the cost to pay for a “custom” post and let them maintain and edit as needed. I have a few CAMWorks posts, and they are perfect. Only edits I have done are on occasion when I come across something I just simply haven’t done, and I want the code to do something else, I just send in a request and have an updated post in a couple hours.

As far as the no go zones and needing to create sketches in CAMWorks, I would say is just lack of experience.

Creating, importing, duplicating tools in CAMWorks is incredibly easy, I don’t think it could get an easier. Maybe you are referring to the old TechDB, cause that was a pain and terrible, but it was overhauled a while back and is a lot better, very user friendly. CAMWorks also supports Harvey and Helical’s database, you can search their tool ID # and import as needed directly. Or if you download a tool or holder file there’s a quick save as MT or MH and it’s pretty simple to add to the database from there. I have found one particular holder brand that the origin placement imports incorrect and has bad geometry (spline segments) that just doesn’t convert right.

Don't take this the wrong way but :

You've listed exzactly 5 reasons why one should stay away from HSMWorks.
Exactly what I was thinking!

You can use CAMWorks without ever utilizing the TechDB.

Being able to edit your own posts is great, I used to do my own in CAMWorks but IMO it is worth the cost to pay for a “custom” post and let them maintain and edit as needed. I have a few CAMWorks posts, and they are perfect. Only edits I have done are on occasion when I come across something I just simply haven’t done, and I want the code to do something else, I just send in a request and have an updated post in a couple hours.

As far as the no go zones and needing to create sketches in CAMWorks, I would say is just lack of experience.

Creating, importing, duplicating tools in CAMWorks is incredibly easy, I don’t think it could get an easier. Maybe you are referring to the old TechDB, cause that was a pain and terrible, but it was overhauled a while back and is a lot better, very user friendly. CAMWorks also supports Harvey and Helical’s database, you can search their tool ID # and import as needed directly. Or if you download a tool or holder file there’s a quick save as MT or MH and it’s pretty simple to add to the database from there. I have found one particular holder brand that the origin placement imports incorrect and has bad geometry (spline segments) that just doesn’t convert right.

Exactly what I was thinking!
The new TechDB is for sure better than the MS Access database they used to have, but it is still a pain IMO. The last version of it I used had what was obviously a memory leak, and could only run for maybe 10 -15 minutes before becoming unresponsive and needing to be restarted. I actually liked the ability to create no-go zones in CAMWorks and wish that HSMWorks had that feature. If you know a better way to avoid a fixture or a feature than sketching a no-go zone in CAMWorks (or the inverse for HSMWorks), I'd love to hear about it.

Not sure why you all are hung-up on me listing some of HSMWorks flaws 🤷‍♂️

As I said, just giving the OP my honest experiences. I'm not making a commission if they buy HSMWorks.

i bought s seats of powermill , and i thought it was pretty good,,,its changed since the last 2018 version we ran,,,,but not bad,,,,

The new TechDB is for sure better than the MS Access database they used to have, but it is still a pain IMO. The last version of it I used had what was obviously a memory leak, and could only run for maybe 10 -15 minutes before becoming unresponsive and needing to be restarted. I actually liked the ability to create no-go zones in CAMWorks and wish that HSMWorks had that feature. If you know a better way to avoid a fixture or a feature than sketching a no-go zone in CAMWorks (or the inverse for HSMWorks), I'd love to hear about it.

As I said, just giving the OP my honest experiences. I'm not making a commission if they buy HSMWorks.
You listed a couple of HSMWorks flaws that are tool path creation flaws, limitations and in comparison you stated “These problems are way easier for me to deal with than CamWorks TechDB and archaic post processor.” Which are two things in CAMWorks you can avoid all together.

I have many operations where controlling my lead in/out was important and if I wasn’t able to trust my CAM, I wouldn’t have been able to cut the feature and same goes with entry position, if I can’t control where I drop a tool in some pocket features I may gouge other surfaces, that’s a pain.

As far as avoiding fixtures in CAMWorks, I’m assuming if you are bringing fixtures or vises in, you are programming in assembly mode. In your MillPart Set up tab there is a fixtures tab, you would select your fixtures or buses or whatever it may be and check the avoid fixtures box.

As far as why you are needing to create sketches for avoid areas, I’d have to see the part and operations for an example, I’m not saying I’ve never used a sketch for an avoid or contain area as a last resort but there are plenty of other ways to avoid areas depending on what you are doing. I said I would put that as inexperience on your part, because 10 years ago I would say I was inexperienced and would create a bunch of sketches and in some cases it was annoying but at that time it’s the only way I knew but over the years I’ve learned or gained experience/found simpler and more efficient ways.

Like any software, especially CAM, there’s multiple ways to do things and you are constantly learning tips and tricks.

Last edited:
I use HSMworks almost exclusively for milling. It’s very powerful for what it does but it does have it limitations. The lathe package is garbage and clunky as hell. Ive owned a license of HSM since before the Autodesk purchase and certainly wish it remained on the trajectory it was on, but it’s still very capable, especially for the price. Oh, BTW, Solidworks CAM is garbage. stay away from that

Here you go, like I said above it really depends on the operation and what you are trying to avoid.

You have a basic Avoid Area, where you can of course select sketches, but you can also select surfaces, multiple surfaces, etc.

Fixture avoidance is self explanatory, within your MillPart Setup you can select your fixtures, vises, etc, avoid all or select individual ones to avoid, whatever works.

The Gouge Checking tab is available in Multiaxis Operations, its essentially an avoid surfaces/areas, you can create sketches if needed but a lot of the times by selecting surfaces and utilizing the Gouge Check Strategy works great if you know what you are doing and there is no need for sketches. It allows for multiple Groups so you can create multiple areas with different strategies.

Then in other operations there is Geometry tab which allows you to have avoidance control.

It all depends what operation you are running and how you want to avoid whatever it is you are trying to avoid.

Rest machining tab works as well if you are just trying to avoid cutting air from previous operation stock removal, using WIP selections or STL files from previous operations.

Attachments

• Avoid Area.jpg
    Avoid Area.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Fixtures.jpg
    Fixtures.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Gouge.jpg
    Gouge.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Operation Avoid.jpg
    Operation Avoid.jpg