What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe One 7.7.5 X Amplitude Error

HoleshotKFX400

Plastic
Has anyone ever had a TR_FG116 , X Amplitude Error alarm on their CMM? I can start machine and it will home in Z, then Y, then start moving in X and alarm out. I have cleaned the glass scales & still nothing. I am told that it could be a possible bad encoder, what is the process of replacing one of these? I have one quote from Hexagon for 30k to fix this problem with them wanted me to sign my life away on 25k worth of parts and they will "use what they need" The other quote is from CMMXYZ @ $7500 no parts included flying them in from Canada. Is there someone near Pennsylvania that would come out and diagnose this problem that is not a million dollars to walk in the door.

Thanks!

We got same type of CMM. Had similar issue once but in the manual mode when if you went in X to the machine limits it would alarm out. Cleaned the scales off with some alcohol, restarted it & it worked fine. If this happens in DCC mode (homing is done with DCC) then its either the encoder, counterbalancer or the controller receiving bad info from the software about the probe head position relative to XYZ zeros. Call to Hexagon service in this case or someone like XYZ is in order unless you're good in electronics. See if this link opens up: https://nexus.hexagon.com/community...ms/128835/b-s-excel-amplitude-error-on-z-axis
Hardware repairs like these are always pricey. CMMs are complicated expensive pieces of equipment not everyday throwaway items like washing machines or vacuum cleaners. Often the management doesn't get that part & gets a reality check when something goes kaboom with them. These days too Hexagon upped their prices so much we basically said forget about them. We are looking into Mitutoyo, LK, Nikon, Wenzel, Renishaw, OGP for our future measuring solutions.

Swap the x encoder with the y encoder and see if the error moves axis

I had that cmm years ago and replaced encoders numerous times.

Back