What's new
What's new

Hardinge CHNC II/Fanuc 10TF Control - E-Stop Reset Issue & 'SV008' - X Excess Error (Stop) Alarm

TravisDeason

Plastic
Hello all.

I purchased a Hardinge CHNC II from a local auction about a year ago, got it set and wired up and it powered up and ran fine aside from the E-Stop Reset button not working.

Upon first starting the machine, I am having trouble getting the E-Stop Reset switch to function. It lights up and blinks. After a combination of resetting the 2 E-Stop buttons, pushing buttons and moving around on the screen, and pushing the E-Stop reset button a bunch of times, it will finally function.

I have pulled the E-Stop button switches from the panels and cleaned and checked them and they are working fine. I also checked the contacts from the E-stop reset button to the circuit board and they seem fine.

I also checked the door open switch, the air valve circuit and the lube circuit. All fine.

Anybody else experience this issue?

This machine has sat for about a year without being touched since my first time powering up the machine.

This past weekend I fired it up, and I keep getting this alarm message: 'SV008' - X Excess Error (Stop) Alarm

When I reset the alarm, the X-axis will 'jump' a touch (as viewed front of the machine with the front X-axis ball screw cover off), and then the machine alarms out, repeatedly.

After some investigating (removing covers, etc...) I noticed when jogging the x-axis, it stutters, and I believe this is what is tripping the alarm, maybe something mechanical?

I have topped all of the oil reservoirs off, removed the bellows on the back of the cross slide, and the ballscrew is shiny and oily from what I can tell.

When moving the x-axis on the forward side with an allen wrench in the end of the ballscrew shaft, I feel some resistance and what feels like 'steps', could be the cog belt.

I am a little gun shy about pulling the servo/belt to see if the isolated ballscrew still hesitates.

I'm not sure what could've changed in the past year this machine has sat.

I have researched this website and other forums and have found myself stumped.

Has anyone had this issue before? Any ideas?

I am more than happy to let a professional look into these issues. Any recommendations for machine tool repair in the Kansas City area?

Thanks in advance.

Travis Deason

it sounds like a belt or encoder issue. I have had similar problem with mine I'm just not remembering what is was .Bob Mann at Hardinge 607-378-4207 is the guy to talk to if you can get him. The rest of the techs are too new to know anything.
Pete

Following, I'm having the same alarm on a similar machine.
Hello Casey25.

Following up on this post. I'm not sure what issue you are having but here is how I remedied mine:

-E-Stop Reset was the actual e-stop reset button itself. Found a replacement switch, and that corrected the issue.

-'SV008' - X Excess Error (Stop) Alarm:

I spent a number of hours trying to diagnose this issue. My machine was updated to brushless servos and servo amplifiers. I found that one of the amplifiers was causing this alarm. I swapped the X-Axis and Z-Axis harnesses between amplifiers, and ended up getting the same alarm, but for the Z-Axis. I removed the amplifier, and sent to Berg Controls for inspection and repair. He found and repaired an issue with the amplifier. I actually just got it back and installed early this morning, and I am no longer getting the alarm.

Hope this helps!

Travis Deason

Pictures of my amplifier that was causing issue.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg