What's new
What's new

Buying a Myford MG12 via ebay. What should I ask the seller?

rhb

Aluminum
I've never even been in the same room with a cylindrical grinder. The MG12 looks to be an appropriate size for my purposes. Unfortunately, the machine in question is 2000 miles away. So first hand inspection is not very practical.

A search on PM showed that Millacron sold one a few years ago. That and all the other posts (I did not read all 8 pages) make clear it's a well respected machine.

What questions should I ask the seller?

Thanks,
Reg

If you have an iPhone, maybe a "video conference" to hear/see machine working, and also get a sense of who the seller is.
Disclaimer: Yes I do have an iPhone, and I love it !
Bob

I've got an iPad. The larger problem is knowing what questions to ask. Lathes and mills I'm reasonably familiar with. Grinders are a whole other kettle of fish. After the bare basics I'm lost.

The MG12 is 5" x 12" with 3" over the cross slide, though I'm not sure what the latter means with a grinder. But it's big enough for anything I'm likely to do.

What I don't need is another project. I've already got far too many.

Reg

Possibly badly worn slideways ........Im not familiar with the Myford,but I have seen them ...........by the time you pay for that much freight you will have a considerable investment in a machine that you havent even inspected............You might also consider that as grinders go ,its a tiddler,and chatter and vibration may be a problem with a light machine..............this is the general fail for most attempts to use a T&C grinder as a universal grinder.

Perhaps wait and find a running one at an auction. Don’t buy a cheap Myford, there are better ones out there. The really cheap machines will not grind to the tolerances you want.

A small Cincinnatti universal about 10x20 will weigh 4 tons ........some machines for grinding tiny pieces weigh twice that .........you cant get precision without cast iron............and you wont get precision from a converted tool and cutter grinder.

There are many of these for sale throughout USA, checkout machinio.com. I would strongly suggest you find one closer to you and check it out in person. Given that the main point of cylindrical grinding is uber precision, I would recommend you find what that you know is not worn out.

I'm in central Arkansas, so auctions are a fool's errand waste of gasoline.

Given my complete ignorance, paying a knowledgeable person to inspect one would be money well spent. But finding such a person is another problem.

I've spent about $25k buying electronics test gear via ebay and mailing lists with no issues. But shipping is cheaper and I know how to evaluate that stuff when it arrives.

I understand ways and bearings. What worries me is "is there something else specific to grinders?"

The seller says he can hold 2 tenths on a 1" x 12" bar. With the usual caveat that you need to know how. I'd expect a "machinist" to do that on a worn out machine. It's just slow. I'm not a "machinist". So much more dependent upon the accuracy of the machine.

”Myford “ grinders appear to have a really good reputation. They aren’t “ hobby shop “ machines like their lathes are. I’ve seen them knocking around in various tool rooms. I’ve never actually worked on one, normally it was “ Jones & Shipman “ or “ Churchill “, both of those makes are excellent.
Milacron has had one or two for sale in the past maybe you should contact him.
As far as I know they are no longer manufactured but somebody will probably have the rights to spare parts etc.

Edit - “ Jubilee machine tools “ in deepest Derbyshire in the UK advertise “ Myford “ machines for sale and appear to have plenty of knowledge regarding spares and service. I knew I dealt with somebody down there regarding grinding machines. They and “ Andmar “ are the two that came to mind.
How much are you planning to pay ? From what I recall they were a pretty expensive little machine.

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
There's one in Anderson, CA that the owner is asking $3500 for. That seems a bit cheap. He says he bought it for that and then spent that much having the electricals fixed. He says it will hold 2 tenths on a 1" x 12" bar and that the ways and bearings are in good shape.

It's a long way from me, so by the time it was shipped I'd be in for around $6k. The ideal thing would be for me to pay someone in CA to inspect it for me. Are there people who do that? If so how would I find someone?

Buying a grinder sight unseen or without actually testing it is a bit of a gamble. Generally one would like to grind a test piece on a cylindrical grinder so you can see what you've got in terms of straightness. Looking at pictures isn't going to help a whole lot unless you can get some images of the machine's ways and see if the scraping is still there, worn away in certain places, etc.

I'm thinking of asking the seller to grind a bar while I watch via Facetime and then ship me the bar for inspection at my cost.

I'm so far from the manufacturing centers in the US that finding a machine in good shape which is closer is likely a long wait.

Back