What's new
What's new

Cleaning Granite Surface Plates- what common chemicals/products are safe to use?

QT[They need some serious cleaning. Is Windex, rubbing alcohol, and/or ammonia safe for use on these?] I would say yes. Ammonia mixed with water will evarporate very quickly and so less harm to parts and gauges. To be fancy distilled water might be be better than tap or well water. Most any mild soap should be OK to good. Chemical sprays like WD and break cleaner will cut grease but are often a health hazard so not worth the using. Best practice is to not use a plate for any common storage because moving things about is what wears a plate. Good to place a plate so it might be turned /rotated so the very same area is not over used. Good to remember skin and lungs take harmfulls into your body, best avoid this when possible.

$10. a gallon
http://www.americastoolcrib.com/MSDS/NB75Z9406.pdf?PAHDID=000000204440528&PARDID=778635979061311

$32. a gallon (Starrett) safer
http://www.americastoolcrib.com/MSDS/NS6081823.pdf?PAHDID=000000204440528&PARDID=778635979061311

I keep mine pretty clean, and for all intents and purposes, Acetone alone time does the job well, and evaporates completely in seconds.

Is there any reason one couldn’t use something like TSP/kerosene to get the major crud off, use 70% isopropanol to remove water-only soluble residue, and a volitile solvent like acetone or MEK to dry thing out quickly?

What a school shop needs a surface plate for?????

Just to expose the students to the IDEA of using a precision flat.

For layout work.

Yes, as you said, for inspection.

For measurements that would be difficult without one.

For checking parts for flatness.

The list goes on and on.........

Just as McDonald's cashiers should be introduced to basic arithmetic, a school shop should introduce the students to all of the above and more. I can't imagine a school shop without one.

I find it interesting that a school shop that has a half dozen Starrett brand surface plates would have problems purchasing cleaning supplies. Import surface plates would work just as well as name brand ones in a school shop. Sell the Starretts, buy some imports, and buy some cleaning supplies. And inserts. You will probably have coffee money left over.

Just scrape the crud off with a razor edge and WD40 it. Not like it's going to take cans and cans of WD40 just to clean a few plates.

Make some wooden covers (melmine coated or arborite covered) so that then they can continue to be used as countertops :D

I really can't imagine what a school shop needs a surface plate for, unless they're into scribing layout lines on a piece and cutting and filing to the line. Something I have never, ever done, and I'm 64 and been machining for 40 years. I do have a plate, and use it for inspection purposes, but it would be a rare case where school students would be inspecting anything much.

What a school shop needs a surface plate for?????

Just to expose the students to the IDEA of using a precision flat.

For layout work.

Yes, as you said, for inspection.

For measurements that would be difficult without one.

For checking parts for flatness.

The list goes on and on.........

Just as McDonald's cashiers should be introduced to basic arithmetic, a school shop should introduce the students to all of the above and more. I can't imagine a school shop without one.

I find it interesting that a school shop that has a half dozen Starrett brand surface plates would have problems purchasing cleaning supplies. Import surface plates would work just as well as name brand ones in a school shop. Sell the Starretts, buy some imports, and buy some cleaning supplies. And inserts. You will probably have coffee money left over.

Many public agencies shy away from buying any product not made in the USA.

We made such things as hot air engines, science pendulums, V blocks, vises, angle plates, go carts, hammers and all sorts of things in High Schools Shop
I even made a one inch micrometer with also making the 40-TPI tap out of drill rod...and it worked.

Roughing the sleeve and frame as one part off-set in a 4-jaw . then finishing the same between centers on a 1436 Sheldon.

In my shop I have always used waterless hand cleaner followed by alcohol to take off the residue left by the hand cleaner. When the shine goes away, I feel I have it clean enough.

Back