What's new
What's new

Collecting deposit for work not done

A charming salesman or two coming to your shop doesn't confirm the existence of a company. Nor does a business card or a slick presentation. Scammers make their nut on assumptions.

If you can discover other "clients" give them a call. See how they fared. Something may come of it.
You first said it was "probably a dude in India" If you had actually read the posts before replying, you would never had spouted that nonsense.

I thought there was a fairly short window of time you could charge back on a credit card. What's the length of time that elapsed before you guys successfully got a return?
With some (maybe all?) cards, services are insured. That's how I got my money back. It's been 20 years so can't remember exactly but it was well over a year before we even contacted Mastercard. They were great! The cruise line was bankrupt and incognito. Mastercard ate the refund, probably making their own insurance claim.

Reactions: Mud
Nope. Never said it was a dude in India. That was somebody else.

Maybe it is you who needs to actually read...
You are correct, sorry my mistake. However I don't why you quoted me telling that guy to read the posts. There is a huge difference between a company's representatives coming to your place of business multiple times and working closely with you and being foolish enough to be scammed from India.

You are correct, sorry my mistake. However I don't why you quoted me telling that guy to read the posts. There is a huge difference between a company's representatives coming to your place of business multiple times and working closely with you and being foolish enough to be scammed from India.
I quoted you without rereading the post you quoted. I'm sorry that is my bad!

We had our IT guy restrict access to our original website as soon as we figured there was a problem. We have disputed the charge with the credit card company, they are investigating, and we are waiting to see what they can do. Down payment given in June with a target date of September 30 for completion. This didn't seem unusual, there were photographers and video shorts involved which were completed. We had regular contact with them until September 1. Really strange that they did that much work if it was a scam from the start. I'm beginning to think the company may have just gone out of business, or the owner died or is in jail.

Really strange that they did that much work if it was a scam from the start. I'm beginning to think the company may have just gone out of business, or the owner died or is in jail.
Similar to what happened to the company I dealt with. The original owner died. The kids stripped the company and went bankrupt. I got all my money back. Kudos to the wife for using the guaranteed credit card!

The credit card folks will probably want you to send the guy a registered letter signature required. When it is returned to you as undeliverable that will be part of the puzzle.

Good luck!

Just my 2c from someone that has dealt more with criminal courts, but..... If you don't get action with your card co, I'd still recommend you do a pro-se through small claims at the max amount, name all parties as defendants. Anyone you can think of, personal names, and the company. They will receive a summons to appear. Lack of appearance will either be a judgement in your favor or warrants issued, depending on judge.

Police are for criminal matters such as they took your money without a trace, that is fraud. This is more civil in nature.

Now a judgement is NOT a payment, but it is a piece of paper you can attach as lien to any of their property. There are other powers but I doubt you want to get that far. Point is pro-se in small claims is a bit of time and little cost. I would not use an atty for such a case. Have all your documents in order.

The summons for court (served upon them) is what many times gets traction. Most people won't take a simple step towards court action. You paid for a service and received none of it. That is a simple case!

EUREAKA!!!!!!! The credit card company refunded the entire amount. It took 3 months, but there is a credit in our account equal to the amount we paid for the deposit. Boy is that good news. Glad I didn't have to bother Uncle Guido. Lesson for the day, there is real value in using a credit card for payment.

Back