What's new
What's new

containing coolant

madmachinst

Stainless
Machine homes to left and I would rather leave the table uncovered in event want to use fixture plate.
cutter here is only 3/16" but what happens when running coolant same RPM 1/2" cutter? Big mess all over floor. Any ideas for coolant containment? That meager little splash guard is barely good enough for one side. It helps that's all.

Last edited:
I used to use either bent aluminum, or bent plexiglass sheets for this on a Milltronics Partner 4.

Make them with a bit less than a 90 degree bend each, and tall enough to catch the flung chips and coolant. For smaller parts, two could surround the work area, for larger parts use a couple more to contain the majority.

A sheet offcut of plexi works well glued to a dollar store magnetic level, for plonking it in place on the top face of the vise.

They have enough mass to stop the spray and chips, but if you mess up and the mill returns to Home after the work is done, and attempts to rapid through them, they simply fall on the floor or fall over.

I would try and contain the noise first.
Move your computer screen higher.
The fancy t slot covers are preventing coolant from going into the coolant drains.

I would try and contain the noise first.
Move your computer screen higher.
The fancy t slot covers are preventing coolant from going into the coolant drains.
Noise aint too bad.
Computer screen can't be moved up only out of the way.
T slot covers have holes in them and coolant goes by nicely. Its the stuff that gets sprayed when face milling or using 3/8 inch cutter or bigger that is annoying me. All over the floor. No spraying in this vid. Just showing what machine is like so people can suggest more appropriate solutions.

I used to use either bent aluminum, or bent plexiglass sheets for this on a Milltronics Partner 4.

Make them with a bit less than a 90 degree bend each, and tall enough to catch the flung chips and coolant. For smaller parts, two could surround the work area, for larger parts use a couple more to contain the majority.

A sheet offcut of plexi works well glued to a dollar store magnetic level, for plonking it in place on the top face of the vise.

They have enough mass to stop the spray and chips, but if you mess up and the mill returns to Home after the work is done, and attempts to rapid through them, they simply fall on the floor or fall over.
gonna see if I can do anything mechanical or magnetic to mount plexi to left side of table. Same to mount plexi to vise. something that can quickly be laid down when changing workpieces and goes back up when my hands are out of the way.

I have 50 pcs of different size sheet metal,mostly alum.,some car/truck/motorcycle plates that I use for
"flow control", so I can built to suit the job at hand.
Gw

Back